Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2018, 02:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Airbrush Problem  (Read 828 times)
alfakilo
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »

As part of coming back to this hobby, I dug out my old airbrush but am having problems getting it to spray.

First of all, it's a Badger from about 1980. No model number on it. It's a single action siphon feed airbrush. See picture.

I've disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly. I've attached it to both a Propel can and a compressor. Results are the same, very little airflow. I suspect the problem is in the air valve but don't recognize any immediate problems. I suppose I'll mail it to Badger for their service offer and see what they think.

I plan on spraying Tamiya acrylics. What mixture is a good start?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Airbrush Problem
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

What does the lettering on the body say? I don't recognize the model but it is a single action correct?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
alfakilo
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:37:33 PM »

What does the lettering on the body say? I don't recognize the model but it is a single action correct?

Just 'Badger' with no model number. There are numbers '19120'.

This website of vintage airbrushes identifies it as a "1960s single action model 200":

http://www.getpainted.com/vintageairbrushes.html
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »

Same one I've had since 1970.  If there is too little airflow to move paint, that screw on the back is adjusted in or out to suit.  the thumbscrews simply lock the adjustment.  Don't even bother with the "Propel" cans - a serious waste of money and they might still be Freon or Propane/Butane (Freon is now illegal just about everywhere)  and have a tendency to "freeze".  Ten cans of "Propel" and you've spent the amount for a decent small compressor.

I've had good results with my 200, but prefer my Aztec (a bit simpler to keep clean).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
alfakilo
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »

I was able to find Badger parts for today's 200 model. The air valve seemed similar and wasn't too pricey, so I ordered it and hoped for the best.

Happily, it fit my old airbrush and now the brush operates as I remember. One thing I can't find is the old Badger bottle (the kind that screws on to the bottom). Makes color switching more effort but such is life.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 02:12:42 AM »

I tripped over this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydx7REk4Rzs
 Impressed is "splurged' the 10$ and 2 months later the thing arrived.
Happily it is Everything that Video guy claimed it is.. 10$ V well spent.
 MY badger is in storage as result.
Steviedean
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Builder since 1970

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »

Hi,
Another way to go is harbor freight.
They sell an airbrush that seems to be a clone of the Badger 200. At my local store in Sheboygan, Wisconsin it retails between $19.99 & $21.99 and that's before their 20% off coupon. I have a friend at work who swears by them.
It's worth a shot!
Steviedean

Steve Probelski
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: