Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2018, 04:18:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW I Cook Up  (Read 42530 times)
dputt7 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »

Thanks for your interest fellas, it's always good to get some feed back.

I managed to get some plastic tube to finish off the manifolds on the second Mercedes, I've also been working on the nacelles, Carved up a form and used some 1.5mm plastic sheet I had lying around to plunge mould them, sounds very thick but I first tried .75mm and it wouldn't pull to the full depth, the final versions are between .010'' and .015'' thick though still quite thick on the top which has to be removed anyway. I've lightly scribed a line where on the full-size the top separates and hopefully this will show up after painting, not too sure what the latches look like so I just stuck on some small lengths of strip in the appropriate position. The removable rear cowlings were plunge moulded over the rear of the form and will need to be trimmed after the nacelles are attached.
                                                                                                                                       Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: WW I Cook Up
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: May 09, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »

Hi Dave - those twin engines DO look great on those nacelles !!   Cool

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »

I rarely use profanities but those engines complete with nacelles doan 'arf look blooming good - stripe me they do!!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 124

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: May 09, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »

at least you didn't drop the "B" word!.... David these WW1 planes are models within models. Nice work on those motors!

The Threadkiller!
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: May 09, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »

Put those engines under a viewing case.
They should not be allowed at a contest.
Fabulous work Davey.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: May 09, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »

You know Mike I had a suspicion they might have come from a Wing Nuts kit - being based down there!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »

Simply amazing work Dave!! 
yagua
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

and still trying!

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: May 10, 2018, 08:09:50 AM »

In the movie "Faraway, So close!", the angel Cassiel repeat Lou Reed lirics saying "Why can´t I be good?".
I look at your pictures and think "Why can´t I be THAT good?"  Cry

27º19'54.94'' S
58º56'52.31'' W
HOME SWEET HOME!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: May 13, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »

Sadly, the engine for my Eindekker will be nothing like as professional. The kit provides smooth white plastic tube for the cylinders. The instructions say nothing about the cooling fins but this time, rather than winding on thread, I decided to try and 'print' them on using a bit of ribbed plastic which I think was once part of a pen. The printing doesn't go right round- it's just to hint at the presence of oily fins, which might be enough for this kind of model once the pushrods are on too.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: May 13, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »

Looks like a motor to me!

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: May 13, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »

Pete do remember you are looking at it with the benefit of bias born out of it being your creation and as a consequence you know from what it is made and where every blemish and inaccuracy lies.  So you can’t give it a fair view.  Finish it and then have another look.  One thing I notice is that it is not by a long way overdone with oversized fins so it looks like a chunk of Acme thread.  I bet you a Morris dancers anklet that when finished it will half please you.

And Crabby have you got your glasses on.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »

Thanks Crabby and David. I must have come across more negatively than I intended as I'm actually quite pleased with the effect. As you say, the fins seem more in proportion than sometimes happens with the thread method, and they're not hairy either! The whole thing will be tucked inside the cowl anyway, so I'm hopeful it will do its impressionistic job well.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: May 13, 2018, 05:03:37 PM »

There you are Crabby - job done!

Pete,

i did not see it as negative - just a little too self critical but then if one is say disappointed with an "effort" easy to be so.

Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:25 AM »

Ha ha ha! I am a watercolorist’s son! And a gifted BS artist by trade he was! Now everything I do is by “attempted impression!” I happen to subscribe to the theory that less is more! Whenever I look closely at my Olde Man’s craft I come away chuckling saying:”well I’ll be damned! That Olde so & so!” I hope he is getting along with St. Peter!  Grin  Grin  Roll Eyes  Wink I can only attempt to imitate the Master!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:45:59 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: May 15, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »

Wing made. It goes right through the fuselage in one piece. The wing is a little higher than it should be for scale purposes, which allows the rubber motor to clear it underneath and will aid stability too I should imagine.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

Hi Pete.   Your EIII is looking fine.   Cool     How much dihedral do the plans call for in your  Dumas  30"  Fokker EIII Eindecker.   I did not put in the dihedral into my  Dumas   17 1/2"   EIII , which is probably the reason it did not fly - I never knew any better as I had just started back into the hobby 5 years ago when I built it  ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: May 15, 2018, 03:53:03 PM »

Thanks, Richard. The plan says 1.5 inches under each wingtip. That's what I did, although it's only an inch now that it's off the board, no doubt due to natural sag from gravity*. Certainly Eindekkers can be made to fly well without dihedrel (by some people anyway) but I'm building this to plan under UK Kit Scale rules, and looking forward to the easier trimming that the dihedrel and enlarged tail surfaces should bring me. One thing I might change though are the markings, which I might re-make with tissue as the peel-and-stick crosses provided look a bit thick and shiny for my liking.

(* something that affects some of us more than others!)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:58 AM »

Yes - the peel and stick decals seem to be the norm now - and yet waterslide ones have been around since before the war I am sure. Is there something in their production that makes them impractical?  But they seem to continue on in plastic kits?

I remember too on the full size aircraft the roundels etc. often looked pretty shabby and worn. So dulling them down is a good idea Pete.
Rich Adams
Silver Member

Kudos: 100

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: May 16, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »

dputt, those engines in their nacelles were meant to be. Well done! There is a lot of work represented in just building those engines.

Pete, nice progress on the Eindecker. Definitely on my list to do someday. I guess we all have lists...As far as dihedral goes, it would look better without it and maybe the thing would react much like a typical midwing where you get a bit of dihedral effect by having the fuselage breaking the flow over the top span? I'm no expert and the comment is not meant as criticism

The engine is coming along nicely. I think exposed air-cooled engine cylinders have been the one thing that keeps some models from being built. They are a pain to do no matter the technique employed. I have puzzled it over and haven't come up with an effective way it can be done with just ordinary model tools. Laser cutting and assembling is about the best thing since Williams Bros cylinders at our scales have become hard to get if not impossible.

Otherwise, great to see it and this cook up progressing.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2018, 06:21:19 AM »

On the Bird Dog I built a few years ago, I drilled out the KP bearing for a larger 16g shaft and it worked well.
Dan.

Thanks Dan- good idea, and what I've now done for the EIII. The only problem is that with the whole cowl noseblock being so deep, if I stick in the KP bearing permanently I won't be able to get at the adjustment nuts on the back. So I've made it a tight fit in a square hole so I can prise it out when I need to make thrustline adjustments. Should look okay once painted up to match the engine.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:01:06 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »

That's pretty much what I did, Pete. Then cyanoed everything solid once trimmed. Of course I absolutely did not cyano the prop shaft just as solid as everything else and have to spend hours sorting it out, honest...

Fokker looks like it should be a real floater. As I've said before, it's surprising that we haven't seen more of the Dumas stuff in KS to date.

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »

I agree- they have a really nice range.
A few pics of the engine. The KP unit is painted to match and I also filled in the four little holes. The whole rotary, now with pushrods and a bit more dirtied up, is glued into the cowl. With side thrust there won't be much prop clearance from the cowl, but a bead behind the prop should sort that out.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: May 20, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

That wil do nicely I think!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 152

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: May 21, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »

Very effective and you have an adjustable thrust line. Neat.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: May 22, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »

A small update whilst waiting for a call...... flew the Spud last Sunday - beautiful day with perfect conditions.  Test glide was OK so a couple of hundred turns - encouraging.  Another couple of flights with additional turns each time and one or two slight adjustments.  So back to the car for a coffee.

Suddenly from nowhere came a gust - a thermal going through I assume and which our chums in Texas call a "Texas Trash Hauler".  It was particularly violent and took my three boxed up, including the Spud in its box for safety, dumping them all some 30 cards away cartwheeling and scattering lids and contents everywhere - including the Lewis Gun which I had taken off and put in a bag in the box for safety.

The Lewis Gun has vanished of course and the Spud had a couple of cracked longerons and severely bent tail plane and a slightly less bent fin.  Dinks in tissue etc. repairable of course but infuriating as it was the ideal day for trimming that kind of model. 

Flew the Scram later - that got into some heavy lift and would have been quickly OOS but for the radio assist on rudder - full throw is a very good D/T  but even then is was unwilling to come down.  So a good day really.  With Old Warden being very flyable the previous Sunday we have never had it so good!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: