Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2018, 11:16:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WW I Cook Up  (Read 48525 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: September 14, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »

PS Here it is, along with the original

http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page3a.htm

I would guess it's hopeless for rubber and you have to cut the many parts out yourself.
Rhys
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: September 14, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »

Thanks for the response Bill. I have one new in package and have been contemplating having a go at it. I realise its printwood. That doesn't put me off but am unsure about the complexity of the build. The completed 504s on Mike's site certainly provide incentive.

Rhys
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 80

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: October 28, 2018, 05:10:51 AM »

Well during the big shut down I was thumbing through some "old" Aeromodeller's   (Jan 2016) and saw Richard Crossley's very neat plan for a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter.   Needing a new model for Indoor that I could also fly Outdoors I decided to give it a go.  Now I don't usually build from plans but I decided that if I followed closely with just a few alterations to satisfy myself it would work out OK. First mods were to blow it up to 24" and turn it into a B1, the single seat bomber version.  I dithered over scale rib spacing but in the end I followed the plan, I also laminated the outlines and went with a wire undercart.   One thing I couldn't use was the printed engine so I made up a Clerget from balsa.  When it came time for the finned cylinders I decided that bendy straws would do however I could not find any large enough. In the end I spun up some balsa cylinders then cut the straws and forced them over the balsa to give me the correct diameter. As the rear of the cylinders are not visable in this model from the front it looks OK. Covering and painting are well under way so I will post soon.

Dave
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: WW I Cook Up
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: October 28, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »

Just about ready to assemble, I used Peck tissue mainly because I like the color as a match for doped linen, it doesn't cover as good as some but I can live with the few wrinkles. The French markings and metalwork are sprayed Humbrol Enamel but the Unit badge is a decal that I drew in "Paint", I found 3 sources on the net but by the time I enlarged them they were very pixilated , so I cut out the Swan and drew around it then filled in the color with "Paint". Probably not the best way to go about it but it suited me.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: October 29, 2018, 05:06:13 AM »

The tissue colour does look great Dave and the swan is elegant! What did you use for the light shading near the aileron outlines? It is a neat looking model.

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: October 29, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »

Hi John
                I just lightly airbrushed some light grey along the hinge lines then marked the outlines with a thin permanent marker.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: October 31, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »

The Strutter is together now and I'm about ready for a test flight, decided not to rig this model as it's not a highly detailed model. I think there is enough detail to make it interesting and while not my best work I'm reasonably pleased with the result.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: October 31, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »

……….a couple more photos.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: October 31, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

It looks very nice Dave. Not much rigging on a Strutter - it would make it a lot stronger and set it off nicely
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: October 31, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »

I agree- and you don't need to put it all on. I always try to talk myself out of rigging, but even just the main cross wires between the wings seem to make WW1 bipes look far better.

(It looks very nice already though!)
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 130

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: October 31, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »

Dave great work on the Strutter! Regretfully, I have neglected to show my appreciation of your fine motor-work! I made mine out of paper.  What a job! This thing of mine is indeed a slow boat to China and it took a bourbon and a spliff to summon the guts to grab the white acrylic and the fine oxhair brush and hand letter "BLYMP" onto the forward fuse of the Tripehound. I have taken the "no computer oath" from here on. Lets see how long I can hang on..... She's been eating bon bons whilst alone at the bench. Weight now tilting 18 grams! Where am I going to place the the motor peg? Still have to place the red stripe aft of the roundel and fiddle de de with the wiring! Wing incidences are 0,1,2..... OK,.... roundels on upper wing are hand-painted esaki, mounted with window graphics film. BTW, they are not hanging off the trailing edges, they are just as big as I could get 'em.......Jeez she's an elegant looking bird for all the man-handling she has put up with!   Don, you really did it this time!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:46:24 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: October 31, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »

That's a steady hand Crabby even after the bourbon Smiley It's a elegant looking model - Sopwith's to me have a natural functional beauty.

John
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: November 01, 2018, 07:15:46 PM »

Well I got a chance to try the Strutter this morning, bit surprised as to how much weight was needed to balance and establish some sort of glide. That may account for my underestimating the rubber required.
 I used 4 strands of .150" 1 1/2 times prop to peg and that only produced a powered glide. Even with 700 turns as in the video it only provided a circuit, looks like it will at least need some .187" rubber.https://youtu.be/_0SOpBe0l8k
  Well I'm off for 10 days so I will have to think about some rigging ( thanks fellas I was only being lazy) so maybe then it will need 1/4" rubber!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:39 AM »

Your Strutter looks great Dave (I remember that plan in AM) and you've got it airborne in the nick of time!

Rigging is a must - you'll have loads of power in the end, and the marginal extra drag always looks more scale!  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: November 05, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »

Just to say that, although its got its own build thread elsewhere in this parish, my Lee's Hobbies Peanut Bristol Scout (converted for CO2) has - just a few days before the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - been completed.  Phew.

Several piccies on the final page of the main thread http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=19935.msg232899#msg232899 but just one here... for the record!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: November 13, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »

Very neat effort Jack.

Well I've been off on holidays for 10 days and just got back, my daughter had to come back home for some business for a day so I got her to bring back the Strutter so I could fly it on the 11th. I thought that was part of this Cook-Up. Anyway, I found a place to fly and while it was a bit breezy I managed a flight on the 11th of November at 11.00am.

Nice to have someone to take photos, See pic1 for my Solo winding technique!   

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: November 13, 2018, 02:35:03 AM »

Good on you Dave - nice flying shots. Unique winging stooge pose Smiley It must be fun putting down the winder, disengaging the prop from the winder and retrieving the model. Very athletic Smiley

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: November 13, 2018, 03:08:46 AM »

That looks a real treat in the air Dave!  Smiley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:09 AM »

War's over...  Smiley
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: November 16, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »

I took your advice and did a simple rig on the Strutter, tried not to get too involved, no control wires.  Had the desired effect I think.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: November 16, 2018, 07:38:41 AM »

Very nice indeed. It looked great without rigging but even better with it. (Lovely Remembrance Day flying shots too!)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: November 16, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »

Sets it off perfectly - turnbuckles and all!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: November 17, 2018, 11:27:44 PM »

Beautiful commemorative flight Dave!!!

My understanding is there was some prolongation to WW 1 and peace wasn't ratified until 10 January 1920.  Not saying we should continue until 2020, just saying don't stop building if not finished.  I think quite an interesting Cook Up with some exceptional models!

Please continue to build and post.

D
dputt7
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: November 18, 2018, 12:29:02 AM »

Encouragement noted, where's some long grass!
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: November 18, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »

Seriously Davey! That winding stooge method looks somewhat hazard prone.
Great flight shots. Can you provide specks:
Weight, span, motor, prop.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: