Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2018, 03:53:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Easy Built  (Read 582 times)
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »

Happy Christmas all, or happy whatever festival gladdens your heart. As a sort of Christmas present to myself I recently received an Easy Built Grumman Avenger 28 inch wingspan, which looks very pretty in the photos on the web site. I  built the Comet 20 inch version quite a few years ago and am currently restoring and refurbishing it, although it would probably be quicker and easier to start again from scratch. I seem to remember that Easy Built were originally a Canadian outfit and that the plans were bilingual but now they are definitely from the USA. Did they move or were they taken over?

Anyway I have started cutting out bits and so far all is going well. I think a 28 inch model may be a bit big for indoor scale (I'm thinking kit scale) but on the other hand if built light enough it might work. Like the Comet model this one has a lot of wood in the fuselage formers and,  it seems to me, a slight dearth of stringers and the wing is a bit lacking in ribs. I intend to build more or less exactly to plan with slight modification to the front end. which is actually offered in the instructions. A semblance of an engine would be nice, too and perhaps a foam pilot if not a complete crew. I wonder if Sterling did one that dropped a torpedo in flight. I had a Sterling Thunderbolt years ago that lowered its undercarriage in flight but in a most unscale like fashion. Indeed I still have most of it but the undercarriage has been removed. I think they did a Spitfire that dropped a bomb and their Corsair fired rockets. What fun!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »

Grin i recently built this model and it is great outdoors.  i got rid of the precision beam in favor of the keel and former.  you will also want single piece elevators and wing.  i also beefed up the nose block.  i also convertyed it to a -3 because there is no guidance on building the turret. lots of hacks but it is a great model when yer done.  i also have built it as  box and former and that works too,
jim Grin Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Easy Built
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »

When I built mine I treated it as a "kit of a kit."  I did a lot of balsa removal to get the weight down and as noted previously, also built my stab as one piece.  I was very careful to pin the surfaces down on a parchment covered building board after shrinking and doping.  It came out very nicely and is a stable flier with pretty good performance (very easy to get over a minute outdoors.)

If I were to build it again, I would use a flat bottom airfoil as it would be easier to pin down and to put in wash-out.

Scott
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »

Glad to hear that it does fly, at least in somewhat modified form.There are definitely areas that have been left somewhat mysterious such as the nose and the area around the cockpit. The kit as sold now has a vac-formed canopy and tissue stars. I have put the canopy somewhere in a place of safety but now can't quite remember where. I imagine the original kit was intended  to have a canopy covered with cellophane or something similar. My plan is to build it as close as I can to the actual plan, possibly with knock-off outer wing panels, which might not be penalized too severely in kit scale, and obviously with a removable nose block. I have a Cleveland plan in my stash and will refer to that and the Comet 20 inch plan for the cowl area and the turret area. I do think it needs a few more stringers, preferably not of the snaky variety.  Smiley

I also think I need to build a jig.
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

I used a box to build my fuselage.  All of the formers were opened up a lot inside.  The canopy was a challenge to mount, but did work.  I would  have liked something lighter.  I used short stubs of bamboo skewers to locate the root rib to the wing plate and then tack glued the wing in place.  During trimming I knocked the wing off but did little damage so I'm glad I mounted it that way.

The notches for the stringers do not line up that well, particularly on the bottom of the fuselage near the gun stinger.

I used a formed paper tube cut at an angle for the exhaust.  A Gizmo-geezer adjustable nose piece.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »

I think if this build is successful I will probably make another, possibly with internal box structure. I'm afraid I don't know what a Gizmo-geezer is. I take it that it's a fixture that allows one to alter thrust lines without using shims. Seems like a good idea. I'll see if they're available over here, otherwise I suppose one could import one from the good ole US of A. The pin location and tack glue seems like a good idea for the wing, but a knock-off wing wouldn't be too difficult and probably wouldn't add much weight. In my stash of ancient models in need of refurbishment is a Comet 24 inch P 47 which I fitted with removable wings because I got tired of ripping them off in crashes. Last time I flew it was nearly thirty years ago, I think, but I'm sure it will still fly. I had a lot of fun with it and I'm sure I could build it lighter next time . I have often thought of converting it to a razorback , which wouldn't be difficult, but then I could just build the Golden Era Reproductions one, which has sat on a shelf for about the same length of time. I must try to confine my efforts to just a few projects because otherwise nothing actually emerges. I do prefer the razorback, but all Thunderbolts are wonderful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: