Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 23, 2018, 08:06:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Senior Dart  (Read 582 times)
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »

I recently completed my rendition of the 1937 Comet Senior Dart. The Senior Dart is a nice rubber powered sport model with a 24" wing span. For this build I redrew the plan using CAD tools. That allowed me to make sure the parts would fit correctly, and to also incorporate a few structural changes to better match current day building practices. One unique feature of the original plan is the wing can move forward and back to allow adjustments to achieve the best CG location. I was not happy with the way the original design implemented the movable wing feature so I did alter the design in that area. The movable wing was retained along with removable wing panels. For the most part the original structure was retained.

If anyone is interested in my plan package it is available for free download at parmodels.com. Just navigate to the downloadable plans section, then the Free Flight plans, and finally the redrawn Comet plans section.

Paul Bradley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet Senior Dart
Comet Senior Dart
Comet Senior Dart
Comet Senior Dart
randoloid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

Beautiful work!  I've eyed that plan for quite a while.  Let us know how she flies!
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »

I have to admit that those are the best CAD plans that I have ever seen!  They look like hand drawn plans.  I have never liked the raw or un edited CAD plans because they just did not look right.  I guess that I was lucky that I got out of the design game just as CAD was coming into use.  I had to be able to read them but never had to create any.  As I retired it was getting harder to have drawings sent electronically in a format that I could use so I guess I retired at the right time.  Bang up job and I have bookmarked your site.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »

Gorgeous model Paul!  About to download the plan............and agree with faif2d, your beautiful electronic plan has the 'look' of something drawn by hand.  Maybe because you've shown wood grain where appropriate.

Don
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:31:36 PM »

Many thanks for this.  I printed the plan for this model a while back but didn't get around to throwing it together.  Glad I didn't now - good things come to those who wait!

Nice job on yours too.  I thought it would be a real performer with such light structure and set up for a heap of rubber in there.  Look forward to hearing how yours goes.
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments about the model and plan. I do agree that developing a raw CAD plan can leave those of us with a history of looking at hand drawn plans feeling like something is missing. I have been working to get more of a hand drawn look to my CAD Plans. Still not at that level, but adding things like wood grain does help. Showing the wood grain also helps the less experienced builder understand how the parts should be oriented on the balsa sheets before cutting them out.

I am looking forward to getting the model in the air. This time of year in our hemisphere I don't know when that will happen.

Paul Bradley
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »

So long as you don't have to rely on the public service to get to your flying site!  Grin
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 133

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »

Beautifully built Paul and I'm also impressed by your Cad plan. It's not easy to add character to cad which by definition is characterless!

John
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 05:23:38 AM »

Beautiful work,Paul!

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 06:08:48 AM »

Paul start doing the title blocks in free-hand and figure out a cool way to sign your name like Henry Struck did. Your name has a nice ring to it like Carl Goldberg.  Thanks for being the one who likes computers so much to take on the labor.

The Threadkiller!
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:02:00 AM »

Thanks a bunch John, Scott, and Crabby. It would not be hard to create a hand lettered look to the title block and to add a stylized signature. My one concern regarding the signature would be having a real signature out on the Internet. Even if it was not the signature I would use on a legal document.

Paul Bradley
dwidrick
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »

Nice! Makes me wanna build one

David
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »

Thanks David. I do hope a Senior Dart emerges from your building board.

Paul Bradley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: