Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2018, 04:08:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is it no longer possible?  (Read 357 times)
Squid61
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:44:18 AM »

I've been looking for sources of .020 or .049 glow engines, simple right?  Used to just walk into your local hobby shop or even the local mercantile and pick one up.  Heck, they even came in plastic packs that hung on peg boards.  Now it seems I can only find one source, Cox International, which is European I think, for the venerable Cox .049, the other brands apparently no longer even exist except on EBay.  I did find another UK company that sells small diesel engines for an outrageous price but who wants all that mess.  Does anyone have other sources that I might have missed?
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

The current Cox brand is Canadian as far as I know.
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »

That's about it, except for the super-duper Cyclon 049s that they run in free flight.

Cox International is Canadian.  When Cox closed its doors, Cox International bought out their warehouse and has been keeping the line going.  They're serious about Cox engines. I, personally, have an over-abundance of Cox reedies, so I haven't bought from them -- but I hear consistently good things from folks who do.

The Cox rotary-valve engines aren't currently available, and have become something of a collectors item.  I hear stories of flea-market finds, but they go for over $100 on eBay.

In my experience the WenMac engines are actually nicer sport engines than the Cox reedies.  They're wimpy, but they start more consistently, at least for me.

The power/weight ratio of electric got close enough to 1/2A that no one wanted to bother about 20 years ago.  I think it's surpassed 1/2A by now, or come close.  If you want an easy-to-fly small airplane, go electric.

If you do find a Cox or other older-design engine, be sure to use fuel that has plenty of oil in it, and plenty of Castor.  Sig is a good mail-order source.
Squid61
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »

I guess I'll have to learn about the electrics.  The little I've read indicates the selection of a motor/controller/battery for each model is far more complicated than slapping an .049 on the front.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »

Not sure what you are really after but I bought an .049 from Hobby King last year, plenty of parts too.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-systems/gas-glow-engines/glow-engines.html?___store=en_us
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »

I guess I'll have to learn about the electrics.  The little I've read indicates the selection of a motor/controller/battery for each model is far more complicated than slapping an .049 on the front.

Selecting the optimum combination is complicated.  Selecting something that'll just work used to be a pain, but with outrunners and LiPo batteries, it's easy.

Post your model weight and size here, someone will help out.

If you want to spend money and experience success, an eFlight 400 with a 2-cell battery and the prop recommended for that battery will act like a mild-mannered 049, a 3-cell battery and the recommended prop (it's different) will act like a hot 049.
Squid61
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »

Thanks dputt7, I was not aware of Hobbyking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: