Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2018, 04:37:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW I Cook Up  (Read 38791 times)
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 121

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: July 09, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »

Finally getting around to the covering of the Tripe-Hound, I realized I pulled some shenanigans. (1) I forgot the outward strut attachments on the upper wing, and (2) Being in love with the overall simplicity of this design, I took the easy way out with the stab. It was P!$$ poor to say the least. I was so in love with the scale that I used terrible lumber in the stab. When you are making love to the Queen and placating the King its easy to forget the Bishop. Guilty as charged! Rebuilding the stab the right way now, using over-sized lumber and sanding to desired thickness. Regrettably I have been an unreliable bench-visitor the last few months, stopping by to check on the triage unit, while forgetting the new-borns! I have to get the Tripe-Hound done and done well so I can start the Pup!

The Threadkiller!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:28 AM »

Still plodding along with the WD11, I've fitted the struts to the tailplane, the drawings didn't agree with what you could see in the photos so I went with a "best guess". Made up and fitted the radiators and their associated plumbing, Fitted the Whitehead Torpedo and made up a representation of the high tech. launching gear  Shocked   Then assembled the floats and all their struts.        I think my next model will be   VERY SIMPLE!   Roll Eyes
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: WW I Cook Up
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »

WOW - that looks really great Dave - great patience and detail work! 

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: July 12, 2018, 10:19:13 AM »

I got the wings covered and the pop-gun mounted. One of these days (soon) I am gonna put the gunsight on. I had originally built the stab from 1/32 square, but I found I couldn't even breathe on it without breaking something. Then I had the head slapping A-HA moment! Build it out of hard 1/16th and sand it to desired weight. The Tripe is a deceiving looking plane. Very simple, but that makes it all the more easy to get out of line. I already know I'll have to twist the top wing on the cabanes a little to get 'em lined up with the lower wing. Maybe I am dragging a$$ on this build because I am terrified of the tedium that awaits me with the rigging. Watch me "super detail" the instrument panel while I procrastinate! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Angry Grin And of course there is the pilot who Roll Eyes will need super-detailing... Roll Eyes  Oh the weight... Embarrassed well this bride won't be carried over the thresh-hold...all added up, 15 grams! what a whale! (Leviathan) Thank Jehovah for those three wings!  All joking aside, I think I need to abandon the idea of a motor-stick, I can't bear the extra weight. That said, who wants to advise me on peg location?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:32:38 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: July 12, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »

Super nice tripe so far crabby!  15g? How did you manage that??   I'd be a bit
uneasy also on the rigging. Lots of wires create lots of drag. But still.......
If worst comes to worst, you can use that stress releaver that's on your coffee
table. Very keen engine & gun work.

Skyraider   Grin
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: July 12, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »

Hi Crabby - I agree with Skyraider 100%.   I can't wait to see how the pilot turns out - are you starting with any specific one in mind?    Crabby, I thought for sure those were the original "Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots", but I only googled it now to confirm it.  Cheesy   Doesn't the head of the robot ratchet up like a jack, when it gets punched in the jaw?    Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: July 13, 2018, 04:57:37 AM »

That is very neat and trim Crabby. Gun sight? What no head up display - whoops wrong era.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »

Yes, nice and neat (typically) but pretty simple engine........  Wink Cool
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: July 13, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »

Good am comrades. Richard, my daughter gave me rock 'em sock 'em robots for Christmas a few yrs ago. Yes the heads jack straight up when you apply the chin music! we have had some really big bouts here. I found out the hard way the the Blue Bomber has a glass jaw. He was losing bouts before anyone even landed a punch. I lost $15 to my daughter that Christmas. I stuck him on the gurney and found a very played jaw spring. He won't be taking anymore "S" from anyone now. As a good Canadian you will appreciate another classic, my 1958 Eagle Power Play rod hockey game. This thing has caused family feuds. Its been flipped over after a 16-15 blood brawl, fixed and re-fixed. Still can do a full match even now that the kids are getting better than their "Olde Man" . OK back to WW1... here is my Olde Man's Nowlen Nieuport 11. Featuring the hand painted Lafayette Escadrille Indian. Also, Williams Brothers motor (boo) Its a peanut and weighs in at 17.5 gr. very heavy by his standards. That pretty aluminum cowl doesn't help. This is another plane, like the Eindecker that is way over on investment and falls short on return. (for me) Unless you are Pete Fardell, (or my Uncle Hank, (RIP) who maintained that anything will fly if you throw it hard enough). More Tripe-Hound coming up soon. Sorry for the novelette, I like to write, and unlike the Brits, I can't compress it all into a simple short one-liner! That's skill! I hope Trumpy minds his manners while visiting the Queen, though I think she can paddle his fat A$$! And I hope all the Euros don't think this charlatan represents the whole nation!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:55:27 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »

Nice to know your children have a good sense of judgement when it comes to presents.

To increase my "ignore rating" further  I am going to confess I am warming to Mr Trump and am also a Brexiteer. 

Bigbandito
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »

Nice work Crabby! Your work is inspiration for my Spitfire.

my daughter gave me rock 'em sock 'em robots for Christmas a few yrs ago.

I bought one for my kids about ten years ago. Did you notice it's a 1/8 scale working model of the original from the 60's? (I had one as a kid.)

Cheers

"If you love something, set it free...  Just make sure you've got a DT on it."  - Richard Bach (paraphrased)
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: July 13, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »

Crabby, Your rod hockey game is a grail item for many of us that love(d) the game.  I still play and host a small tourney of my son's friends and their dads.  They don't like losing to my daughter. It brings me much joy.  Teenaged boys losing by a couple of goals to a 13 y/o girl.  Priceless.

I love your dad's models.  Especially enjoyed the Sop Tripe video.  Watched it a bunch.  Funny, as a kid I used to admire his paintings in the mags, and now I get to enjoy his models!  For a guy I never met, he left an impression.  Probably a good thing he didn't do the box art for the rubber models I bought as a kid, I would've been in debt before high school.  Grin

Kevin
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: July 13, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

Guys one more blast form Thee Olde Man then I promise it will be back to business as usual. Here is a WW1 Caproni bomber piloted by Mayor La Guardia. Wingspan is 17" and the weight? a sickeningly shabby 11 grams.... He used all three motors, and I am lucky to say I never had to stooge for him with this thing. It would have been traumatizing. No blast tubes, and he was a wind-counter with a sensitive hand on the crank. I did stooge for him a lot and if a motor broke and you just happened to have said something, or got stung by a bee, you are a goner! He was completely blind in one eye since the age of 12. He really looked weird without his glases, we went sailing a lot and I liked to jibe (tack away from the wind) which pissed him off, so once I did it and he had his foot on the main sheet, so the boom was stopped mid travel, and we flipped. He came up without his glasses on! He looked like Lon Chaney's ghost, and shouted obscenities like Hitler with hemorrhoids.  We were in 10-15 feet of water, and I dove three times before I found them. I laughed like a hyena the whole way home, and was off tiller-duty for the rest of my life. Thanks for your indulgence while I shoot the bull.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:56:25 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: July 13, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »

Museum piece!  11gms?  Enough to make one spit bullets!!  But thank you - and for the yarn - very interesting and sound as though you had a good early life.  Would such things be permitted today i wonder.  Does not seem to have done you any harm anyway.  That is the thing isn't it - older folk have survived all kinds of hazards - some inflicted some not. I don't mind by the way if you indulge yourself a little more. My father did not build models -in fact was not that practical but he encouraged me when it was obvious I has a yearning. He was very good at interpreting instructions.
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: July 13, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »

Awesome Caproni Crabby!  Your dad just had that gifted touch. Thanks for sharing
an outstanding model and for that great story.

Skyraider
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »

Thanks for all the stories of a bygone era Crabby - very enjoyable. Your Dad builds are remarkable - 17" WS Caproni weighing 11gms!

"Hitler with haemorrhoids"  Smiley Smiley What were you Crabby a novelist or a journalist? - you have an unending supply of these jewels.

John
Crabby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: July 17, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »

I got the wings press fit and I think its gonna line up ok. Its kinda melodramatic after all this time picking away at it. Still a long way to go. I hope it doesn't sit there and put on weight! Lower starboard wing is kicked up a bit the outboard strut will cure it!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: