Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 20, 2018, 10:42:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)  (Read 86785 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2100 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:16 AM »

. . . if you were flying here in Oz at this time of the year you would quite likely be attacked by one of our large magpies -
What, me, or the model?  Sounds worrying
They are usually more offended by objects in flight Smiley
If you don't wear yellow and stay on the ground you would be ok  Smiley

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2101 on: November 25, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

Had a picture-perfect day here in San Antonio - 70 degrees F, light breezes.  Just had to take advantage and do a little fun flying with the local FAC.  The field had been mowed recently so I didn't fly the Tigercat, but I managed to keep the Little Gem up over a minute with some help from the atmosphere, had the usual decent flights from the Tempest, Waco, Skyshark and Zippy Sport, and Allen got his Big Cat embryo to behave for a change.  Video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln60FcCZ2Yk&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,

Mike
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2102 on: November 27, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »

Grin  indoor flying in the gym last nite
1  SIG TIGER.  flew sweet ..minor damage to nose
2 f4u no cal.  got it to work with minor ballasting
3 no cal zero.  its seen better days but hey its at least 5 years old
4 xmas gliders   back to the drawing board.
5  diels buffalo   trimming issues

all in all a fun nite

GREY CUP.  SAW IT TAPED THIS MORNING  CALGARY DOMINATED TILL THE LAST 2 MINUTES OF THE FOURTH quarter. then ouch it ain't over till the fat lady sang.  big turnaround for the wrong side.  it snowed during the game how CANADIAN is that? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

jim Roll Eyes Grin

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2103 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

Best day's (duration) flying of the year at the Birmingham Coupe at Luffenham. But the most significant model was this flat-wing Tomboy by George Foster, featuring a gyro-stabilising system devised by Steve Glass. You just set the required angle of bank and off it goes. Uncanny to see. Now, where's that Spirit of St Louis plan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2104 on: December 04, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »

Hmm!. Electronic gyro Bill? Does it use ailerons to maintain control of the bank angle?

John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2105 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »

Hello John Yes it has strip ailerons.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2106 on: December 05, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »

Best day's (duration) flying of the year at the Birmingham Coupe at Luffenham.
I should also have said that we saw that rarest of spectacles at a duration meeting - newcomers! A group of four chaps of varying ages turned up with a nicely-built Etienvre; probably from the recent Aeromodeller feature. They were evidently near the bottom of the mountain that metaphorically represents the aeromodelling learning curve but they stuck at it all day and, with a lot of input from surrounding experts, finished with a model that was flying as it should.  Well-done them. Let's hope they return.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #2107 on: December 05, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »

Hello Bill

It was cold but quite pleasant. Congratulations on coming 2nd in the vintage coupe class - well done!

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2108 on: December 05, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »

Thanks Peter, and it was good to see you there.
Bill
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2109 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »

Grin  last sunday  tested xmas glider, flew norseman and broke a wing, flew the minnow, works great, the xf4u no cal .

since then i have decaled finally, the b25 and the norseman in RCAF  colours. this sunday is glider fly off and xmas party.

jim Grin
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #2110 on: December 30, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »

Got the Diels/Comet Navion out for initial trimming today.  I used a short motor (two 10.5" loops 3/32" rubber, 1.5x hook-peg) so that I could get a feel for how the model responded to torque and also to get it up quickly to assess glide.  Need to work a bit on the Nason clutch as it didn't freewheel on a few flights.  Overall looks pretty promising - I think it's ready for a longer motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFi3Ij2m_A&feature=youtu.be
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2111 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »

That was a very successful early flight of your Navion. The artic coloration was just a day too soon .
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2112 on: December 30, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »

Aggressive power burst. Nice.  Interesting L-R flight pattern though possible spiral instability?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2113 on: January 28, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »

;Dflew 4 older builds, all sustained minor damage but flew more than they crashed
gar il2, guillows spitfire 500 series, guilows beaver and the fsi chesapeake. (wind indicator)
HAD FUN!

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2114 on: March 25, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »

Very nice day at Barkston Heath today. Once I had finished duration flying the breeze fizzled out and I flew a few diesel scale models. As usual on the first 'diesel' day of the year, much time was spent de-gumming engines but we had some good flights, especially the Avro and Halberstadt.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #2115 on: March 25, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »

Bill,

Where did the Heath Parasol come from? Own design or the Gene Thomas Classic kit? Looks nice.

Graham
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2116 on: March 25, 2018, 02:20:20 PM »

Hello Graham. Yes it's the Gene Thomas kit, the model was bequeathed to me by the late Barrie Hotham; all I had to do (!) was cover and paint it. I made a new tailplane - that one is double size.  It's not very promising thus far! I described it in Aeromodeller last year
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2117 on: March 25, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »

Grin  Its Sunday nite so i went to the gym for indoor flying
I flew The Comet Stuka which I finished off from a late modeller's collection.  IOnce I got enough lead in the slead it behaved fine.  I will move the motor
post forward to one bay behind the cockpoit and rebalast.  I left play in the fixed landing gear which works just fine.

i flew an old me 109 it flew nice but needs cosmetic repair. the tissue black and sky blue is junk so i'll put an under coat of white underneath first to give it strength. 
the guillows fokker broke so that needs shoring up.
the p37 needs to be properly ballasted but thats no big deal.

my guillows beaver rebuild flew like a pig and the tail broke. i'll rebuild ity later when i am in the mood.  these high wing bush planes f like the murphy moose, the norseman, beaver otter fly great once they are properly balanced. my norseman for example flew off and on for a dozen years.

jim Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2118 on: May 19, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »

An idyllic day at Barkston, trying to sort out a pile of diesel models
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2119 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

Soft long grass as well? It does look a great day.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #2120 on: May 19, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »

Looks lovely! An idyllic day at my field in Hull too. May was out in abundance, not to mention buttercups and perfect Keil Kraft grass. So having cast a clout or two I settled down to fly my Callair A9 and also my 31" span Guillow Fairchild. I'll put the videos showing the Callair's progress on its own thread, but here are a few pics and a flight vid of the Fairchild. Last week at Old Warden I broke it after it zonked in sideways and was very close to binning the thing. However, I repaired it and gave it one more chance. It usually flies well, but has an annoying tendancy to occasionally misbehave. I put this down to a slightly warped tailplane and so have recently stripped and re-covered that part. At Old Warden it made no difference, but as I put it back together this time I put in a bit more dihedral too. I'm glad I decided not to destroy it because today it seems to have rediscovered its trim.

https://youtu.be/Gd1rY8EIXbA

I tried one more flight with it after that one and it got a bit higher and landed in one of the trees at the back. Luckily it was only about 15-20 feet up and I was able to get it down with a broken branch, lowerering it safely to the ground in the branch's fork. A very satisfying day all round as before that, whilst walking to retrieve the Callair after its best flight, I was suddenly startled by a large animal leaping from the grass and bolting right across me. It was a muntjac deer, which then stopped at a safe distance and watched me warily for the rest of the time I was there. Brought both models home with no damage at all! Apart from the deer it was very quiet out and about today, especially for such a sunny day. I think there must be something going on somewhere.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2121 on: May 19, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »

Excellent Pete!   Cheesy    Looks like your Jumbo 31" Fairchild flies quite well.    Cool   If you don't mind my asking, what size etc. rubber motor are you using, and how many winds do you put in it, and what is the longest flight you have made?  Sounds like you had a perfect day in that mythical long grass.  Plus the deer tops it all off !   And of course - no damage ....   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2122 on: May 19, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »

Hi LWM,
It flies on 8 strands of 1/8. Motor is 22 inches long, which is about 1.5 times hook to peg.
700 turns usually gives me about 30 seconds, which is more than enough in that tree lined field. In fact I haven't ever tried to fly it for very much longer than that as when I have more space I'm using it in competions where long duration is either not a factor, or in Outdoor Kit Scale where 30 seconds has been the target time. I've no doubt it would go long and high given half a chance though. In fact it's one of my few models with a name and address label!
Here's a photo Bill took of it a couple of years ago at Oxford (it's a bit tattier now!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:33:34 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2123 on: May 19, 2018, 08:32:08 PM »

England must be really jumping into spring Peter - another copy of bill's field. I'm glad you fixed it - that was a very nice flight. Good reward for persistence.
I'm tempted to say - Go try more winds - but then you would need a DT and a bigger field. Smiley

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2124 on: May 20, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »

Yes, it's a nice field but slightly nerve-wracking when models fly well. I could tell it was going to hit the trees as it descended and was just praying it would get reasonably low before it struck, which fortunately it did on this occassion. I think I might find a long wooden pole and just keep it hidden in the hedge for future escapades. I don't really want to lug a big fishing pole along every time.

Bill, did you fly the ER Fairchild at Barkston and, if so, how did it go?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89   Go Up
Print
Jump to: