Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2018, 01:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pistachio scale Vought F4U Corsair  (Read 2935 times)
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 92

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 03:57:25 AM »

I hate to get a little off topic but, Richard, your I-16 design was a hit at the last WESTFAC in Arizona. A father-son team of George and Jonathon Nunez took your balsa peanut plan in a 1994 issue of Aeromodeller and enlarged it to, I think, 20"span. They decked them out in Spanish Civil War colors and flew them very successfully. The show stopper flight was an impromptu mass launch between the two and they circled together trying to get on each others tail right in front of the tents----it was very cool. Jonathan got flights of 55 seconds after some initial trimming challenges and was a serious competitor. Interestingly, both planes were very spirally unstable until a couple of tricks were pulled. Jonathon glued a small clear plastic vane right at the front of the cowl which cut down on the effect of the vertical tail. His dad, George, cut down on the actual vertical tail itself and from that point on they flew like piper cubs. You can see the cut-down sheet balsa rudder on George's. In looking at the side view of the airplane itself with that big cowl area ahead of the CG, you would think that it would need a BIGGER vertical tail rather than a smaller one but not so. At any rate, they were tickled with the results as it is a lot of fun to see models fly in spite of themselves.....and it is so gratifying to astound the peanut gallery of experts too!
Wow! Thanks for this news Tom. I'm chuffed George and Jonathon have got such pleasure from this little design. I too remember being amazed at how well my little peanut model flew, and for that matter the foam Pistachio too. None were built with any real hope that they would fly well, but more so because I liked the looks of the full size. As you say they just seem to fly in spite of themselves!

Richard Crossley
GRB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

Its built using the carved foam technic that I pioneered with others about 20 years ago.

Interesting thread.  Where can I find more information about the carved foam technique?

Thanks
GRB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: