Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2018, 11:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Wings Hawker Hart  (Read 814 times)
Rich W
Copper Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »

Hi all,

After building a few Guillows kits and a West Wings Spitfire 22/24, my wife surprised me and purchased me the Hawker Hart by the UK company West Wings. I couldn't help but clear the board and start building as I love the Hawker biplanes, and I've never actually got around to building anything with a second set of wings yet.

Its a nice size (24.9") and as with the Spitfire of theirs I built the balsa used is good quality though its a pain in the rear to have to cut it all out in this day and age of laser cut everything! The only other criticism of it I have so far is the lack of rigging detail on the plans for the upper wing. "Cut struts to fit" is just a bit vague for a model this nice. Fuselage and wings have been fairly straightforward, the only bit giving me headaches is the cockpit coaming, and the gunners cupola/turret ring, but I'll have a crack at that over the next few nights.

All being well, by the time the good weather comes around I might have it ready for a test flight or two.

Rich

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
West Wings Hawker Hart
West Wings Hawker Hart
West Wings Hawker Hart
West Wings Hawker Hart
West Wings Hawker Hart
West Wings Hawker Hart
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »

Excellent Rich, I have long thought we needed a build thread on this kit.
Ăˆven though my thing is f/f power duration, I have this kit in my stash.

Looking forward to seeing more.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 130

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:33 AM »

I am actually glad to see somebody out there is still cutting balsa. It really is a luxury few can afford in this messed up world of hurry up and get there. One reason we sit at the bench is to stop time for a little while. Cut that balsa while your hands still feel to grip.  Wink Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:51:29 AM »

Nice looking structure Rich. I agree with Crabby and I'm looking forward to watching this come together.

How strong are the formers? It's a bit late now but do you think cross pieces of say 1/16" sq top and bottom would have countered the bad grain direction top and bottom.

I know that many of the kits are like this - I was just curious.

John
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 130

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »

Rich, I just did cockpit coaming with boiled reed formed over an aluminum rod. First get a measured length of reed, boil it till limp as a noodle then form over the rod. It doesn't have to be aluminum, mine was. just get close with the diameter. You will need two directions of bend at the same time, sort of make the outline of a saddle across and around the rod, tape it then bake at 200 degrees for an hour or so. You can look at the WW1 cook up and see a few different ways to do it. Its harder said than done in most cases.

The Threadkiller!
Rich W
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »

Thanks for the comments chaps, its making me feel quite good about the build. I'm always wary of posting stuff when you see some of the art in balsa on sites like this, I've only been back into things for a year or so after ignoring building balsa aircraft for a good few years. I spend about a hour on an evening and sometimes a half hour in the morning at it before work, I find it to be a great stress reliever.

I have  afeeling this site is going to be the ruin of me, as I've signed up to the plans gallery and spotted all kinds of goodies I want to build!

How strong are the formers? It's a bit late now but do you think cross pieces of say 1/16" sq top and bottom would have countered the bad grain direction top and bottom.

The formers are quite strong, none of them split and I had expected a few to go where they start to curve to form the top of the fuselage. I would say I dropped lucky, but both West Wings Spitfire kits I built had similar good quality wood, so it may be that they're actually paying attention to their selection of what goes in the kit.

So... onto progress. I've started on the tail feathers, and they're a bit trickier as they're made out of numerous small pieces jointed together to make the basic shape before using 4.5mm x 1.5mm strip to make the internal structure. They look a bit odd at the minute but sanding them tomorrow should bring them into a nice aerofoil shape.

I've also started to laminate a turret ring by steaming some soft 0.8mm strip and rolling it around a suitable diameter socket out of my tool kit. I've added a deck for it to sit in, and the sides of its part of the coaming. So far so good, and I'll put some more photos up tomorrow night.

Rich

ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »

Rich this is a lovely subject and one of those designs that screams out to be built.  I predict that you may have issues with the Starved Horse effect however when you cover it between formers 6 and 8 - not a lot of support for the stringers there.  I'm sure I would end up with snaky stringers!

A suggested fix if you agree is to retro fit a 1/16 square box structure at the locations shown.  Using tweezers to get in, do the basic box between the most suitable sets of stringers and then slide packers in behind the 'side stringers' to suit.  finally some little radials between the top and bottom stringers and the top and bottom rails of your 'box'.

It's a bit of faffing about but clearly well within your skills and will result in that beautiful shape staying like that.
Re: West Wings Hawker Hart
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

I just remembered I used a similar approach on the prototype Avetek CT4 Airtrainer.  There's a picture showing the approach in Reply #3  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22322.0
Rich W
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot, as while I want the stringers to show - I don't want it to look underfed. The sides have a slight curve to them, so I'm going to adapt the idea and make a couple of small side formers out of spare 4.5mm strip then brace across.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »

Looking good Rich!

Graham
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »

Hello Rich
This is Charlie Newman's version, converted to a Demon. He made the cockpit coaming  from small diameter leather cord from Haberdashers, stuck around the edge.
tubegeek
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »

I have  a feeling this site is going to be the ruin of me, as I've signed up to the plans gallery and spotted all kinds of goodies I want to build!
I feel your pain!
Same here.
Nice build, lovely-looking plane so far.
dwidrick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »

Hey Rich, hang in there! We all have been there to many times and some have just thrown in trash! As far as showing things on here its fine to show mistakes,Screw ups..... I am the worst criticizer of my own work. I read all the post good, bad and ugly on here and few other places and learn a lot from everybody and try to contribute some back of what i have learned! keep us posted !

David
Rich W
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:33 PM »

Thanks for the compliments chaps!

I got some more work done, my DIY laminated ring worked a treat for the gunners cupola and careful work with templates got the top decking spot on. A little more work with templates saw the cutouts done for the pilot, and to fit the turret ring in.

I managed to get some of the infills done for the machine gun on the port side of the fuselage, and also the tail feathers have now been sanded to shape. Its the only place I've had trouble with the balsa being too soft, in that the outer parts keep separating - I have it all sorted now, but I'm hoping that shrinking tissue won't tension it too much and it go again. If I build another I would likely use the Guillows method of two laminations of a smaller thickness with opposing grain direction for strength.

Next up is a little reinforcement to the fuselage, the interplane struts, and sanding the wing leading edges.
dwidrick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »