Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2018, 11:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yikes, Fikes!  (Read 532 times)
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:17:15 PM »

One of our club members, Jim Walston,  of the Retrieval System Walstons, has developed Alzheimer’s and is now in a nursing facility.
We decided to help his wife by having a garage sale of his mass of FF airplanes, kits engines, etc. I’m glad we did that as she got a good sum of money. I, of course, don’t need no moderation, so now I have 3 Coupes.but, I digress.

While  I was there, I found some more must have goodies, including a very nice Micro X kit of a peanut Fike.

I got into this hobby late, so missed all the talk over the years about Peanut Fikes and Lacy’s. Suffice it to say that I figure it should fly well and that’s good enough for me. Besides, no one else in the club has one.

The kit has excellent wood in it, and an addendum sheet with photos that is very helpful.

All the wood in the kit is 1/20.

Obligatory picture of the building board. Check out that enormous wing.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Yikes, Fikes!
Indoorflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »

Very nice!  Those old Micro-X and Peck kits were gems.  I have a few unbuilt Micro X kits shelved away, somebody's probably gonna end up buying 'em in an estate sale  Roll Eyes.     

Sorry to hear about Mr. Walston, but it's nice that his fellow club members are helping his family out, and there will be a good home for his hobby collection.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

It had to be seen to be believed. Never seen anything like it.
Indoorflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »

Oh, and re the Fike (I like):

Always wondered about the sheet dorsal on the vertical...maybe a simple 1/20thsq. strip outline would work, and just tissue the whole area of the fin.
Kinda looks like it could get tail heavy pretty easily, given the rear rubber peg location.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »

You are right. It is a fairly massive piece of wood so far back. Built up would be the way to go, unless my head explodes trying to do it.

I have the sticks all sorted out by weight, and will try to use the light stuff where I can because there is a lot of (light) lumber in this thing.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »

I built the Micro X Fike about 15 years ago. Great flier! I have another kit in the stockpile that cost considerably more than the first one... I fancy a x2 version for GM300 CO2!

Cheers and good luck with yours,

Dan.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:02 AM »

I have quite a stockpile of CO2 equipment and motors. I used to fly the CO2 event at the Nats every year. The rules were changed and wrecked the event. I should sell it off. A huge achievement was beating George Perryman to win the Nats. I came out of a monstrous briar patch looking like I had been in a knife fight, but I had my airplane, and made it back for a last minute launch for the win.  (Hint***black and yellow not a good color combo for rescue from a midwestern acre sized briar patch in the summer).

I think I have a NIB 300motor in my CO2 graveyard drawer. Great motor!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: