Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 01:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nose block  (Read 429 times)
dogone
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »

I enjoy reading plans.  I can not help but notice the number of plans laminating sheet material to build the nose block.  I assumed it was an expedient when kitting a model. I've seem always to have thick enough material to form a nose block without laminating. Please set me strait.

dog:acquired during USN stint   63-67
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »

Laminating not required if you have a thick enough block.  One advantage however is that if you laminate cross-grain the block is stronger.
dogone
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »

Thanks for your comment. 

PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »

As flydean1 noted, a nice advantage to using a laminated nose block is the added strength when the Lamentations are cross grained. Another advantage is you can use less material. Depending on the plan or how much work you want to do when drawing your own plan, the laminations can  be made sequentially smaller to approximate the nose block profile. This reduces waste when shaping the nose block. The effort required to shape the nose block can also be reduced. When using a laminated nose block I like to have a prop shaft clearance hole in each lamination. I can then use a dowel to align each lamination layer.

Paul Bradley
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:00:27 PM »

"Lamentations are cross grained."

Paul, is that what happens when you snag a boomer thermal and realize you forgot to light the fuse or trip the timer? Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy

DanBerry will surely have a comment.
dogone
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:00:17 AM »

Paul all good points, I have a desire to utilize my collection in my scrap boxes.
 Here is another question.  I been using Aero-gloss on these lightly framed structures.  I remember a drop of caster oil
and thinning should help. Any other suggestion will be welcomed.

Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:35:33 AM »

Just back to the nose block thing, there are a couple of other advantages, as well as the very good answer that Paul gave.

Block wood is often pretty soft, laminating say 1/16” thick pieces means that you can use the hardest wood in your stock, as let’s face it more often than not you will need the noseweight, and it is less likely to get dinked or deformed etc.

If the parts are laser cut then the burn marks on the edges serve as an excellent guide to sanding, and maintaining the profile.  If not laser cut you can achieve the same useful effect by marking the edges of the parts with a pen...

Andrew

Klunk
dogone
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:18:58 AM »

Thanks Andrew  I glad that I posted nose block.  The advantages and disadvantages are really giving me some food for thought.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: