Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2018, 03:52:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sikorsky S-16 on skis  (Read 1942 times)
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:03 PM »

Pete,

I take your point: elsewhere on HPA Bill has posted about achieving comp success, the gist of which is that it’s best attainable by picking a subject with known good flying qualities and substantial available documentation. This is clearly common sense, and the Sikorsky is pretty much certain to never have enough docs available to allow judges to score every last detail and consequently allocate a high static score.

That being the case, the only thing you really have to decide is accepting it will never score highly in static simply because however nicely you build it, there isn’t enough detailed evidence of the full size for the judges to compare the model with, do you still want one!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 94

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

All wise words, Graham; thanks!

One more S-16ser pic in the book, which I somehow didn't register as being of the right aircraft. It's a useful shot for modeling the cowl and all the front end detail...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sikorsky S-16 on skis
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »

Pete,

Looks like you’re up for this! Let me know if you don’t hear from Radek.

Just looked back at my last post and cringed at how obvious and patronising i sounded: sorry mate: looking forward to the build!   Grin Wink
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »

You can stop cringing, Graham- I didn't read it as patronising in the slightest; just sound advice as usual, which is what I was asking for.
But now you've got me worried that my "Wise words, Graham" response came across as sarcastic (it wasn't!)
 Grin  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »

Anyway, moving swiftly on...
I'm getting more committed to this build having spent rather too much on Russian aviation and Sikorsky books. I always get a bit carried away in this respect. The upshot is that I now have precisely zero more S-16 photos that I didn't have already but do have a lot more photos of other interesting aircraft. One of the books I got is the one pictured, which is part of a series. The Sikorsky colour profile in it is based on the previously mentioned wreck picture, so not very useful to me, but there are many other potential future projects in its pages, including various Moranes and about a gazzilion Nieuports in Russian colours- each colour scheme backed up with photo evidence. I realised after purchasing that I could have previewed every page of the book (and the others in the series) on Youtube: https://youtu.be/5_TC8A-Xt2w

Meanwhile, I've now heard back from the Peanut on the Runway guys so my Gregovsky plan should be here soon (and all being well I won't need your back up copy, Graham, but thanks again for the offer).

I still like the look of it on skis more than on 4 wheels, so may still do it that way and hang the static judging consequence. Plenty of time to decide.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »

Well, with lots of recent talk about building simple, light models for open rubber contests I think I may have to think again with this.
I do think it could be a simple, lightly built model but there is no getting away from the lack of photo evidence. I don't think I want to spend the time on it just to get it flying well but take a big static mark hit for a chopped off wingtip pic. I needed at least 3 uncropped pictures but, as already mentioned, these are only these two photos showing the complete aircraft of the S-16 version on the Radek Gregovsky plan I was going to use (the S-16ser). This version not only has ailerons, but also a significantly shorter lower wing and so is really a different aircraft to all the other non-cropped S-16s pics I've found. Of course I could modify the plan to build the one with equal span wings, but even then the photo evidence is a bit lacking, and I don't like that one quite as much anyway. Always been a sucker for anything tending towards a sesquiplane!
I might still come back to it if more photos ever surface (or if the documentation rules change!). More likely I'll just build it for fun at some point but meanwhile I'm already plotting an alternative open rubber project!

Many thanks for all the help on this so far though- especially Graham. And if anyone does find any more full photos of a Sikorsky S-16ser I'd love to see them!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »

It is slightly maddening, because as front and side view photos go, the two pics I have got are pretty good. If the fellow who took this one had only done the decent thing and climbed the hangar roof and got a full shot from above, I'd have been laughing.
Mefot
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »

I think it will be a real shame if you abandon this project Peter, although under the current, and more than likely, future rules, I can see why. Short of spending a lifetime searching through Russian photo archives it's difficult to know where any more information might come from.
A couple of long shots may help. The first being a list of references that may be difficult but not impossible to find. They may, of course be of no use when you do find them !!! Scroll to the bottom of the page for the list.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Master_Club_1_48_Sikorsky_S-16.php

The other option may be to try and contact the few plastic kit manufacturers who may have a few photos that aren't available on the interweb.

I really wish I could be of more help as I was looking forward to this build  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:58 PM »

Thanks, Mefot. I'd already found that page and list of references, and have found downloadable online versions of some of the sources quoted too. Always seem to get the same old few photos coming up though. The museums I contacted all drew blanks as well, although I did get some apologetic replies.

However I had not thought of contacting plastic kit manufacturers for photos, so thanks for that idea. A long shot certainly, but maybe worth a go. Considering the dearth of photographs it's quite surprising just how many kits, illustrations and colour profiles there are of this marque of the aircraft. Then again, I've noticed with plastic kits generally that real photos of the exact box art example are often hard to come by.
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:39 PM »

If the fellow who took this one had only done the decent thing and climbed the hangar roof and got a full shot from above, I'd have been laughing.

Just what I did while documenting a future project...took a selfie on an extension ladder

_shadow_
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »

Gents,

First, i apologize as this is out of topic.

I was trying to buy Radek Gregovsky's plans from www.sfa-models.com but that site doesn't seem to be accessible, may i know where can i purchase his plans?

I found his Facebook page but he doesn't sell plans there.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:30:05 PM by _shadow_ » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »

Shadow, use the 'Peanut on the Runway' email address given here...
http://www.smallflyingarts.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=65&p=497&hilit=Peanut+on+the+runway#p497
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »

You may have already tried this resource, but Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome how has all the assets of World War One Aeroplanes and Skyways.

Their website is:  https://oldrhinebeck.org/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: