Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 21, 2018, 03:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cleveland Model & Supply Company P-38  (Read 288 times)
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »

Was wondering if anyone has ever built a P-38 from Cleveland Model and Supply Company plans? I have a 1/24th scale plan from them and want to enlarge it up to 30in ws. I keep looking at the way the Ryan PT-22 Fuselage is built and thinking it would make good booms for the P-38.

David
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »

Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cleveland Model & Supply Company P-38

David
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »

dwidrick,
    Haven't built from Cleveland plans for some years. Good layouts but contain
a lot of wood ( depending on what your building ). I would take a look at the Ace Whitman
P-38 layout. Its similar to what your describing. Its a 22" span but enlarged to a 30" should
be killer and pretty light. Just a thought.

Skyraider
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

Thanks i will!

David
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:52 PM »

Actually, the best P-38 plans (and at 35" span) is by Richard Falconer and is found here in the Hippocket Builder's Plan Gallery. It is accurate, has been built and flown, well designed, and is perfect for a flying scale subject. I would widen the horizontal tail a bit for ease of trimming as my only suggestion. Regrettably, the example here is a bit pixellated and a bit blurry however, there is a very clear and reproducible plan on Outzone. I may be in the minority but I have never been too impressed with Cleveland plans.
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:11:18 AM »

Tom i checked the plan out and seems like good build. Will have to get my motivation up before starting! I have some Cleveland plans and they are well detailed but have one of a Bucker Jungmiester that have tried to build 2 times now and had to redraw it mainly and still could not get things to line up right! Why i was wondering about the P-38.

David
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »

Two other plans worth looking at are the early Guillows P-38 which is based on the production prototypes and the Comet P-38 which is based on the P-38E.

With all P-38s one of the major challenges is keeping the rubber motors from hanging up on the bottom of the wing where it passes through the engine booms.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »

I built the Comet 38 loooong time ago and have the Dumas P-38 stored under my bed, just can't seam to start build it because of all the plastic parts which I'm not to fond of. Like my wood and tissue! Balsa flies better! The biggest thing is getting the Gump up to build two fuselages an keeping it going without losing interest.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: