Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2018, 11:48:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Model making on the increase ~ BBC Radio Leicester  (Read 838 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 02:52:12 AM »

[...]

As I have said before does it really matter - should we attempt to inflict our way of spending our time and getting enjoyment and satisfaction on others.  Why not leave them to it.  Even if it is to extent of it being detrimental to their health by sitting in front of a screen eating junk food or whatever.  Again, frankly, I don’t give a damn.  

People will always have different interests and attitudes, and its more of a question of encouragement and exposure than inflicting things.  As a parent of a young boy, like millions of others, I've long sought to get him outside on walks and bike rides, climbing trees, fishing, etc, and always encourage real world interests over virtual ones.  Limited TV or iPlayer is allowed as a treat after supper or on a weekend after homework, and he really only tends to use the internet to explore real things, e.g. science/technology websites, rather than prolific quantities of YouTube rubbish.  He used to love his Hornby (I know STEAM museum in Swindon and the Didcot Railway Centre inside out!).  He is of course well exposed to aero-modelling - and has built one and a half VMC kits - but it doesn't capture his imagination in the same way as it does mine, so there is little point in pushing this.  He is however always wrapping up warm and setting up the telescope outside on cold clear nights, and his idea of a fun holiday destination is to visit the Large Haldron Collider in CERN  Shocked

His best friend is very sporty and wants to be a soldier, many lads are into the usual things like Minecraft and online-gaming, but others like making primitive weapons from scrap materials to kill rodents and small game, football, practicing rock-guitar, making Airfix models, dressing up, etc.  They're all astonishingly different!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:34:22 AM by Jack Plane » Logged
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:22:07 AM »

Looks to me as though you are spot on - lucky lad. He seems also to have got himself among some good blokes too.  But I am caught by his interest in astronomy.  That is quite a deep subject so you may be nurturing a bit of a boffin.  We have quite a strong contingent here because there is an area apparently having very dark sky with little gratuitous light.  Talking with some of those people is very absorbing.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 55

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »

I suppose it's all about variety, modelling is for me a solitary activity, football is social.

I'm a bit slow in answering this, but social?! My wife abandons me every time there is a home match!  Wink
.... add to this that her season ticket is used as a 'Get out of aeromodelling events' card at every opportunity then yes, my aeromodelling is a very solitary activity!  Grin

Then there are the away matches where she has to be within range of that Radio Leicester .....

Truth be told I like football myself and I'm happy if she's happy (teeth not gritted at all)

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

That sounds a fair set up Russ - I have on reflection always preferred solitary pastimes - like sailing  for example and aeromodelling fits does it not?  Not realised it before!  Football has never worked for me though.  Probably do not  understand it.

But getting back to the real topic I do sense a recovery in model making even though it is slight.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »

Just got hold of my VMC Sopwith Triplane from Ricky yesterday and I have to say the VMC are certainly doing all they can to make aeromodelling accessible.  How much more success would we have had back in the day with kits like these!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: