Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2019, 09:00:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Some of my R/C fleet  (Read 1083 times)
Mike Taylor

« on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »

Since I'm new here, I thought I'd show some of the models that I have made over the last year or so.

A couple of years ago, I tried to go into the R/C mail-order business. I bought a lot of Falcon gear, but didn't move enough of it before newer gear came out, and the big-guns of mail-order made it unprofitable. This keft me with a lot of 1.8 gram RX, 1.6 gram servos, and a number of 'Breeze blocks' (4-channel RX with 2 integrated sservos @ 4.8 grams total). What to do?

Build...

Here is a Sweepette-based HLG. I built two, one with a flat-bottomed, foam core, balsa sheeted wing, 1/32" balsa tail group, and all LEs are wrapped in laminated bass wood. The 'heavy' model weighs the same as an all balsa, FF Sweepette build for a nostalgia event by another builder.

A second airframe was made up with a sparred, ribbed, sheeted, undercambered wing, lighter CF tail boom, and better gear placement. This one is capable of slope soaring in the wind drift that lifts over the front of the house...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Some of my R/C fleet
Some of my R/C fleet
Some of my R/C fleet
Some of my R/C fleet
Mike Taylor

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »

I also liked U/C stunters as a lad, and always coveted the Nobler. Here is a blend of the Brown B-2 'Miss Los Angeles' and the Nobler, dubbed 'Miss Camarillo'. WS is 22", 4-channel 'full house' controls. It is all balsa, has 0-0-0 settings, fully semtrical wing, 8 gram BL motor, and a 2-cell 220 mah battery. AUW is ~60 grams.
Re: Some of my R/C fleet
Mike Taylor

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »

I got one of the first ParkZone Cessna 210, 2.4 Ghz, 17 gram models, and since the radios were so cheap (about the cost of a single Falcon servo), I had to have some of those as well. Here are some peanut (and under) sized models I have built using this gear. The 'Walt Mooney Cook-up' at SFA prompted a couple of the builds.

A Walt Mooney-designed Elias Aircoupe.

An all-sheet Depron Skyray, 10" WS, 18 grams. A Northern Harrier took a pass at this one one morning. Lucily, I saw him coming out of the corner of my eye in time to barrel-roll onto his six. Watch 'DogFights' on the History Channel helps a lot!

Printed-tissue over Depron makes up this Albatross

This Pitts Special is made from .050" Durobatics material, PZ radio and 7mm pager motor.
Mike Taylor

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »

I was asked to test a proto-type 30 mm EDF with custom made motor. The first model this unit went into was a profile Depron F-102 (sorta). It used the same 2-cell 250 mah packs as the other BL motors I use. Thrust (54 grams) exceeded the model's AUW of 50 grams. Vertical perfomance in an EDF!

A follow on model was made. I made a CF duct system and built it into a full fuselage, built up version. Weight sort of got out of hand and it came in at a porky 70 grams. I still flies very nice, but vertiacl is gone Sad
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »

Hi Mike:
Some very fine RC projects going there, I like the little stuff too, it's amazing how small things get these days for R/C. That F-102 is an ambitious project, well done. Thanks for the good posting today. I will have to PM you on the availability of some small RC gear.

Bruce

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
Mike Taylor

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »

PM away, Bruce. I still have several systems NIP or can help you find what you need...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: