Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 16, 2018, 06:18:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DT set up help  (Read 457 times)
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »

Relative newbie to free flight. Building my second embryo ( modified Embryo Streak). My first embryo was kind of heavy and would do about 45 seconds consistently. Didn’t bother to put a DT on it.
Trying to build much lighter this time and want to add a DT. I’ve seen some examples for larger models with pop up stabs and wings.
What’s easiest for these smaller models? Anybody have photos of their DT set ups they can share?
Thanks for the help.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »

I don't know if it would work on an embryo, but I on catapult launch gliders, I used to use a tab at the front that stuck out to one side and induced a spiral dive.  You can see such a tab at the bottom of this page:
https://amaglider.com/?p=view&a=dethermalizer-article
I used homemade viscous timers made with silly putty, though you have to account for the temperature. One was a pin dragged through a trough, as seen in the page above. Another used a tube in a tube. I think this kind is easier. If you use tubes that fit tightly, you can use damping grease instead. My intuition says that these will be more consistent, and perhaps there's some kind of damping grease that's less affected by temperature. I haven't tried that yet, though, only tubes that are fairly loose, with silly putty.
http://www.gregorie.org/freeflight/silly_dt/index.html

I'm wondering, with something like an embryo, if you couldn't just use a lot of rudder and get a spiral dive, using the freewheeling prop as a brake to prevent things from being too extreme. The P-30 guys use a pop off wing retained by a thin line. And, of course, there's the traditional pop  up stab.

Having once helped proxy fly for Chet Bukowski at the FAC Nats, I can attest that a good embryo really needs a good DT. Three maxes and then we lost it in the corn before the fly off.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »

Look over at the Bad Axe in the embryo section and how it was  built for the wing to release for it to  dt. This is a well designed bird and wing pop off to let it down .
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »

Check out Maxout's video on DT.  He describes an embry pop off wing DT at the 3:30 mark.

https://youtu.be/LL85oy1NwQc

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. What about an example for a set up on an embryo for a pop off wing with a button timer?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

Look for the  Go Devil video where Thomas Hallman flies his with a wing pop up from the front of the wing lifting up you will see why it is better to keep the wing attached . It really is worth looking for his video. Hope you can see this video.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »

Thanks! I did see the video. His pop up wing DT works well. I can see he is using a rotary damper but can’t really see how he set it up. I figured out a way to do it this afternoon and will post pics when I get further along in the build.
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »

Here's a link to the video for those who haven't found it yet: Click Here for Go Devil video

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: