Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2018, 02:34:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first F1D  (Read 207 times)
Skymon
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »

OK here it is, a documented journey through an F1D build.
This is a little different to the usual 'how to' threads.
I have no previous experience building one of these planes, so I've not got anything to 'teach'.
You can watch me struggle through the buid, learn new processes, make mistakes, get stuck, try again, etc.
Hopefully the thread will prove to be an inspiration to anyone else who feels like giving these planes a go.

So initial steps.
I downloaded a bunch of plans, there are a lot out there. INAV, F1D blog and HPA are good places to look.
I did a big table of the dimensions of the plane and the wood and tried to work out if there was a pattern or a formula.
There isn't really.

Wings are constrained by the max dimensions and fuselages tend to be about 750mm long.

In the end I decided to follow a published plan from Ivan Treger.
It has a world record and it looks nice and clean in it's lines.

I looked up the wood and ordered it from Nick Aikman.
Then I set about working out what other parts I need:

Here's the initial steps in my kitchen while I cook the weekend breakfast.

Pic 1 is the plans in A3 and A4 and the wood. I listed the weird stuff like boron, carbon and tungsten wire.
Pic 2 shows me testing the boom wood in a pretty rudimentary manner.
Pic 3 shows the Motorstick wood - I had two pieces that are almost exactly identical, very nice.
then the plan itself.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My first F1D
My first F1D
My first F1D
My first F1D
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »

Hi Skymon !  You are INSPIRING ME ...      I am looking forward to following your first F1d build, as I have never built one - but I have seen the flights and they are pretty hypnotizing !     Shocked  Shocked     And thank you for this invitation "You can watch me struggle through the buid, learn new processes, make mistakes, get stuck, try again, etc."   Cheesy  LOL  - I will do just that.   Thank you again,  I will be following this one.   Thanks for posting everything in your build.  It will be great to follow.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
ffadict
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »

Dito on the inspiration Skymon. I am slowly working my way through the mini-quark after seeing your build.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:50:40 PM by ffadict » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: