Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2018, 09:38:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW I Cook Up  (Read 42507 times)
ffadict
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »

Hmmm, the makeup applicator is a good idea, but I happen to know that my mother has a large stockpile for just this kind of modeling use Wink . Actually, I think I go as far as I dare when I use her hair dryer for drying tissue Smiley
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: August 09, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »

Got a few panel lines done and a couple crosses applied with black tissue.  I decided to paint on the mouth and eye.  I made a mistake with the eyes and had to redo some edges because of bleed under the tape I used... I took off too much sticky!!!  Live and learn. 

Still have to finish some panel lines and rigging.  But couldn't wait to mockup the components again, so here's the progress...
Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: WW I Cook Up

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 82

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: August 09, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »

That's looking really great. What an interesting model!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: August 09, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »

Cor!!!!  In a word.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 152

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »

Tm I think you need to take out an insurance policy on that fuselage finish particularly Wink What a different looking finish. The pilot must have had an unusual sense of humour Smiley

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: August 14, 2018, 03:30:23 AM »

Just about finished the WD11, just some rework needed. While handling the model I keep on knocking the adjustable rudders, they also seem a bit flimsy so I think I will redo them as one piece units.

Made up the interplane struts using 3/32'' aluminium tube and faired with balsa, then some heatshrink tube over the outside. This seems to work well on the larger models and saves a lot of filling and sanding.     I rigged the wings with stretchy plastic, the cross braces between the struts hold the panels together and the wings can be removed as a unit. The rigging allows for movement in the (likely) event of a hard landing. Small hooks connect the flying wires to the center section.  I represented the plates that cover the strut mountings with some plasticard squares with a dimple pressed into the center with a rounded piece of wire.
   The elevator control horns are made from sheet aluminium.
   This aircraft is fitted with type of servo assist for the ailerons which I've tried to duplicate with the info I have available.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: August 14, 2018, 03:41:49 AM »

Another view of the aileron servo and some photos of the complete model.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: August 14, 2018, 04:23:39 AM »

I just would of want to risk flying that - far too precious!  But I suspect you will and it will fly ........ but regardless it is a superb example of Aeromodelling at its finest!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:01 AM »

That is truly majestic Dave - from the floats to the horrified expression on the pilot's face. It would seem that the full size may have had fun taking off with the pusher props so close to the water at the bottom of their rotation.

It must have been close to the largest sea plane(as opposed to flying boats) ever built.

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »

Thank you David and John for your comments, they are appreciated.
   John, at 22.5 mtrs wingspan the WD11 was a dwarf compared with the Seaplane version of the Staaken R.VI at 42 mts.
   Just watch it " leap " into the air from about 9 minutes into this video. https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/580446?set_lang=de

Then just before WW2 Blohm & Voss built the Ha139 At 29.5 mtrs. they were originally Mail planes then later used as minesweepers There are others but you get the idea.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »

Amazing footage Dave. I like the bloke who, at 1:45, says 'sod this for a game of soldiers' and gets off just as it moves.
Have you tried the Staaken yet Dave?!
Bill
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »

Thanks for that Dave - what a period that was! How many crew I wonder - people popping out from everywhere.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »

Fantastic film.  I was waiting for the map to blow away.  Pity that aircraft "developed" after this time.  Fantastic model as well.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: August 15, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »

Astonishing bit of film! Thanks for sharing it.

Another bit of WW1 related footage that amazed me recently is this gem featuring Fokker D.VIIIs, which someone kindly shared on a facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/achim.engels.31/videos/2351039674921239/?t=3

(Sorry, the link might not work if you're not on facebook)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: August 15, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »

Thanks for that Dave - incredible footage. I'm impressed by the quality and the way the Staakens flew. The airport staff were pretty laid back then - love the shot of the guy walking across the strip as the Staaken is approaching to land.

Also all the animated talk between the mechanics and the pilots in flight - how could they hear each other? Smiley.

Very impressive aircraft! At the end of the war they found design studies at the Zeppelin works for even bigger aircraft many of all metal construction.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: August 16, 2018, 07:15:36 AM »

Yes, some incredible machines in those days.  And they had no real precedents to follow or “technology” of any substance.  All working it out with pencil and paper and fingers crossed. And seat of the pants flying.  I wonder if speech was by lip reading like in the Mills of yesteryear? But as you say John no H&S.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »

The thing that amazes me is that all this was happening only 14 years after the Wright Bros made there epic hop. Also the way the tradesmen of the day were able to adapt their skills from making horse drawn carts and such and even steam engines to produce not only one aircraft but to actually build them in large numbers.  Even then they had to find and train people to fly these contraptions to the target and then (sometimes) return.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: August 16, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »

The engineering behind these designs is quite impressive. I read an account of the R bombers a coupe of years ago and the research - motors, propellers and structures was quite impressive. They even had  a supercharged engine installation on one of the Staarkens. It was a separate engine driven supercharger mounted in the fuselage delivering compressed air to the motors outside.

The best had a duration of 8-10hrs and a ceiling of 14,000' and a top speed of 80mph.

Truly remarkable as Dave says 14 years after the Wrights.

John
jbfly
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: August 17, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »

How did these guys go to 14,000 ft without oxygen?  I have read WWI stories about fighter pilots getting very high
to intersept  enemy fighters.  How did they do it??
Most engines have only a fraction of their power at altitude above 10,000 ft.

jbfly
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »

People have climbed Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen and that is about 29000 feet. 20,000 should be easily practical for pilots.
ian
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: