Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2018, 05:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Double Covering Required?  (Read 449 times)
Bigbandito
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »

I've been flying for about two years now and have built five free flight models. I've never built or flown a Dimescale model, but my club is having a FAC Dimescale competition in May so I'm about to build one. In looking at the contest rules I came upon paragraph E:

"E. Coverings:
 1. Double covering required unless original era plan specifically states "single covering."
 2. Single covering OK if original era kit supplied just one set of wing insignias or markings."

Does this really mean what it says? Two layers of tissue on each surface? How does this requirement apply if I'm building a newer kit (Volare's Martin MO-1) and I'm not sure if there ever was "an original era plan?" Is this a Pseudo-Dimescale then?

Thanks for your feedback and guidance.

"If you love something, set it free...  Just make sure you've got a DT on it."  - Richard Bach (paraphrased)
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »

They are talking about tissue on both sides of the wing as double covering not two layers of tissue.  Some of the dime scale kits only covered the top of the wing what they are calling single covering.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

yes, my Martin MO-1 is Pseudo-Dime or Neo-Dime.  (as it is neo-dime, cover top and bottom).

As described, a few of the old dime kits only called for tissue on one side of the wing.  I have never see one like this in competition (but I am sure some have flown like that). 

Everyone just covers top and bottom of all surfaces.

I hope you enjoy your Martin!

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »

For an illustration of the notation about single covering, look in he plan gallery at the Comet Farman Stratoplane-specifically the right wing, there is a notation that "wing is covered on top side only."  I can not comment on your specific plan because I have not seen it.
Bigbandito
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. Your answers make a lot of sense. I always struggle with adding lightness to my builds (heavy handed with the glue) and couldn't imagine how one of mine would fly with two layers of tissue.

Best
Dana

"If you love something, set it free...  Just make sure you've got a DT on it."  - Richard Bach (paraphrased)
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »

"Wings are covered on top side only" is the notation on the Comet Wiley Post biplane dimer.

FAC "rules" are a good example of things "lost in the translation."

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: