Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2018, 11:00:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Copying/Printing Tissue  (Read 377 times)
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:08:13 AM »

Just a thought on how to 'print' tissue by using the copying ability of a printer:

1.  Draw something you want to print.  In this case I used an aileron outline and registration number for a wing (1st pic).
2.  Check the fit of the graphics with the wing (2nd pic).
3.  Lightly spray the carrier paper with repositional glue, then attach the tissue (red in this case) to the carrier paper (3rd pic).
4.  Place the graphic to be copied on the bed of the printer, and the tissue/carrier paper in the paper feed bin (4th pic)
5.  Depress the copy button and copy the graphic to the tissue.  Remove the tissue from the carrier paper (5th pic).

The graphics won't print as crisply as an electronic file, but still, not a bad copy.  If you have some artistic skills, I think some quite neat printed tissue is possible.  One thing however, if your printer does not use Durabrite ink, be careful when shrinking with water:  the ink may run.  Tissue printed with an Epson printer with Durabrite ink has never been an issue for me when shrinking with water.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Copying/Printing Tissue
Copying/Printing Tissue
Copying/Printing Tissue
Copying/Printing Tissue
Copying/Printing Tissue
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »

Exceptionally useful Don - but having spoken to Epson, who say Durabrite will only work with their "professional"printers, and also the manufacturer of a "compatible" (Jetec) no inkjet ink they produce (and Epson likewise) is waterproof. I will try experimenting in due course but would be interested if anyone else has had any success. 

I was successful a couple or three years ago with Jetec inks but then they got a smack from Epson and had to use Epson cartridges for filling and possibly have made changes to the ingredients and or mix. 
Mike Thomas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »

I have used Epson Durabrite inks in an Epson Workforce Pro WF-4630 and have had no problems with water, water/methylated spirits, dope thinner, or dope. I have used printed tissue over Mylar where my method is to get the tissue very wet with water, place it on the previously doped Mylar surface, dab it with a paper towel to remove excess water, and then brush on thinner or very thin dope. At no point has the ink been affected. The Workforce Pro is a typical home office/small business printer, and not particularly expensive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: