Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2018, 04:15:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)  (Read 95434 times)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2175 on: July 02, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »

Edited up some video from the June Flying Aces Club Kanone Clash in Gainesville, TX.  We did a lot of walking on Saturday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpKLQaKk7k&t=11s

We had a great time and did a lot of flying despite the wind - many thanks to Duke Horn and Rich Adams for putting on a great meet!

Mike
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2176 on: July 02, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »

A few phone snaps from Oxford yesterday...
-The scale models being static judged (no docs required, but they have some kind of system!)
-Chris Brainwood flying his DH60 Moth
-The scale results board
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2177 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the re[ports Mike and Peter. The models seemed pretty sorted Mike and they would have needed to be to handle those conditions. The Typhoon looks like it has been hit by some heavy ground fire.

Nice model there Pete.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2178 on: July 05, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

Grin played with the p40 Q (Clive b KIT VERSION ) AND IT DIDN'T CRASH.  I HAVE TO ADJUST WEIGHT AND REPLACE PLASTIC SPINNER.. THOSE THINGS ARE USELESS BUT IT CAN BE TAMED ONCE I GET THE RUBBER REQUIREMENTS RIGHT.

then i turned to my grumman skyrocket which i built years ago. it is 21 inch span with 2 x 6 inch props and it looks like it might behave. i need to get balance right and there is side thrust down thrust on one side required. i like the idea of twins but they are tough to play with, you need four hands.

jim Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2179 on: July 07, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »

Off to the Lurker Industries Aeroplane Co.'s Aerodrome mid-morning to experiment with a bungee in a (relatively) small field.

Got some nice flights out of the Swallow, here's one, I'm claiming it's 50s Smiley , bumped the nose-weight a little after this flight as the breeze was picking up a bit.  As tradition requires I came back with some repairs.  Some entirely expected stubble rash and a completely unexpected, minor,  fuselage repair, see the attachments.  Stalled for no reason I could see about 4' up as it was coming in to what looked like it was going to be OK landing.  My guess is the breeze failed 'cos the nose went down like a stone.   At least this time I don't have to rebuild the wing. Smiley

After that I thought I'd give my VMC Osprey a go on the bungee.  Got a couple of nice stable but short (sub to 10s) flights out of it and any number of real hair-raisers (well they would have been had I any hair to be raised) like this.   In short; the standard size Osprey will fly well off a bungee provided:

a:  You have a flat calm for the duration of the tow.  
 b:  You don't over-egg the tension on the line.  Doesn't need very much at all.  

Best flights I got were with an initial slight nose down attitude and a little bit of TE packing.  Any kind of a breeze and / or too much tension and it'll loop off the line at very high speed.  The good news is that it's a tight loop and on a standard Peterborough rules bungee line (7 &  21 I think) there's more than enough height to allow it to pull out.  
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #2180 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »

Hi Lurker - what a beautiful flight with that "Swallow " glider   Shocked  - thanks so much for the videos - great to wake up to ...   Smiley

You really have me contemplating building a glider.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pat D
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #2181 on: July 07, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »

A few phone snaps from Oxford yesterday...
-The scale models being static judged (no docs required, but they have some kind of system!)
-Chris Brainwood flying his DH60 Moth
-The scale results board

Nice pictures Pete
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2182 on: July 08, 2018, 01:00:39 AM »

Thanks for the videos from Lurker Industries. You may have already done this but for your Osprey, I would recommend jacking up the stab LE or the wing TE and then trimming for stable, almost floating glide. This will help to reduce the loop induced by the excessive decalage.

Your Swallow really hung in on that weak thermal - beautiful floaty glide and no hassles on the bungee.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2183 on: July 08, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »

Lurker - your Swallow glider flight -  first video in Reply # 2179  above,  was so cool - you can see the transitions and the release of the tow hook  (all new to me)  - such a perfect flight the way it just seemed to keep on circling and gliding at the end.   I snipped an 18 pic slide show from your video - the opening "shadow" pic sets the stage ...

Still Pics Slideshow  1 to 6     of 18  pics

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:01:06 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2184 on: July 08, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »

Lurker Swallow glider flight  - video in Reply #2179

Still Pics Slideshow   7 to 12      of 18  pics

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:45:31 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2185 on: July 08, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

Lurker Swallow glider flight  - video in Reply #2179

Still Pics Slideshow 13 to 18     of 18  pics

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:44:56 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #2186 on: July 08, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »

Got some nice flights out of the Swallow, here's one, I'm claiming it's 50s Smiley , bumped the nose-weight a little after this flight as the breeze was picking up a bit... Stalled for no reason I could see about 4' up as it was coming in to what looked like it was going to be OK landing.  My guess is the breeze failed 'cos the nose went down like a stone.

Great flight Lurk!  I’m impressed by your solutions for solo launching and filming!

I would venture to suggest that the stall 4’ off the deck was less to do with the breeze failing, but more to do with the usual inrush of cool air ‘sink’ once the thermal had lifted completely away.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2187 on: July 08, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
...more to do with the usual inrush of cool air ‘sink’ once the thermal had lifted completely away.
Aye, well; it can just stop it.  It's no big and it's no clever. Smiley

Quote from: OZPAF
...jacking up ... the wing TE...
It was the first thing I tried and it certainly helped.  You should have seen some of the launches without the packing that I didn't film!  It was too breezy today to even think about trying the Osprey so further experiments will have to wait.

Coo! Publicity stills.  Thanks Richard.  I shall nick a couple of those.  Interestingly (well it interests me) you can see a much less marked version of the behaviour I was asking about over on the 36" Bungee Launch Gliders thread earlier today.
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2188 on: July 10, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »

Finally some flying in 2018 Smiley That is peanut zero scaled down from Benton plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr4KAjdF114

FF - flying first! - building second?
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2189 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »

That's a nice little plane and I love these videos. Smiley
Great entertainment thanks.

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2190 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:09 PM »

I noticed the increased dihedral FN - it certainly gives your zero a lot of roll stability. It flies very well thanks for the video.

John
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2191 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:34 AM »

Thanks Tony, nice to hear that from you!

You are right John, dihedral turned out too big and I don't like it too. I always try to build along with FAC rules - 1 inch per 10 inches of ws or bottom of canopy line. This time that was also the plan, I think it increased after water stretching the wing, I did not keep it on a form for long enough. Thanks for pointing it out! :-)

PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2192 on: July 11, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

School is out. My neighbour's boy (about 7 or 8 ) came over yesterday evening to return something and got interested in my conversions of the Guillows glider 'Eagle'. We tossed the standard glider off of the back porch which gives about 15 feet elevation and permits some long glides. He was pretty excited, and I introduced him to the Catapult glider conversion. I only gave him enough power to put it up about 30 or 40 feet so that we wouldn't lose it in the blackberry bushes. He was thrilled to pieces when it launched and recovered inverted and made a glide back to the ground. This is a boy who doesn't stay still for more than 0.5 seconds at a time. But he likes thrills.
ian
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2193 on: July 11, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

FN - although the dihedral is noticeable on the ground - I think it helps it a lot in flight. It's a very nice flying model and I wasn't being critical. It does prove that the FAC guide for dihedral on low wing models is a good one.

John
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2194 on: July 12, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »

John,

I like people being critical, we do that a lot in Europe Grin I noticed, modelers here are super sensitive and a tiny amount of critique is seen as hate.
Me myself am very critical to myself, and to the others, thats why I almost never comment here, cause I am affraid people would see it as hate. (political corectness haha) Without critiqe there is no progress:)
Cheers to the beers!

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2195 on: July 12, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »

Hi Fitnezz.  Nice flying Jap Zero videos  Grin   you have there in Reply # 2188 above  - and nice cool wave, funky, electronic, techno euro trance, disco pop music, you have got playing in the background - or whatever that genre of music is called.  It's pretty snappy.
Video game music ?   Found it I think  -  New Age Music ?   Progressive electronic space music ?   Funky psychedelic music ?   I digress ...  LOL
  Hey  -  I know that I learn from you guys when you are analytical and critical.  We do need more critical thought - it is how we got everything we have.  This web site is just like a University course -  only it is an on-line  "Aeromodelling Aerodynamics  101"  Free Participation course.
    Fitnezz, please reveal your secrets of that Jap Zero -  wingspan, weight, wing loading, prop to rear peg distance, rubber motor # of strands, length of each strand , and size of rubber,  how many winds do you put in, and how much nose weight , down thrust etc.
     Glad you finally got some good weather.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2196 on: July 12, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »

Finally some flying in 2018 Smiley That is peanut zero scaled down from Benton plan.
Nice long, long flights and well behaved too.  What length motor?  How many turns?
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2197 on: July 12, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »

Thanks guys!!

LWM, I dont know the music genre, too many out there nowadays Smiley
Its from youtube free music database, they provide free tunes which can be used in yt videos
for free and that one I think was in hip-hop beats category.

Yes, the weather here is getting indeed better Smiley

Wing span is 13", loading is 0.55g, area is 28.8 sq"
right washout is 1/8", left one is 3/32". Dihedral is 1.3".

Rubber: 2 strands of 3/32, 14" long, 2g weight, braided
Weight: 15.8g (with rubber and 0.5g nose ballast, which I am sure can be removed with the next
trimming session)

Prop is 5" with 1.2P/D. Prop to rear peg distance is 5.2". Thrust is 4down, 2right.

Fin is 2deg left.

I dont remember exact amount of turns, but I think it was something around 1200, and it was not
on the 100% motor capacity, I think it is capable of 1500. I hope for a good flying with it this weekend
and posting longer flights. It was still a bit windy last time and I was scared to go for it. It climbs like
crazy Cheesy

Maybe worth mentioning is that LE's of the wing, ribs in the saddle and wing top(and only one) spars are braced with
1/64" bamboo. Makes it pretty indestructible Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2198 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »

Hi finezz - a couple of more questions if you don't mind ...  How long was your 14"  strand motor, after you braided it  down, thereby shortening it,  to fit in your prop hook to rear peg distance of  5.2" ?    Do you use a blast tube ?   What type of prop shaft and hook do you use, and what type of rubber hook -  "S" hooks,  Crocket hooks ?   And finally, what do you do to keep your prop block from falling out ?   Thanks for all the info in your previous reply -  very interesting ...   Looking forward to some more flights - is that a flying field or a construction site ?   Undecided   Did you get any damage landing on those tire tracks ?   Shocked   with no landing gear ?   Shocked

LASTWOODSMAN
 Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2199 on: July 13, 2018, 03:50:13 AM »

FN when you said you had bamboo reinforcement - is that a flat strip 1/64" thick? I have used thin basswood strips to reinforce solid balsa motor sticks but you idea sounds cool, using it on ribs, LE and spar.

There was no sign in the video of the motor knotting up and jamming and you have a 3:1 motor length/peg length in there. Whoops Richard has already asked about this.

John
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90   Go Up
Print
Jump to: