Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2018, 06:59:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for details about Ken Willard's "Sunday Fighters"  (Read 878 times)
artbykenb
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »

I have plans for Ken Willard's "Sunday Fighters". The plans call for wings called "Ace Sunday Wings". I've done searches for that wing name but - nothing doing. I don't know the wingspan so it's a little (DUH) difficult to order some foam wings. All that I do know about the wings is the chord. The plans say that they were "inked" in October 1973.

Anybody out there know what the wingspan of the Sunday Fighters is?  I could even make a built-up wing - IF I knew the wingspan.

Thanks, folks.

Ken Barclay
Garfield AR 72732

Ken Barclay
(artbykenb)
I might be dumb as a rock, but I'm not stupid.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »

Might be these:

https://www.flyingfoam.com/content/ace-mini-foam-wing-replica-taper-or-constant-chord

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
artbykenb
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

Thank you Sarduster_56. I went to that website & sent them a pitiful, whiny message asking if they had some info or suggestions for this model.  After all of this I think that close would be good enough for government work! :-) 

Ken Barclay
(artbykenb)
lakeflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

Try these guys http://eurekaaircraft.com/foamwings/wing-a.htm  or this guy http://stores.ebay.com/McClain-Foam-Wing-Cores
artbykenb
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »

More good foam wing sources. Thank you.

Ken Barclay
(artbykenb)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »

I'd put good 'Merican money on that the Sunday Fighters used the Ace Foam wings.

I don't know how many "Dick's Dream"s I built as a kid, or how many airplanes I built using the Ace Foam wings. They were cheap and easy. You say you know the chord, well, the Ace wings have a root chord of 5 3/8. If the plans show that chord, you're golden.

I think my favorite design that used the Ace wings was a Piper Arrow IV. It used the tapered wing. Hmmm... perhaps a winter project?

artbykenb
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »

Winter projects can be a good thing, if you keep the number of projects below 20!  LOL  I used to cut my own foam wings but I'm too old and too lazy to do that anymore. I'll post here when I find my "store bought" wings.

Ken Barclay
(artbykenb)
lakeflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »

I think the old Ace Foam wings were poured into a mold of some type. They were much denser that wire cut foam. I assume you would have to do something to strengthen an wire cut core.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »

I think the old Ace Foam wings were poured into a mold of some type. They were much denser that wire cut foam. I assume you would have to do something to strengthen an wire cut core.

I believe you are correct. The only strengthening that they needed was a strip of 3/4 fiberglass packing tape running along the bottom of the wing. I wonder if Estes still has the molds.

artbykenb
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »

About stiffening a hot-wire wing, I use "stiff" balsa on the leading and trailing edges of any foam wing. Lately, though, I've been using carbon fiber tubes let into the bottom of the wing. The tubing lets me run wires to servos, wing tip lights and other things in the wings. By "letting in" I mean that I've carved out slots for the rods/wires. I've also used long drill bits (see http://killerplanes.com/catalog/tools for examples of long drill bits) to insert carbon fiber rods or tubes.

I'm still waffling between using carbon fiber rods/tubes OR using balsa for wing spars. In the game of life, "it don't make me no never mind."  Smiley LOL  In my very humble opinion, store-bought foam wings are so much easier than fussing with a hot wire rig.

Ken Barclay
(artbykenb)
flyerinokc
Bronze Member

3rd Rate Hack Builder at your service!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »

I have plans to build one of each of the Sunday Flyers. I will attempt to add the article and plans when I get access to the plans area. I couldn't find the foam wings anymore but did find a set of laser cut ribs and purchased 7 sets. I got spars, trailing edge and a Balsa stick to make the leading edge from Balsa USA. I had the same cutting service make a short kit of both versions. Cutter is Balsaworkbench.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for details about Ken Willard's "Sunday Fighters"
Re: Looking for details about Ken Willard's "Sunday Fighters"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:35:04 PM by flyerinokc » Logged

Known menace to aerial navigation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: