Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2018, 02:54:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clamp pins  (Read 3576 times)
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »

I never seem to have quite enough of these on some builds.
I bought them so long ago that I can't remember the supplier.

Anyone know if they're still available?

Robin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Clamp pins

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »

Robin,

Yes, i find them indespensible as well. Also, with the pin gole drilled out they make good end stops on wing band pegs and rubber motor pegs.

They can be bought from SAMs in the UK. I recall someone making homemade ones from fuel tubing.
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »

I checked with SAMS - they can't get them any more

Robin

cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

They are definitely out of production so you have to make your own. One suggestion is use a hole punch and thick polythene such as the lid of a Pringles tube!!
Ron
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »

They were made/sold by Rocket City in the Us-perhaps if you do a search for a dealer stocking Rocket city accessories you may track some down. The ones I purchased many years back came in a packet, still attached to the moulding sprue, and had to be broken off the sprues before use...

Failing any source-you may find this of some use:   http://www.volareproducts.com/PFFT/RocketCityClampsMaking.pdf

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 78

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »

Hi All .... I think I can make these ... give me a week and I will let you know what I have come up with.
BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

You have probably heard this so often that you don't want to hear it again but it is so important I must be repetitiive. Treat it as a piece of good fortune that you have run out of those pesky pins and spend your mony on some magnets and a magnet board. Magnets are so much better at doing what the pins do and can do so many other things that pins can't even tackle.
John
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »

Just because Rocket City (the original) made theirs round doesn't mean that ours have to be round. I cut up a small piece of silicone rubber sheet, about 3mm thick, into odd rectangular, triangular, trapezoidal and undefined shapes of various sizes, and the assortment gives me pads that can be used for different clamping situations. Similar sheet can be found at plumbing suppliers where it has an application in toilet installation.

art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
RobinB
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »

Thank you all for your contributions.

John, I do use a magnetic system, but it's tied up with other stuff at present.
Using that, I have various odd bits of short metal bar that I use for holding pieces down
but they're too big for those little riblets. I must cut up some smaller pieces of lead
which I know I've got somewhere  Undecided

I did try putting 'Z-bends' in some T-pins but they're so thick that it needs two hands
to push them into the Hobbyboard, which defeats the object.

Robin

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »

Not too long ago, I read that someone is distributing the pin clamps again - I think Williams Bros.  

I've been using silicon fuel tubing for years, but the thickness of "T" pins fatigues the tubing (splits) after a few weeks.  This is more prevalent on the thicker walled tubing, but I have a large supply Grin

EDIT: Found that they were offered by Nelson Hobby Products, but they are also defunct, and then by Campbell's - which is also gone.  Campbell's products were  absorbed by(?) Retro RC, I think.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:34:31 AM by Pit » Logged

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »

John, I tried to follow your suggestion of a magnetic board but seemed to hit a wall when searching for one.  I did not want some exotic piece of kit costing loads as you will appreciate. I can however sevthe merit in a magnetic board.  So can you tell me please what size you use please and where you got it.  I have tried various sources on the web. I would rather not buy unseen.
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »

David, I employed a sheet of steel purchased from B&Q for a board. I bought various sized magnets and found 3mm cubes trapped inside Lego blocks with tape make useful jigs. They are great for placing each side of ribs. Large magnets can crash together destroying any balsa structure between them.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

Talking of crashing together....One thing to be careful of with those powerful neodymium magnets is letting them Impact together, the forces are significant and can cause them to chip and the bits fly off in many directions.  As well as causing pinching!

Going off subject a little, but interesting if it ever comes to mind.  If you have one around 10-12mm in diameter, try letting it drop down a piece of common or garden copper water pipe and see what happens...

Andrew

Klunk
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »

Response to #10.
David,
Will you please go to: Indoor Free Flight Forum(here on HPA)>Legal Eagle>Penthouse Lady> and look at replies #12 and #15 there.
It is not convenient to get my wheelchair to the workshop at the moment to check actual sizes but in the pictures in reply #12 (et al) the fuselage is 14.25" long so I think the board is about 18"x12".
The picture in #24 shews magnets in use setting dihedral.
I don't know what is inside a 'Whiteboard' but if it is a steel sheet it must be (from the weight) much thinner than one in a 'magnetic' board which probably accounts for the much lower cost.
John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »

Thank you John.  Will do.
SP250
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »

Maybe a job for a 3D printer to produce multiple round discs with a centre hole and thicker boss for gripping the pin?

John M
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »

Maybe a job for a 3D printer to produce multiple round discs with a centre hole and thicker boss for gripping the pin?

John M

That's a good idea!  I'm sure there's enough of a 'micro-market' to justify someone doing the work...?

My very small collection of plastic clamping-disks (almost enough for just one wing at a time) came from SAMS' last supply of Peck's.  The wood disks subsequently supplied don't really work:  the bore quickly gets bruised and opens up making them useless, and there's no depth of neck to provide proper grip on the pin.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »

Just a thought.  Has anybody spoke to Dereck Knight?  I think he has all of the right machinery to do the job?  The injection moulding tool wouldn't exactly be rocket science.

Perhaps it is worth a word next time I see him, unless any of you see him first.

I suppose it's really how many he could sell, against the tooling and set up time.

Andrew

Klunk
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 78

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Guys .... I will 3D print em in batches of fifty. I have drawn up the CAD model now it would be useful to know the diameter of the pins you guys are using.

As an aside, I also plan to offer some nifty magnet tools for building fuselages etc.

BG

these are offered through hummingbirdmodelproducts.com
Re: Clamp pins

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »

I use pins pushed through slices of a Staedtler 528 55 Plastic Eraser refill. They work well enough and different lengths of sliced eraser provide different clamping forces. They are cheap, easily made and disposable. Regular use will make the slices loose on the pin and the eraser will go hard with age but that hardly matters.

Paul
dephela
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

They work great as erasers too!

Dennis
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »

Here's a wing under construction with the random shaped rubber pads. Cost per? My calculator doesn't have enough decimal places to figure it out accurately. Likely .00000something cents each. You can pierce them anywhere on their surface, so wear in a specifically located hole will never be an issue.
I'm using scrap lightplane cooling baffle material, but as I noted before, your local ironmonger should have something close to it in stock.

art. 
Re: Clamp pins

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pat D
Silver Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »

these should work too !

http://www.peck-polymers.com/_p/prd1/4246199015/product/p.p-pin-clamps

SBlanchard
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »

I just use these:  https://www.staples.com/staplesreg-push-pins-clear-500-tub/product_480117

They are just simple plastic push pins. No extra discs, no hunting for them as they are sold in dollar stores as well. They work perfectly. I prefer the clear ones but it really doesn't matter. Unless you are using very thick wood, they will do anything you need. If I am holding a spar in place for sliced or cracked ribs then I go for the insect pins (long and thin with a plastic head) otherwise it's these every time. I tried the magnet thing and I just don't like it that much. I'm used to pins on the back of a ceiling tile.

Steve
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »

I tried those, but the holes in the wood quickly widen and slip up the pins, also they break along the grain-line.  I tried gluing them in pairs with grains at 90 deg to each other, but they didn't last long either.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: