Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 18, 2018, 02:59:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Modela CO2 charger question  (Read 185 times)
benjamin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:58 AM »

Hi guys,

Have a quick question regarding a charger a bought from this website: http://www.old-engine-model.com/en/777.plnicka-modela/

I gave it a try, I used a 8g CO2 cartridge. There was a significant leak coming from the filling nozzle, as if the ball didn't played it role to stop the gas.

I'm not a pro but have a small experience with CO2 engines and didn't had this issue before.

The charger came without any instructions and was delivered with some parts, but I don't know what is there usage. Maybe I should mount one of them before using the charge?

Please see attached picture.  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Modela CO2 charger question
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:01:36 AM by benjamin » Logged
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »

I have the same charger from the same supplier in the Czech Republic.

The black rubber thing is a spare 'neck' seal.  The seal pre-fitted on mine as supplied seems to be a different substance, lighter in colour and softer, more 'rubbery'.

The flat metal tool has a cutout on one side, and is used for unscrewing the two-part brass component, ie the bottom of this holds the 'neck' seal in place - unscrew the whole brass assembly from the black cartridge holder and look closely at it to see the opposing cutouts in the brass part which the tool fits.

The charger will leak if the 'neck' seal is fractured or badly off-centre (happened to mine when I mis-treated it), and the black casing will crack if you then try to massively over-tighten it (what I did!)

It is most unlikely to be the ball-seal.  Try changing the rubber 'neck' seal to the black spare one (which might be harder or a better fit)?

Hope this helps.

Jon
Beazld
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

What me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »

I have the same charger with the same issue.  I unscrewed the metal nozzle and it looked like the part that pierces the cartridge was dull. Imsharpened it a bit with a file.  I also changed out the rubber bit and this helped some but there is still a loss of gas when the cartridge is pierced. I have just got an adapter for a 12 oz paint ball gun cylinder but have not had a chance to use.

Simplicate and add lightness!
PietenpolAC
Bronze Member

Hungary Hungary

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »

Is the leak between the cartridge and the charger needle or between the charger nipple and the tank filler nipple?

If between the charger nipple and tank filler nipple, then which engine are you trying to fill? Different makers sometimes have different sizes. Not even all older Gasparins had the same size. Does the charger nipple leak whenever you insert a cartridge (even before charging)? If so then take the nipple apart to check for irregularities. Have you tried the charger on different filler nozzles?

If the leak is between the charger needle (rubber insert) and the cartridge, make sure the rubber insert is correctly positioned. The charger top needs to be screwed in tightly enough so there is a good seal between the rubber insert and cartridge. Also there are different length needles. Some cartridges need a longer needle. But if it is leaking at least the cartridge seal is getting punctured. Try screwing the top in a little further. Wet the rubber insert and then insert cartridge and tighten to see if that helps. Also there will be some leakage when tightening the charger unless it is done with a nice, swift, just the right touch movement.

I've had cartridges that leaked, but when I checked to make sure that everything was lined up correctly and tightened sufficiently the leak went away.

Bruce
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »

If it's a leak between the neck of the bulb and the rubber seal, a couple of turns of plumber's PTFE sealing tape can help.

Dan.
benjamin
Bronze Member

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »

Thanks for the advices. Problem fixed Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: