Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2018, 11:54:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Partial motors - what is the correct weight?  (Read 638 times)
spr
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »

A semi-academic question:  The theory says that partial motors should be say 1/2 or 1/3 of the 1/1 motor weight. Is it so also in real life? Do you get 1/2 flight times and 1/2 elevation with exactly 1/2 weighing motors?  OR should we have a bit more rubber in partial motors to accomplish the knot weight?

The knot weights as much in full motor than in a 1/3 motor, which means that the loop length in 1/3 motor is less that 1/3rd of the full motor loop.  My reasoning is that this affects the performance of the model (and VP) so, that calculations of the full motor performance are quite inaccurate.

What is your experience? If we count the partial motor weight like 1/3 * (0.4 g - knot weight) + (knot weight), is this more accurate estimation of full motor performance than 1/3 * 0.4g?
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »

Ive not flown F1D but have used partial motors. I have also wondered about this. I think that the effect is lost with the general variation due to differences in temperature and lift and sink between small and high ceiling venues. I'll also be interested to hear what others think.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »

You could always cut off a knot and weigh it.
adanjo
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Japan Japan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:52:46 PM »

What is your experience? If we count the partial motor weight like 1/3 * (0.4 g - knot weight) + (knot weight), is this more accurate estimation of full motor performance than 1/3 * 0.4g?

Yes.
And I consider the weight of the O ring(s), too, because I always use two rings for full motor and one ring for partial motor.

Aki
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 276

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »

Spr.
You are right to raise the question but the way you raise it indicates that you really know what to do already.
Piecost
Is correct, of course, to mention ever present variables.
Adango
Is correct, of course, to define what is being used.

All I can do is to repeat the golden rule for success in Indoor Flying - Keep Records. If you have turns, torques, trims,times all recorded you won't care if you motor is 1/2 or 63% as long as the weights are correct!
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: