Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 04:18:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shrinking/doping tissue  (Read 1150 times)
groglewis
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »

Hi
New to this site and a born again balsa/tissue model plane builder.
Just built a Guillows Mk.1 Spitfire to get back into the swing of things but having finishing probs with the tissue. I water shrunk the tissue and got a satisfactory finish and tightness. When applying EZE-DOPE, neat and by brush the finish was horrible, there were no instructions on the bottle regarding dilution !!
Can anyone give a definitive answer about doping which will give a suitable finish so I can learn how to spray paint the model.
Look forward to constructive replies.
Groglewis Undecided
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »

There is a fair bit of info on EZ-Dope here and elsewhere.  Short summary:

1. It must be diluted 30:70 E-Z-Dope to water.  (Better results were with 25:75 dilution)
2. Care must be used when diluting to minimize air bubbles because the air bubbles ruin the finish

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1920210-EZEdope-trials-(continued)

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20902.0

Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 275

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »

I thought this was the best attempt at a non-specific title which saves a whole new file for every little thing.

I have a little glass bottle with a honey coloured liquid inside which looks and smells like dope and it has 'low' written on it in felt pen so I guess it is low shrink dope.  There is no suggestion where it came from but I think it might have come by post several years ago so I am not pursuing that source.  However it needs thinning. All I have in the house are White Spirit and Acetone which I think are best avoided. As all my flying is now indoors with small, often dopeless, aeroplanes my dope usage is about three teaspoons a year so I don't want a gallon can. So if someone can advise me of a reliable supplier of a small amount of thinners I would be grateful. As this is an international forum I should mention that I live in England near Bradford.
John

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »

John, you must have a local garage or bodywork shop. They will certainly have some cellulose thinner, even if it´s ´spraygun wash´which will thin your dope. Anti-bloom is better. Send someone with a small bottle
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Hi,

30:70 ezedope to water is what I have used.  If you are using “domestic” or lighter tissues then I would recommend shrinking with a 5% solution as it gives the tissue the wet strength required to take the 30:70 Ezedope when brushed on.

You must brush it out, leaving pools of it will result in streaks, the foam brushes work well.

It’s a bit tricky to use, but with a bit of trial and error it can look and perform very well.

Andrew

Klunk
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »

More on EZ Dope here.  Think they'd sell more if they included decent documentation with it.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22882.0

As for dilution depending on volume required I use either the cheap pipettes you can get in art supplies shops or the graduated caps that come with things like cough medicine.
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 04:58:00 PM »

John, you must have a local garage or bodywork shop. They will certainly have some cellulose thinner, even if it´s ´spraygun wash´which will thin your dope. Anti-bloom is better. Send someone with a small bottle

Heh.  "Lacquer thinner" in the US, and we call it "blush" not bloom, and put in "retarder" to cure it.  Two countries, separated by a common language...
vintagemike
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 01:47:50 AM »

Do not use (spray) Gun wash to thin dope, it has a high reclaimed thinner content as well as loads of water!
PietenpolAC
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Hungary Hungary

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:09:04 AM »

So if someone can advise me of a reliable supplier of a small amount of thinners I would be grateful. As this is an international forum I should mention that I live in England near Bradford.
John

John,

I live in Europe so hopefully the stores are common. I just go to paint section at Baumax, Pratiker, Obi, etc. and by nitrate thinner. It's cheap and works just as well as any of the expensive brand name thinners from modelling companies.

Bruce
Big G
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »

In England, just go to the nearest car-spares shop and buy a gallon of no-blush thinner. The brand I use is Tetrosyl. No problem, and cheap as chips. A gallon will last the average builder almost for ever.

G
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 12:57:15 AM »

I've used acetone as thinner for both nitrate and butyrate clear dopes.   Is it as good as using proper (matched systems from mfg'er) dope thinners? Probably not, but it does work.

Darkening is a curious propensity of nitrate dopes, while still liquid. The older the dope , the darker the amber will become. fortunately it doesn't hurt the dops qualities to shrink and seal, etc. And coats are usually quite thin after drying, so as not to ruin a clear doped look. I use some very dark nitrate hoping the color would enhance a vintage look, but had to add pigment and or tea (stain in shrink process) to get it sufficiently dark.
Jasco
Bronze Member

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »

Good heavens do NOT use acetone for much of anything.  It works great, but it depresses the central nervous system, causes dizziness, confusion, ketosis, and above all is flammable as hell.   Ethyl Acetetate is a good substitute, but I've used lacquer thinner for dope for years.  Still dangerous, but make sure you are in a well ventilated area.  And DON'T SPRAY IT without a chemical air filter mask.
They are just toy airplanes, but the chemicals we use demand respect.

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »

Interesting username and advice.
You're probably not related to the "Jasco" company that makes acetone, MEK, Naphtha,Xylene (etc)  are you???

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Jasco
Bronze Member

Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »

My username refers to the old model airplane company.  I've done some pretty stupid things in my life including putting gasoline in the solvent reservoir of a compressed air cleaner/sprayer. Since those salad days of stupidity I've grown up. That being said, I just looked up acetone risks on the Google, and it seems I was misinformed about the health risks.  Maybe it was the fact that I was thinning nitrate dope with it and then sprayed it in my airbrush that made me think about the fire risk. I dunno.
Maybe I'm an internet crank, but I don't think so.
Stay safe at any rate.

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: