Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 11:59:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)  (Read 72752 times)
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2050 on: October 06, 2017, 03:52:15 AM »

Grin that FRANK looks like a diels  kit.  well put together and they do fly

jim Grin
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2051 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:10 AM »

What a lovely Nakajima Roman. Beautiful shots as usual - your covering looks very neat.

My glider flew nice, but the transition from climbing to gliding is realy bad. If I throw it in a shallow curve, it glides great. If I throw it just a tad to steep, it needs all the gained height before it starts to glide... Any ideas about a better transition phase?

There could be a few reasons for this. I think I would prefer to go back to scratch as far as trimming is concerned and trim it for the launch first.
That is adopt a launch angle and throw it with a consistent effort. I'm thinking it should be released at around 60-70 deg up and 30-45 deg right bank.

Balance as per plan then -

If it goes straight up and then dives (lawn darts) straight down - it needs more up elevator.
If it doesn't pull out of the right bank - it needs a touch more left rudder.
If it stalls slightly while slowing and turning left add a slight bit more left rudder.

Once it turns from the right banked launch to a left glide consistently then trim the glide.
If it spirals in on the left glide - add a bit more wash in on the left inboard wing on the centre panel.
Slow the glide by removing tiny amounts of nose ballast.

Add more left turn by adding a bit of tip weight to the inboard left wing - reduce turn by adding it to the outboard wing(right).

This should get you into the ballpark providing the glider has reasonable geometry - particularly in terms of tail size, which should not be tool arge(more than 15% of wing area).

John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #2052 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:01 AM »

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the nice comments  Smiley

Malc, canopy framing...? I was not aware that there is something missing (besides the pilot)... But you are right, it had no bubble canopy. Maybe I will add some framing, but it has not first priority. I assume, that after finishing the plane, I was so happy that it flies nice, that I just stopped to go on with the last bits....

Don and FLYACE1946: On top of the laminated prop blades, I added a thin layer of fibreglass cloth (not sure if this is the right word... I hope you know what I mean). Since I covered the laminated blades over the fibreglass, you will not see it. I am lucky, no broken blade yet Grin

Mike: It is built from a Dave Diels kit (Jim is right Wink). It was my first Diels kit and I am very pleased with it.

John, thanks a lot for your detailed information about trimming my hand launched glider.
I will try it out. After reading your advise, it would need just some more up elevator. I was not sure about that because if I throw it in a flat angle, then it glides very nice....
I will report back hopefully with a picture Smiley

My "went flying picture" for today fits perfect to the title of this thread, just the scale of the plane is wrong. Therefore, sorry for this "guerilla" post.

Roman
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2053 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

Beautiful scenery Roman.

John
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2054 on: October 15, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »

Was that picture taken from a glider, Roman?  Lovely, as is the Ki. 84.

Another rare flying opportunity, not to be passed up, so straight to 500 turns based on the Grumman F6F's ladylike manner on 250. Once again, a flight, then rush back to rewind and grab the old Box Brownie, and out again before the spell was broken.

https://youtu.be/_M6pmun2kpI was obtained. Just to reiterate there's a potential 1400 turns on the motor and room for a longer one too I should think. Based on what I'm seeing here I should think that ironmike's Grumman Guardian on the 'Outdoor Scale' forum should fly forever.

BTW I am preparing instructions about a CA/balsa prop but there's a way to go yet. It's easy to do and hard to explain Shocked.

Stephen.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2055 on: October 15, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

Roma, lovely, crisp model - and equally superb stills.

Stephen, that's also super, is it from a kit?
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2056 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »

You've hit the jackpot there Stephen what a nice flight with a fine floating glide.

Happy flying
John
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #2057 on: October 16, 2017, 01:42:00 AM »

Stephen, the picture was taken from a C-152 near my homebase (LSPV).

Your F6F looks and flies amazing! It climbs and glides like on rails... It is the same with my Ki-84 when trimmed properly Roll Eyes On the first glance, these warbirds look like difficult to fly, but it seems that the opposite is the  case... At least in some cases. You will need a big field (or absolutely no wind) to fly her with 1400 turns!

I am looking forward to your prop instructions. Always nice to see how other people do things.

Roman

Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2058 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »

Hullo Jack Plane, no it's not a kit, but slightly modified from the Bill Hannan plan in the book discussed here. I understand that many of the designs in the book were kitted but don't know if this was one of 'em.

Hi John and Roman. Yes I agree about the flyability of quite a few subjects that would appear unlikely candidates. However I am a bit surprised with this one - so far it's been perhaps the easiest-to-trim model I've yet made. Far easier than that notoriously vicious and intractable design. . .the KeilKraft Elf Wink. I mean it - easier than the Elf. I shouldn't be surprised if movable rudder and elevators help. And of course the air was very calm in that vid. 1400+ turns will indeed require conditions to be Goldilocks-perfect. In fact I lost my KK Elf (of which I was quite fond, actually) a while back when endeavouring to open up the turn a bit, to get it flying more than 2 minutes. I opened the turn up a bit too much and the light breeze wasn't light enough. . Sad

Stephen.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »

Stephen, of course! I'd been vaguely following the Flying Scale Models of WW2 thread but didn't put one-and-one together!

Sorry you lost the Elf - were you going for 2mins under rubber alone, or with a bit of thermal action to help?

Jon
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: October 19, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »

Neeeow, no thermals - the sky's the limit with those things. The first of these links is the Elf at nightfall, its last recorded flight. I'm sure that some tweaks would have lofted it over the 2 min. mark.

https://youtu.be/J6wCRgVX5HI    https://youtu.be/oqkeh1A5lbQ

Stephen.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: October 19, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »

Gosh!  Elf disappearing (back) into the Twilight...
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »

That's courageous flying Stephen - it can lead to some long searches in the dark Smiley as I have discovered with 40 sec flights followed by 40 min searches Smiley What a great flying little model.

John
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: October 19, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »

Hi Stephen,

For night flying you need some red/green led's on the wing tips.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: October 20, 2017, 02:43:20 AM »

And a white one on the tail-end!

In flat-field RC soaring, trees are sometimes deliberately (bravely) sniffed around towards evening, as they're still releasing the day's thermal-gain relative to the cooler overall environment.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: October 20, 2017, 04:00:23 AM »

I seem to recall they had night-time Scrambles with lights in Australia!
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: October 20, 2017, 06:28:15 AM »

Quote from: OZPAF
as I have discovered with 40 sec flights followed by 40 min searches Smiley
Apparently OZPAF wasn't one of them, though. . .

In case I'm misleading anyone, the link isn't to the last ever flight of that model, the one where I lost it. During the dusk flight linked to I could see it reasonably well, just not through the camera viewfinder, which is why the vid goes wobbly at the end.

Quote from: Jack Plane
. . .trees are sometimes deliberately (bravely) sniffed around towards evening, as they're still releasing the day's thermal-gain relative to the cooler overall environment.
Now that's interesting.  I work on the principle that thermals after sunset are impossible, but I suppose if you had a large area like an indutrial estate or mall - or town even, it would still send bubbles up into the darkness.

Stephen.
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: October 20, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »

Stephen
I've not yet tried my Elf outdoors. Those flights are impressive. What prop/motor are you using?
Ron
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2068 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

Hi Ron, the prop was my own, 6" if I recall right and with a very coarse pitch, and a loop of 1/8" rubber either 26 or 28"  long (can't remember but I think 26"), braided. Not braided enough p'raps by the way the noseblock fell out in the daylight flight Smiley.

Stephen.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2069 on: October 20, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »

Quote from: OZPAF

as I have discovered with 40 sec flights followed by 40 min searches Smiley
Apparently OZPAF wasn't one of them, though. . .

Smiley Hmm! No - a bit small - it was a 12" CLG.

Insert Quote

I seem to recall they had night-time Scrambles with lights in Australia!

Yes that's right Bill. FF sports model limited to a max of 1cc. The models use either cyalume sticks or flashing lights. It's great fun and tiring.

John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2070 on: October 21, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »

Just back from the Alfreton indoor meeting. A very nice site with good facilities. I expect Pete will post some pictures - we were both there getting ready for Nijmegen. My VMC SE5a flew 'off the board' after its conversion to Telco CO2, although I was plagued with the familiar hisses and frost with the little chargers. Biggest surprise was the Fw47 which was circling nicely, because outdoors it would only go in straight lines.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #2071 on: October 21, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »

It was a very nice way to spend an afternoon. I put a few vids in the relevant build threads and one here: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22519.msg214868#msg214868 

Hopefully Russ might have got some footage too, especially of Dan's weird stuff. I really hope these gentle meetings here continue, as Nigel suggests they may well do.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2072 on: October 27, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »

I got another couple of flights from my Grumman F6F today. I wound on 940 turns and the first flight went all wrong.

I presumed it needed more downthrust, going from 500 to 980 turns in one jump. Also I was aware that the tailplane curls up when the sun hits it. Probably a combination of factors.

Normally I'd erase any video of such a short and pointless flight, but I remembered that on my 'balsa/cyano prop' thread I'd written rather boldly that I'd "expect the prop to survive even if the F6F power-dived in at a steep angle". Maybe I shouldn't have said that because of course my luvverly F6F is far too stable to indulge in steep power dives and other such ill-bred manoeuvres, so I could never prove my assertion. . . Until now Cheesy.

Yes, the prop was entirely unaffected. I tapped in a snitch of down-elevator, wound on about 140 extra hand turns and got this flight. Still hanging on the stall.

It was only when I got indoors and put my medium-strength specs on that I spotted the propeller boss (AKA 1.6 grams of noseweight) lying by the winding stooge. My sight is so blurry close-to that I hadn't even noticed the omission on the flying field.

"Doh" just about covers it, I think.

Stephen.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2073 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »

That second flight on the edge of the stall looked impressive - a nice floating glide to finish it off. perhaps you will only need a bit of that nose weight while retaining the slight down elevator?

John
Prosper
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2074 on: October 30, 2017, 03:36:31 AM »

Hi John, that's exactly right. I had one more chance for a flight that day so wound 700 turns, checked the presence of the prop boss/noseweight, and it flew exactly as on its flights pre the ones in my last post - demure and steady. Being further from any wing-drop due to stall it didn't wander either. I did in fact tweak the elevator back to its original setting - but the sun had gone and the tailplane had relaxed back to a flat surface, so that's a bit arbitrary. The fact is it's very forgiving in pitch compared to what I'm used to. Today is forecast to be still so I might try again with more turns, if the cattle would only allow.

Stephen.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85   Go Up
Print
Jump to: