Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 20, 2018, 03:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clamp pins  (Read 3080 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »

I just use these:  https://www.staples.com/staplesreg-push-pins-clear-500-tub/product_480117

They are just simple plastic push pins. No extra discs, no hunting for them as they are sold in dollar stores as well. They work perfectly. I prefer the clear ones but it really doesn't matter. Unless you are using very thick wood, they will do anything you need. If I am holding a spar in place for sliced or cracked ribs then I go for the insect pins (long and thin with a plastic head) otherwise it's these every time. I tried the magnet thing and I just don't like it that much. I'm used to pins on the back of a ceiling tile.

Steve

I find these are okay for pinning down thin material (like plans), but I find the pins too short and too fat for normal use on balsa.   I do have an archaeological record of when I've used them... where my pin-board shows extreme acne scars!  Shocked
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »

Well, off I went today to the local purveyor of metal.  Slightly uneasy because they talk in large sheets pipes girders etc etc.  However outcome was that I acquired a sheet of mild steel 2ft x1ft and  2mm thick. Watching the chap use his hefty guillotine was interesting as it sliced through the sheet more easily than a craft blade through Esaki.  He then took me to the office and the chap in there said OK £3 please.  I felt that was a good result.

I have now ordered some magnets from 1st4Magnets at £5. so feel quite chuffed with things.  Smug almost.  So my thanks to John and Piecost for providing the momentum.

It is certainly flat enough for my purposes and nice and clean.  I am wondering if just to be fussy I mount it on a piece of MDF.  Any thoughts as to why not please.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »

Hi All,
I plan to offer magnetic clamping tools in the near future ... keep and eye on the tools section of my site.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »

During the holidays I noticed my wife's cookie sheets were pretty flat and one could easily use it as a magnet board for a dime scale or a bit larger. Better yet, was the ground cast iron wing on my contractor saw. You can get a 2 x 4 ft. sheet of galvanized steel at the big box store for around $10. Contact cement it to a piece of plywood.

Another thought. While watching my son's 3D printer, it's like a precision hot glue gun. Why not make blobs of hot glue on a teflon pan (remember those candy dots on a sheet of waxed paper?) or use the round glue sticks and slice discs off the end?

I do like Atesh's idea of pieces of silicone fuel line and poking the pin through the side.

Personally, I'm going to stick with my jelutong planks and Midwest modelling pins.

Norm- thinking out loud.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 01:43:11 AM »

I do like Atesh's idea of pieces of silicone fuel line and poking the pin through the side.

I like that too - quick and easy to cut, and the 'give' in the tubing should allow pressure to be applied without indenting the balsa, which plastic disks can do if pressed too hard.

I'm sticking with my pin-boards (made from 1/2" Sundela composed of recycled newsprint https://www.sundeala.co.uk/ ) which I laminate onto 1/2" MDF for stiffness and can be cut to convenient board sizes: small for a Peanut or up to 20" span, or bigger if needed.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

I use Pins like these : Actually I just bought a box to add to my collection
 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/252982028702?chn=ps&dispItem=1
 They are V sharp and can be had in varying shaft lengths..  Hunt about.
Yesss they do make largish holes on the build board. However I use Drywall as build boards,  as it's Cheap, Dead flat,  easy to cut small pieces for small builds rudders Stabs etc
...and readily disposable after one or two builds
Blazingstar
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »

A builder friend of mine had the same issue
His solution: use a small V shaped loop of shrink tube in place of the plastic disc.
The pin goes through the wider “mouth” of the V, and the springiness of the shrink tube, with its tendency to want to straighten open again, works to keep it in place and hold down the piece.

It works well.

Hope that explanation makes sense.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »

I’ve used a hole punch to make discs out of yogurt container lids. Stick whatever pin you like through them and your set. Need custom shapes? Scissors or scalpel and off you go. The price is right.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Clamp pins

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
alfakilo
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »

I never seem to have quite enough of these on some builds.
I bought them so long ago that I can't remember the supplier.

Anyone know if they're still available?

Robin

Here is a US link for pins and clamps. I use these and they work well.

http://www.peck-polymers.com/building
Firefly
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »

Would a small button and a dab of silicon through the thread hole, to make it stick to the pin, work? I never tried it, just asking.
ffadict
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 03:54:16 PM »

I use quilters 1" T pins and 1/16" gasket rubber. It works pretty well, and when you consider that a couple of sheets cost $3, it really makes a dollar count.
VaPe
Copper Member

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »

Hello,
this is cheap idea ... hot glue sticks, works well.

http://www.rajce.net/f1261832775
DaveBedard
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »

http://peckpolmers.com/ sells them. Cheap.

Dave
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »

I’ve used a hole punch to make discs out of yogurt container lids.
Excellent idea duly *cough* appropriated.  Smiley  FWIW; for European members OTP the lids from the 500g Total yoghurt pots seem to me to offer the best balance between flexibility and stiffness they're also big enough to give you lots of disks.
crashtestdummy
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

You can get 24 pin clamps from Peck Polymers (the new, revived Peck Polymers based in CT):

http://www.peck-polymers.com/product-page/p-p-pin-clamps

I also use push pins, but I wouldn't think of poking those big pins through balsa.  I just press them down right next to the pieces I want to hold in place.  (Care is needed with soft balsa.)
crashtestdummy
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:23 AM »

Sorry for the duplication.  I somehow managed to miss DaveBedard's post.  Old age.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: