Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2018, 07:59:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Show Your Newest Creation  (Read 80964 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: October 04, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »

Hi Jim!  Thanks for the pic or your  20"  Wildcat.   Smiley   It looks like you have the rear motor peg moved forward one bay  -  just like your other  models in Reply #1242.   That really seems to be the key, for easier trimming and flying, as I have recently found out myself ...!    Wink    I would say good luck with the trimming flights, but yours all seem to fly great (with out any "luck")  Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: October 08, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »

A new Coupe, devoid of anything innovative or clever. It's essentially a Baron Knight but everything thinned down to reduce drag, including the section. Weighs 73g - no beacon yet.
Well it's now ready to go, with every hook, band, screw etc, and the weight has ballooned to 78g which is quite disheartening. I have no idea how to remedy it next time. Lots of models have these carbon booms, the tailplane and fin are about 4g so there is no room for reducing there, and yet the wing is now much further back than I expected for a 60% CG.
The 70g airframe weight of course was set when all a model carried was a piece of fuse. Is it attainable now, with timer/rdt and beacons? I remember J O'D telling me that most models trumpeted as 70g were in fact well over that when everything was on.
No more carbon booms for me - I'll go to a rolled balsa boom, and it may also have to be a mylar wing.
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: October 08, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »

No more carbon booms for me - I'll go to a rolled balsa boom, and it may also have to be a mylar wing.

Did you sand the carbon boom?  Other than that - CF/balsa structure, geodetic rib placement on wing and tail, mylar covering, just dust visibility paint on.  Alum hub rather than piano wire. Square cut tips rather than curves. 

Keep at it - practice makes perfect.

Ralph
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: October 08, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

When are both dates please? It's about time I brought my models out of retirement and flew them. Nice looking model by the way.

You just missed the Tatton Coupe event last Thursday.  Offer still open.

Ralph
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: October 08, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

Hello Ralph, no I didn't sand the boom. Is that normal practice? Doesn't sound healthy!
I'll try again next year. Scale models to build.
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: October 09, 2018, 09:14:46 PM »

Thanks Ralph I've moved back down to the East Midlands. Better health care treatment if you know what I mean. I'm still flying, mainly rc electric glider but must fly my coupe's soon. I have too many!
tctele
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: October 10, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »

Hello Ralph, no I didn't sand the boom. Is that normal practice? Doesn't sound healthy!
I'll try again next year. Scale models to build.

Hi Bill, I have every intention of making the 2nd of December. Do you fancy a swap? The Coupe in the picture the one on the right all wood, the timer isn't how I like it to be honest but it works perfectly. VIT and DT and a terrific climb. BE airfoils and Wobeck tailplane. It's brand new as such not trimmed but I can do if you like, designed to go R/L and included is the prop hub complete, it's an Alex Bukin one 430mm prop blades,
designed for winding outside the model on 1/8th or 1/16th rubber, I prefer the latter on 24 strands. Total weight with tracker, not included, 71gms. I've to many of this coupe 4 in total so it'll never get flown really. Ivan T has seen them fly so hopefully he'll comment favourably

I'm rubbish at building scale and haven't really got the inclination to do so but really admire them. Maybe a rubber job that you no longer use? Doesn't have to be anything special.

Edit. Ive changed the Rudder to a fully symmetrical NACA 0008 as opposed to the one in the pic as they fly much better, mistake on my part when I built it I used my old plan.

Tony
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Show Your Newest Creation
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18:33 AM »

Hello Tony. They look beautiful- I've only got two rubber scale models; I need one and don't bring the other out in daylight! To be honest, I can't get my head around flying other peoples' models; I even felt guilty about buying a boom off Woodhouse. I'll be interested to have a look and see how it's done. My wing is overlapping the peg.
A lot of duration flyers tell me they couldn't do scale but the truth is very much the opposite. The quality of top duration models, especially the systems, far exceeds any of my models, which are all smoke and mirrors.
Bill
tctele
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »

Not a problem Bill, funny as I think building Coupes down to weight is quite easy wood ones at least carbon ones can weigh more normally mine are around 5% overweight. I'll show you one that I rarely fly as I daren't break it which is totally wrong but it is a complicated beast.

I'm always looking at your SE5A plan that looks a bit bigger than Doug McHards and think if I got rid of the sheeted sides did it boxed could it be done as a rubber model, but then I have no idea of what type of prop how much rubber how to rig it how to trim it and no idea which way they fly-most seems to go left that is totally alien to me! Oh and how to cover it and add scale detail all a black art
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: October 10, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »

Ivan knows all about big rubber SE5a!
tctele
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: October 10, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »

Think I saw it on You Tube and think he converted it to diesel? I've not seen him for ages hope he's keeping well and his models look brilliant. Loved the fact that when he flew F1B he made everything himself. I was his "checker offer" and calming voice he did the same when I flew Coupe
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »

Well he should be at the Birmingham coupe -  I hope so; he picks my air!
Yes he converted it to diesel but as rubber, it scored 10/10 across the board on flying at his first Nats
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: