Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 25, 2018, 03:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW I Cook Up  (Read 35675 times)
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: June 10, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

Nice work Pete that really looks the part.

Andrew

Klunk
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: June 10, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »

Thank you Pete, found it and ordered some.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 72

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: June 11, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »

Looks like a real floater Pete, well done.
    Well I've spent some of the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend finishing the floats for the WD11.   Thanks to Crabby who sent me an article on WW1 marine lozenge that also agreed with the articles in my Windsock Data files, I've made up a more accurate file to print the lozenge tissue. It is a lot "grayer" than I previously thought, though it doesn't show that so much in the photos, I tried with the flash off and on and it still photographs brighter than it looks. This is probably a good thing as when I first printed it out it seemed too dull compared with the WW1 photos, might be a good idea the take a b/w photo of the model when completed as a comparison.    The non slip grates on the top of the floats are balsa but the underside strakes are cut from 1mm ply for a bit of durability. The float drainage/inspection hatches have been punched from .25mm plasticard.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: WW I Cook Up
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 112

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »

Wow, I just got a great idea for a surfboard!

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: June 11, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »

Dave, they do look very nice - on the colouring I guess that immersion in seawater will have had an effect on the colours so anything that is close to the photograph will surely be beyond challenge?  I remember Meteors Venoms Vampires and Hunters of varying hues due to wear and tear sunlight rain etc.  Seawater is pretty harsh.  There is so much to praise in this model an "error" that can only be presumed at best will hardly be significant.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

Dave - those wood gratings, on top of the floats, look pretty real, and perfectly nicely spaced !!   Shocked   Really enjoying your build of that WW1  GOTHA   WD.II   "Wasser Doppeldecker" (water biplane) Torpedo Bomber Seaplane.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »

Beautiful floats, Dave! Must do a seaplane one day.

Here are a few more Fokker EIII pics, now that I've added the pilot. I didn't make a new one as this weathered looking chap was lurking around on a shelf looking for a new job (his previous mount- Morane Parasol- having been scrapped!)
I also added two forward bracing wires to the kingpost. These are actual wire, rather than elastic. It's a fault of this kit design that all of the suggested rigging wires (if built as instructed) pull backwards, meaning the glued on bracing post gets pulled over under the combined tension. The two compensating wires I've added are at least scale though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:11:06 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 143

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »

Very authentic looking floats Dave - a lot of work there. Your Fokker E111 looks like it wants to get out and fly now - no mucking around. Smiley Very nice.

John
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: June 15, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »

Your Eindekker looks terrific Pete - ready for a right old scourge!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: June 19, 2018, 11:30:37 PM »

Managed to get some more done on the WD11, covered the center sections and the tail unit first with Lightweight Polyspan then covered the bottom surfaces with Peck Buff tissue to simulate the natural linen. Next I printed enough Lozenge tissue to cover the upper surfaces. I really made a mistake mounting the nacelles to the lower center section before covering as it made it difficult to cut out an exact hole in the printed tissue so it fitted closely and a the hexagons were square to the wing. I sprayed the side surfaces an appropriate shade of grey and the underside of the fuse a lighter shade that matched my references. The centersection struts are made from 2mm carbon fiber rod with a balsa fairing. I normally wrap these struts with dope and tissue for strength but this time I tried some shrink tube and it seemed to work well without much weight gain. That's it for now!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: June 20, 2018, 04:29:00 AM »

Masterclass stuff. 
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 143

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: June 20, 2018, 05:18:20 AM »

Nice work Dave. Don't keep us in suspense - how did you get such a neat fi around the nacelles on the top of the wing centre section?

The lozenge tissue really stands out.

It's interesting to see that the heat shrink on the struts takes paint that well.

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: June 20, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »

John, I used a very scientific method, I drew around the mold and cut out a card template, then I squared it to the leading edge.  Using the shrink tube came to me in the middle of the night, it was one of those things that might work and was worth a try.

Managed to cover the wings with Polyspan this arvo and then gave them a coat of dope tonight
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: June 23, 2018, 09:40:28 PM »

Made a little progress on the Walfisch.... bent the wire for the gear struts, still need soldering. Made the wheels with cross grain laminated wheels with aluminum bearings.  I made a Mercedes engine that is still being completed with a foam exhaust collector.  Got the fuselage covered with some light blue tissue.  Ran out of gluestick so will be waiting on new gluesticks for the wings and empennage.  Here's a few pics...
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: June 24, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »

Nice work Tom, and good to see your progress.

Agree with John, Dputt7, how do you do what you do?  Rhetorical question of course. 
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 112

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »

Nice work going on here. I confess I have been been holding off on the Tripe-Hound while I fix and fly. The weather has been great for it in Palm Bay. Anyway.... while shopping at Ace the other day I saw these fluted dowels for reinforcing furniture joints, and and thought "Vickers" so my mind was infected by a juvenile temptation to make a gun for my tripe. As a very young artist no airplane picture was complete without fire breathing cannons, lead puking machine guns, and swastikas all over the place Roll Eyes. The gun sight is gonna happen as soon as I find a straw the right diameter. Meanwhile, I was removing the pricetag from a shirt I got at Goodwill, and saw a perfect basis for the wind-driven fuel pump more later.

The Threadkiller!
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: June 24, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

Quote from: Crabby
... fluted dowels for reinforcing furniture joints, and thought "Vickers" ...
That's a good idea, but aren't they going to be a touch on the heavy side?  The only ones I've seen on this side of the puddle are pine.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: June 24, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »

Walfisch looking very nice. I also like the furniture peg Vickers gun idea.

Had a very quick first trimming session with the Fokker this evening. Quick because my wife's brother's visiting and I was under strict orders to be back for the evening meal. Therefore I didn't manage much more than a few glides and low powered meanderings. Quite promising though with no alarms so far. It seems quite floaty and it was all so much more relaxing than recent efforts trying to trim my much heavier Callair. In fact I'm quite determined never to build another model in the 'brick s***house' wing loading category. They're just not worth the heartache.
Anyway, no vids worth posting yet but here's a still from one, proving it at least got some air beneath its wings...
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: June 24, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »

That looks great Pete! Looking very promising if that's just the start.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: June 24, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »

Sounds like a sound resolution, Pete!  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: