Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 23, 2018, 03:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Battery question UK  (Read 577 times)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »

A naive question please. For RDT, where do people get small batteries with these connectors as used on Bodnar system. All available batteries seem to have different connectors - do people change them?
thanks
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Battery question UK
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 06:41:34 AM »

Hello Bill

Most people change them - I used to buy them from Robotbirds, but I haven't looked recently!

Peter
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:14:16 AM »

On batteries of that size I use 0.8mm gold connectors.
Ron
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »

Bill

For connectors and small LiPo's try
Micron http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/index.html
Or the other usual suspects, Derek at KP Aero or Kevin at Sams.

John M
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »

Thanks all. The fog is clearing
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

You might find the following useful:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Pairs-Micro-JST-1-25mm-2-Pin-Male-and-Female-Connector-Plug-with-Wires/202020794248?hash=item2f0960af88:g:fNMAAOSw1EhZjk6G

I use SIL broken out of the sockets and heatshrinked as per the pic below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-pin-Single-In-Line-SIL-Turned-Pin-Socket-0-1-Inch-Pitch-Sold-2-Pieces/321922686621?hash=item4af4165e9d:g:gkcAAOSwIwhWSl6p

and also Micro JST:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Pairs-Micro-JST-1-25mm-2-Pin-Male-and-Female-Connector-Plug-with-Wires/202020794248?hash=item2f0960af88:g:fNMAAOSw1EhZjk6G

Bear in mind that if you buy generic small lipos (available on ebay) some have a PCM board in built which limits charge and discharge. I take them out and resolder the wires.

https://img.rcgroups.com/http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php%3Faction=dlattach;topic=22787.0;attach=175503;image?h=imQ0rVUsnBoSviXb7Ve5Pg
Battery question UK
strat-o
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »

The neatest battery connection scheme I've ever seen is the BaHoMa system which stands for BAttery HOlder MAgnetic.  The terminals are small rare-earth magnets.  While Plantraco of Canada didn't come up with the idea, they helped refine it.  http://www.plantraco.com/Welcome?search=bahoma

You can have several extra cells and the charger accepts the magnetized batteries.  You can choose to mount the battery outside of the plane.  To change the battery you just pull it off and slap on a freshly charged one.  The magnets are strong enough to support and hold the whole battery.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »

Since getting involved with RDT, I find myself generating a lot of daft questions. To avoid annoying friends, manufacturers and HIP  with these questions, I try to spread them around. It's your turn again.
Here is my RDT. I want the battery to be 6" further away. Do I need to make up my own extension lead or are they available reddi-made. Or will I be told I shouldn't use an extension at all?
thanks
Bill
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Battery question UK
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »

You have a so called JR connector at the battery's lead. They are the most used connectors for RC stuff like servos, batteries and everything else to connect electrically.

You will surely find an extension ranging from 4" to 40" in your nearest hobby shop. They will have 3 wires running in parallel, but dont bother, the third wire will be "dead", unused in your application.

Or if you like to solder, take some thin, 0,15mm2, electrical wire, still found in the hobby shop and extend the existing wire beween the battery and the plug.

Urs

PS, IIRR you do not like to solder  Wink

Fast up-Slow down
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »

Thanks Urs - no, I don't like to solder!
Bill
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »

Bill

Are you sure you need an extra 6 inches? The ones I've seen have been short. I'll ask my chums when they get home.

Peter
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »

That looks very much like a standard servo connector. Extension from 6" to 36" should be easy to find. If you have trouble I'll make you one.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »

You might like to have a look at Atomic workshop which is Richard Crossley's brother Jonathan for batteries and leads.  And he is not at all anti social (but like many can be busy on occasions).  I find that JR plug bit hefty frankly and so would use the micro ones put up by Yak52.  I am no craftsman but found the soldering and heatshrinking pretty straightforward. Mind you a bit of a self induced weight penalty on your models may please other contestants!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »

Again, thanks all. I'm having to re-think the installation yet again but I have learned even more!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 04:45:33 PM »

Bill

An article on RDTs and how to fit them will be appearing in the Clarion pretty soon according to my chum Tony!!!

Peter
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »

Peter, my woes arise from trying to link RDT to overide an electronic timer in a ridiculous scale model!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »

Oh well if you will get all technical and do that kind of thing you have only yourself to blame. I for one am grateful to you for asking these questions as it enables me to save  face a bit.   I am not sure though how a scale model can be “ridiculous”?
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »

Peter, my woes arise from trying to link RDT to overide an electronic timer in a ridiculous scale model!

Bill-this is fairly standard procedure with electronic timers-but not necessarily going to work with something like a electric scale flight profiler-you would do well to talk to the actual designer to establish whether the circuit actually has provision for an external trigger.....which is what an RDT does if used in this sense. Most standard duration type FF electronic timers will state whether they are RDT compatible or not.....I do not recall seeing any 'flight profiler' type system that said this-and there are not many of the latter on the market....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 02:35:58 AM »

Thanks Chris
It's a Dens Models EZEE IC timer and I am just following their advice. The system does work; I've just got to work out the installation
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: