Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 21, 2019, 03:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)  (Read 97144 times)
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2225 on: July 21, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »

Quote from: billdennis747
Pete, why are you taunting it with a stalk?
It is a worry, Bill. Taunting baby hedgehogs w/ stalks → hare coursing → badger baiting → deer coursing. . . thin end of the wedge I call it.

Jus kiddin Pete, as if I need to say it. Sounds like a lovely evening's flying. When the geezer said "it's a Fokker", did his wife look shocked?

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 98

Ignore
« Reply #2226 on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »

Joking you may be, but I did feel slightly guilty for shoving the grass in its face. Before that, I'd filmed it for about 2 minutes and it just put its head down and stayed stock still, so the stalk taunting was a last bid to make the thing move a bit for the video. I've probably done it a favour though; now that it can cope with a bit of gentle stem-wrangling it will be much better prepared to face the cruel red-in-tooth-and-claw world!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 172

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2227 on: July 21, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »

That sounds more like it Pete. Good luck at Old Warden. Pity you won't have your baby hedgehog cheering you on.

John
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #2228 on: July 22, 2018, 05:06:11 AM »

Quote from: Pete Fardell
. . . I did feel slightly guilty for shoving the grass in its face. . .
No need for the least smidge of compunction Pete - the thing with hedgehogs is, if they feel threatened in any way, they roll into a ball. Great evolutionary strategy - served them all those countless millennia - 'til the invention of the motor car.

Good luck with the one-decker at OW, looks another gorgeous day for it.

Stephen.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 98

Ignore
« Reply #2229 on: July 23, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »

Thanks, Stephen. I did indeed have a very good time at Old Warden. Nice to see others there too.  It was seriously warm, but overcast and with a gentle breeze which made conditions extremely pleasant in my book. Saw lots of good flying, including Bill's CO2 SE5 which was puttering about very nicely, and Ivan Taylor's gorgeous big scale models sedately circling and somehow staying in the field. He really has mastered the art of adjusting his models' flight patterns to the conditions.

I took four models myself, all rubber: 1912 Blackburn, Malmstrom Hollandair Libel, Auster Agricola and of course the Fokker. All four flew quite well at various points so I came home a very happy bunny. I foolishly entered the Blackburn Mono in John Ashmole's Masefield contest for SAM35. That was precisely when it stopped flying well, until all its contest times were submitted and then it behaved again. Thank you Dave Hunt for your support and encouragement though- very good to see you again. Russ witnessed the Blackburn's best effort just before I left for home and offered to film it, whereupon it somehow cracked a fus. longeron during winding and refused to oblige again. Easily repairable (along with its rather knackered undercarriage) but at least I've learned it doesn't like competing, and doesn't like being filmed either. My son pointed out that later I'd promised it a nice relaxing fun day out, so it's not surprising it played up when I gave it extra pressure!
Nearly lost my Hollandair Libel after it ended a long flight OOS in the infamous wood, but when I got over there, there  it was, perched gently in a tree fork at easily reachable height.

The Eindekker substantially improved on its recent efforts in my local field, so the hedgehog must have had magic powers. On several flights it was almost back to its best. Early on though the plastic ramp clutch on the prop failed so it had no freewheel (I just bent the wire end over the prop blade for the rest of the day). I think that's why it turns in right at the end of this flight once the power runs off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5W0SYhV5WY
(Could it finally be time to make a proper freewheel, as has long been so ably demo'ed and encouraged by Mike ZK-AUD?)

Not many pics I'm afraid...
A Fokker still from my video and this shot of a very fine EDF SARO A-1 which was flying beautifully all day. Didn't get the chap's name, but it was his own design.
Also, I didn't spend much time in the Shuttleworth hangars this time as I was too busy flying, but I did make a point of going to drool over their newly acquired Miles Hawkspeed 6. What a gorgeous freeflight model this would make, but who's going to do it?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went Flyin' (Please, Everyone Post Your Exploits Here)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:41:10 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Squirrelnet
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2230 on: July 23, 2018, 05:15:18 PM »

Sounds like OW was a great event. Good to hear you had some good flights and nice to see the Fokker flying nicely again, I shall make a point of looking out for hedgehogs on future trimming flights

Sadly I had to miss it as I was on holiday Undecided

The Miles Hawk looks good and I have to say I'm tempted but I've not had much luck with low wing racers. There is even a FF plan from the 1950's on Outerzone, its quite big and looks like it had an ED Comp Special to haul it around. The original model had pendulum ailerons and rudder which given my limited FF scale experience seems to be code for ' It's ridiculously unstable and I couldn't get it fly '

https://outerzone.co.uk/planfile_supplement/813/Miles_Hawk_BW_Print_oz813_article.pdf
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2231 on: August 05, 2018, 06:57:20 AM »

Did fly P-40 dime scale model. Mike Nassise's designs are super cool ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9UY5kItl8

FF - flying first! - building second?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2232 on: August 05, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »

Another good flying model FN. It's becoming a habit Smiley

John
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #2233 on: August 06, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »

Thanks John:)

FF - flying first! - building second?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2234 on: August 06, 2018, 03:53:03 PM »

Grin Grin Grin tested my easybuilt 17 inch spit. flies great with weight on the nose i did mods see my comments in airplane wise to get the full styory
jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2235 on: October 07, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »

Went to the FAC Outdoor Champs and Ted Dock meets in Muncie Indiana - had a great time, met a number of outstanding flyers and craftsmen, and enjoyed some stiff (but very friendly) competition.  This was my first time flying at AMA's complex there - quite an excellent field.  Here's a few flights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zARKpXr3Ba4&feature=youtu.be

I was quite pleased with initial trimming on the Wedell-Williams racer and incremental power trimming on the T-28 - I think both are going to be very satisfactory flyers.  The Tigercat still confounds me, with a couple of promising flights but many more aborted attempts...  Best flight of the meet for me was a 1:44 from the WACO SRE after switching to a 2x35" loop 1/8" motor and stretching more aggressively during winding to get in about 2000 turns.

I'm going to attend this one again, despite the 18-hour drive each way.

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2236 on: October 07, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

Thanks for the video Mike. The Waco SRE still amazes me - beautiful flying model. I'm impressed with the other 2 models as well. As has already been mentioned - the Wedell carries all that rigging and struts - not to mention that thick airfoil, and still flies well. If the T28 was able to handle right climb circuits - I think you would just about lose it on every flight.
Happy flying.

John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2237 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

The Auckland MAC held an indoor meeting at Morrinsville about 120 km south of Auckland yesterday. The Events Centre is about Bushfield size ( two basketball size ) and a 10 m clear ceiling.  We had competitors from Fielding in the South and Whangarei in the North plus all the usual Auckland based entrants. A total of 9 in all.
 The morning events were chuck glider Hangar Rat and Modelair Hornet precision. The afternoon was occupied with Kit Scale, Peanut and open Rubber to F4D rules.
Dave Jackson topped Hangar Rat with a 3 min + flight and Keith Trillo was closest to the target of 35 seconds in Hornet being ony a second away at 36 sec.
My Hangar Rat managed to get hung up twice on the wire that seperates the hall rescued both times without damage.
  Scale was busy and Peanut was topped by Keith Trillo with a Fike that managed 1:06 followed by Ricky Boulds Fike. Stan Mauger was top of F4D with a Fleet Canuck and kit scale with a KK Auster Arrow.
We all had a great days flying that made the drive to get there worthwhile.
Ricky

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #2238 on: January 14, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »

Grin went flying in gym last nite
flew wildcat, p40 easybilt
speedee speedee bilt p40
hellcat and hurricane dimers.

half of them crashed

jim Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2239 on: January 14, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »

Grin went flying in gym last nite
flew wildcat, p40 easybilt
speedee speedee bilt p40
hellcat and hurricane dimers.

half of them crashed

jim Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
Yebbut, on the other hand half of them flew. Smiley
Slow.Lizard
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2240 on: January 20, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »

Trimming of my first P30  (Sweet P30 kit from Mike W.) was very successful.

I couldn't believe that it flew so well right out of the workshop! A small adjustment on the tailplane made it fly even better.

Fantastic morning!  Cheesy
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #2241 on: January 20, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »

It was a glorious morning wasn't it, especially in London. Where do you fly from SL?
Slow.Lizard
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2242 on: January 20, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

Hi PeeTee,

It indeed was.

I flew from Cannock.
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2243 on: January 20, 2019, 11:36:23 AM »

Looks like a nice site. A bit far away unfortunately but not a million miles.
Squirrelnet
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #2244 on: January 20, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »

Nice flights with the P30 Slow.Lizard

We had slightly better weather here in the Chilterns, just N of London so I got to grips with a new Blaster 3 DLG.

I took it up to my local hill Ivinghoe Beacon, the extra air time in the slight slope lift gave a bit more of a chance to trim it out with the various flap settings rather than launching on the flat

Launch technique isn't great !!! I blame the fact I was on a frosty hill surrounded by mole hills that could trip me up.. anyway that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Zoom launches are new to me and I'm still throwing it up at 45 degs after years of flying my homemade SuperGee, I'll have to work on launching flat and using the rotate function to initiate the climb.

Very happy with the model, it flies beautifully in no small part to Jon's help with setting up with control throws, cg position and flap settings and of course  for parting with it in the first place. I'm hoping for some nice summer days with some thermals to catch

I managed to wedge my phone into my rucksack so I could shoot a rather self indulgent video  Wink

...still if I do trip over and snap it in half at least I'll have proof it flew  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLb0uvpiek&feature=youtu.be
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #2245 on: January 20, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »

Nice one Chris!  Good to see the old girl is getting air-time  Grin

Did you get any help on how to programme the Multiplex for the momentary switch for pitching up on launch?

For my part, turns out I was doing it a bit wrong:  I've been hitting the momentary switch momentarily on release, which is what I advised you to try.  Whereas it seems that most folk hold it down for the whole period of rotating their bodies and release it just after letting go the tip, the rationale being that it reduces workload during an incredibly short space of time.

However maybe the momentary hit is better on the Blaster with its floaty wing-section, which seemed to ballon upwards when I tried to hold the switch in for the whole period of body rotation?  Current DLG designs have much thinner sections, so I'll see what works for me when I get my new one.

Jon
Squirrelnet
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #2246 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »

I'll see what works for me when I get my new one.

I'll be very interested to hear how you find your new one, particularly with the launch.

I have sorted my TX to give momentary up elevator for the rotate but additional input like r rudder and  few degs of down flaps have alluded me so far but thats probably just the way I'm trying to do it in the Multiplex software. I learned the latest firmware for the Royal Pro allows mixes with fixed inputs which would solve the problem so I will look into updating.

To be honest I'm finding the height I achieve without rotate and throwing as I'm used to at 45 degs about the same (by eye) as we had on the day we flew together, obviously you have achieved much more than that and I guess that extra bit maybe the difference between the techniques so I'll keep trying and keep practicing with flat launches with a rotate function. I will try experimenting with the hold the button down during launch, it may need less up in that case

Blaster with its floaty wing-section

...Love the floaty wing-section   Cheesy

Chris
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #2247 on: January 20, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

Slow Lizard, Cannock looks a pleasant place to fly. A mate of mine comes from around there and flies gliders and coupes - Gman he calls himself (hello Gavin  Cheesy)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2248 on: January 20, 2019, 06:53:49 PM »

That is so tempting SN. Every time I see some Discus glider it really appeals - very hard to keep under control. Smiley
Thanks for the video.

John
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2249 on: January 20, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »

Chris

Have a look at the MPX FB page for tips on how to set mixers and switches etc.
Primarily for the new MPX Profi, but also Royal Pro and SX as well.
Click on "Files" down left side and a load of tutorials are posted in there by Frank Skillbeck.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/442949249226372

Ask if you can't find what you want and Frank or someone else usually answers within a few hours.

Hth John M
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91   Go Up
Print
Jump to: