Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 20, 2018, 04:08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rivers Silver Streak bearings  (Read 307 times)
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »

Now heres one for you old-timers:
Just broken down a superb Silver Streak 2.5.  You will know they have cunning needle bearings on the crank.
Swear I havent lost any, or none left in case, but rear set have eight spacers and only six needles ....
Front is 8/8, as I believe is normal.
Question then:
Presumably one can live with a small gap, the bearings ony rotate one way, no way they can foul up(?).
Seems to be smooth and silky, revs like a good 'un too.
Guess could make a couple- or have them made more likely.
Subsidiary: what material?
Any helpful comments most welcome.
Thanks
jpc
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:19:25 AM »

I don't have personal experience of handling Silver Streaks (or the bigger Arrow)-but the cageless roller bearings will certainly be a standard roller size-and you can purchase loose rollers from bearing shops-you just need to measure the length and diameter of one of the remaining ones-the SS Mk1 is stated as having 1.5mm dia rollers (7-off) whereas the Mk2 has 8-given you stated earlier that yours has 8 at the front I'd guess its a Mk2 example  Modellers have been making use of these loose rollers for years-they make great pressed-in crankpins for DIY crankshafts-being hard as the hobs of hell-and very accurately finished for size.....they also make good pivots for rear disc valves....!

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:27:22 AM »

Chris
Many thanks for your most knowledgable and helpful reply.  I did indeed locate some needles purporting to be 7.5 x 1.5 on eBay. (What did we do before eBay?).
Next question: do I replace all the needles in the one race, or just the missing ones.  It would be a miracle if they are an exact fit, but who knows?
Then, does the 'new' set go in the front or rear?  My guess would be rear, but only as they would be nearest to the stressor, ie crankpin.  Not a scientific analysis.
It is indeed a Mk II from a collection not a milion miles from your neck of the woods.... so I cant believe that the missing needles are not on my floor or in my trouser turn-up!
I did post a couple of videos of the Rivers ( and an Arrow) on YouTube.  Sad I know.  Had to let the Arrow go before it amputated any more extremeties.
Might even vid the Streak in bits ... well, it keeps me out of the pub.
So thanks again, will let you know the outcome.
john

ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »

John -good luck with the replacement. As I said-whilst being quite familiar with the Rivers in detail, I've never handled one in the flesh as it were. I imagine it might be a bit challenging putting it all back together with the 'complete' bearing complement of needle rollers-I suppose a bit of heavy oil or even a small amount of grease might keep things in place whilst the shaft is refitted.....!   Personally I'd put the new ones where they should be, rather than mess about swapping things round. I don't know whether it would be advisable to replace all 8 rollers or just the two missing ones. How much wear occurs on these things in practical use-and in a well lubricated environment? IIRC they operate in a hardened steel bearing sleeve in any case....I suppose it is probably better-purely from a wear perspective to replace all 8....but is it really necessary?  The rear bearing-regardless of whether it is a ball bearing or roller bearing-is always the most heavily loaded of the two.

I'm surprised you let the Arrow go-all the published literature indicates it was an even better engine than the Silver Streak-and quite a few people consider it superior to the Oliver Tiger Major for both handling and performance-and that's not an accolade to be taken lightly!

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »

John,
        I have both a Silver Streak and Arrow but have not had to dismantle them. It is good practice to replace them all as you have no idea of how worn they are. I assume you have purchased a complete set. the normal assembly method is to retain the rollers with light grease. This also provides lubrication in the initial running phase as well.
I was suprised about comments on how the Streak handled as mine is well mannered and started well.
Ricky 
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »

John,
        I have both a Silver Streak and Arrow but have not had to dismantle them. It is good practice to replace them all as you have no idea of how worn they are. I assume you have purchased a complete set. the normal assembly method is to retain the rollers with light grease. This also provides lubrication in the initial running phase as well.
I was suprised about comments on how the Streak handled as mine is well mannered and started well.
Ricky 
Thanks, yes I think I will replace both sets.
No problems eith either Streak or Arrow. In fact S/S fire first flick after I de-gummed it!
Arrow was so damnpowerful it scared me stiff
John
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:32 AM »

Many thanks to Chris and Ricky for good advices ...
Just to let you know I changed both sets of needles, retaining the original (and pristine) spacers.  Cold crank, lots of sticky grease and - success!
Feels quite tight, but still need to flush out grease.  A few ml of fuel the best thing?
john
ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »

Yes-but probably best to run it -that way it will get hot -the grease will soften a bit and be more likely to flush out/dissolve under the pumping action of primary compression and the agitation of shaft rotation.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Fourfingers
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »

Gave it a good blast today.  Bearings super smooth!
Thanks to all
jc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: