Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 24, 2018, 06:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Once again, the vertical building board  (Read 536 times)
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »

Brothers and sisters, I get requests now and again to revisit my balsa butchers solution to sciatic nerve pain and sore shoulders. I suffer from the worst sciatic nerve pain, and although my chiropractor has my life back in order again, I feel I must do the diligence to remain at the building board. If there is anyone out there who can't build sitting down because of shoulder/back pain, here is a possible solution for you. We are not getting any younger but now with superior intelligence compared with our youth, our noodles are outlasting our bodies for whatever the reason is. If this solution is of interest to you or anyone in your building circle please contact me, (I don't want your money). Its not beyond a balsa butchers intellect to build, or direct! Please do not give up your moments of serenity because of back and shoulder pain. Get to a chiropractor, and then get one of these things built. It takes up very little footprint of your shop, You can stick with your pin habit or go magnetic!  You can answer the damn phone without pushing the chair back!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Once again, the vertical building board
Once again, the vertical building board

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 159

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:41:22 AM »

That really is an elegant solution Crabby. I particularly like the way you use the building board as a cover for more storage behind it. It occurred to me that it wouldn't take much to add another lid over the building board - side hinging it perhaps?

What is your solution for using the computer - for drawing for eg?

John
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »

Thanks and good am John, My solution for sitting at the computer, after I got pain free, was a course in "The Alexander Technique" at our local YMCA. It is a combined awareness and posture discipline course that makes you see and correct how out of line you are in your daily moves. It ricocheted into Zen-Buddhist meditation, but that is another story.  I am not a cripple but I will be based on my disc herniations, if I ever get complacent for a long period of time. I got my sciatica under control via a skilled chiropractor, who I now see twice a month for maintenance. I like your idea about adding another "side hinge" lid, there must be a hinge out there that will do the duty and be hidden so I don't impede my flat working space? All that said, I am sitting at the computer daily, for survival in this world, (like the wheel) But not so much in my modeling, (anymore), I find it dulls my brains and hands. I don't mean to cast stones but I am aware of some people who depend heavily on computers in their daily living, and I just won't have it in my modeling anymore.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 159

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »

I agree with keeping the old hand skills going as much as possible. However I'm guilty of succumbing (seduced???) by the computer's ability to draw components accurately which I then cut out by hand.

I'll let you get back to your tripehound.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »

With you all the way on the alternative treatments Crabby (as they are known here) - work all the time! I don't have such severe problems as you but have to recognise that since getting my pension book some years ago I am not was flexible as I used to be.  I am also reliably informed that back and muscle pains etc. that occur in later life are often provoked by not being careful with ones self in the earlier years so your idea is good for anyone I suggest. It may not trouble you now but could well do later on!  Prevention better than cure! Have look at the spine uncovered - it is incredibly fragile looking but takes all the weight and stresses we choose to inflict upon ourselves.  An incredible piece of engineering.

So I had to think about things but unfortunately I had not seen your version and had made my own  from scraps so cost me tuppence and it is adjustable from flat to varying degrees of slant..  Now I am a firm convert to the magnetic building board, which is proving very versatile, I just lay the magnetic board on the one illustrated below.  But I can see that there will be an upgrade in the future.  If for no other reason than the space advantage.

I concur also about computers but I think we have the advantage of knowing how life was without them and hence use them only for the original purpose.  I am am becoming increasingly concerned with young people who seem to be losing various abilities - communication for one - due to constant use of computers tablets and smart phones. They may become very expert in using these devices but when you look at it is is a very narrow track. I find some of them very naive in basic things.   

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Once again, the vertical building board
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »

David, the thought of being out in the garden in the fresh air for a build is my idea of sublime. Computers are great slaves but lousy bosses. I will say I compose better at the keyboard or pen than verbally. That's because I can wait for the golden word to come or look it up rather than settle for the dismal one my brains supply at the moment. This is where the conversation lags, you lose your train of thought, and the Magpies take over. 

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: