Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:42:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Wright Stuff trial event for Div. B or C?  (Read 4144 times)
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »

Lee, yup, that's pretty much it. I coached (rubber-powered) Wright Stuff at my son's middle school last season, and learned a whole lot. Meaning, I started while not knowing nearly enough to do a good job. Thankfully we survived anyway ;-) , and the WS team even came in 7th at our state tournament this year. The kids seemed to have a pretty good time, and (I hope) learned a lot too. I guess we'll find out when we see how many come back for next year's WS event (if SO has one for middle schools next year). All the kids on the team were 6th and 7th graders, no 8th graders for some reason. So all are eligible to come back. We'll see.

I saw the (Div. C) trial event EWS at State after our Div. B WS event was over, and was astounded at how little most of the teams (students and coaches both) knew about electric motors, capacitors etc., as well as airframes and flying. Since I spent most of my misbegotten youth building and flying model planes, and trained in college on Aerospace and Electrical engineering, I knew something about them, so decided to learn all I could about EWS-type planes and drive systems, just so I wouldn't wind up looking cross-eyed as often as I did last season.

Designed the test set so that (a) Any future team where I was a coach or parent, could do useful tests and learn some of the things I lacked, and (b) so that it could eventually become a wind tunnel, both for motor/propeller systems, and for complete full-size airframes at their normal flying speeds, something I wish I had had last season with my WS team.

Presently I don't know how likely it is for SO to have either a WS or EWS event next season. Their summer workshop schedule had mentioned EWS, but that was quietly changed to WS for Div. C only. I hope they change their minds, but we'll see. A wind tunnel would be VERY useful for both WS and EWS events.

The SO summer workshop schedule can be found here. It hasn't changed since March 2018 that I know of. But I hope it does change soon, to accommodate EWS as well as WS.

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/files/uploaded_files/2018_Schedule_032618.pdf
JasperKota
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »

I am almost completely sure that EWS/WS will be a Division C event only, as they always do 2-year rotations, and this year was the 2nd year that WS was division B, and the 2nd for Helicopters in Div. C, but again everything is tentative as of now. If the high school in your area starts with 9th grade though, your kids will likely have a chance to participate in WS again.

Personally I'm hoping for regular Wright Stuff, and it seems like the committee leaning towards that but hopefully anyone who goes to the coach's meeting can give us more information then. I do wonder if it will be more competitive next year, considering many of the Division B kids who previously competed in WS will likely be in Division C next year (myself included  Smiley). I don't know the reasoning behind the committee's decision to remove ELG from the rotation, as I think that probably evened the playing field since it would be more likely for everyone to be inexperienced.
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »

JasperKota, personally I'm favoring EWS. But maybe that's because I've never been in it. The novelty is fun, and an electric-powered plane sounds elegant, regardless of wide tolerances in capacitors.

My son will by in 7th grade next season, but is not interested in flying things. In sharp contrast to myself, I couldn't get enough of them when I was his age. If Div. B has neither WS nor EWS, I might volunteer to coach at the local high school, if they have either one, and don't mind an old fat man hanging around.
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »

When you build a test set, you just have to start playing with it.  Grin  At least I do.

Tested three different configurations.

First one is called "Vapor", has a Vapor prop, mini-Vapor motor, and Ember gearbox. See the "Data" image below for details.
Second one is called "Mini-Vapor". Replaced the prop with a slightly smaller and flatter Mini Vapor prop, all else is the same.
Third one is called "Quad". Used a motor and direct-drive propeller from a fairly small, cheap, dead quadcopter.

Ran the same tests on all three, measuring current, thrust, and voltage at the motor while a long, skinny 5F 3V AVX capacitor discharged from 3V into them.

Eventually I want to such measurements on a LOT of different motor/gearbox/propeller combinations, for comparative purposes so I can start judging which combo is better for which plane etc.

Still trying to figure out what data collection is most useful for figuring out flying characteristics. I spent 4 years in college as an Aerospace Engineering student, would hate to think I wasted it all.

Eventually I also want to put the test set in a shroud, with a big but slow fan and a flow straightener at one end, to make a wind tunnel. Hopefully big enough to put an entire WS plane into, to test it at its normal flying speed.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Electric Wright Stuff trial event for Div. B or C?
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2018, 07:20:44 PM »

Rebuilt the test set, put it on a narrower board and mounted the motor/prop on a pivoting arm on a scale (resolution: 0.01 grams) so it can measure thrust. Top scale measures thrust/drag, the scale beneath it will measure lift/weight when it becomes a wind tunnel with a plane mounted on it.

All three meters now have independent power supplies (three 9V batteries on the right).

Moved the controls to the front. Right switch lights up the LEDs in the meters, left switch controls the motor. At the upper right is the capacitor that's discharging into the motor. At upper middle is the 0.1 Ohm resistor that measures current. At bottom are (another) quadcopter motor and prop, the Vapor propeller, and the Mini Vapor propeller-gearbox-motor. Bottom right is the "clothespin" and two D cells to charge the capacitors. The scraggly wires on the far right are for a variable-voltage 5A regulated power supply, not built yet, for steady-state testing.

Here the quadcopter motor/prop is still mounted on the arm, it's running, capacitor is half discharged, and the test set is doing its thing.
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »

Possibly the most useful info to come from this test set. I tested eight different combinations of propeller, gearbox, and motor; and measured the thrust (in still air) from each. Powered by a capacitor typical of those that might be used in a competition: Marked 5F, 3V. But tests showed its actual capacitance was 5.11F. It was capacitor #00 in previous tests.

The capacitor's voltage drops as it discharges, of course. So the propeller slows down and the thrust drops too. I recharged the cap to 3.1V before each run. As soon as I hit the switch, the cap started discharging, prop began spinning up, and voltage dropping. After a few seconds, it reached (mostly) steady state, and I started recording data, shown on the graph.

Question I wanted to answer was, which combination would be best for an EWS competition plane?
SyLa-20871
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »

Little Acorn,

That is an interesting set of data.  Scientific data always seems to ask another question to further drive the experimentation.  At what "thrust" level is the plane no longer flying?  Once that is answered, some combinations can be eliminated.  Alternatively, the answer can be answered by brute force.  Determine which combination keeps the plane flying the longest.  You will need a good time keeper to start/stop the time when you push GO.  After a few trials, it may(?) become apparent where the lower end of flyable thrust is.

A second question:  Does an initial high thrust overcome the early (faster) depletion of charge thus dropping below the flyable thrust threshold to maintain a longer flight?

Regards,
Lee
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »

At what "thrust" level is the plane no longer flying?
Actually not so hard to get a pretty close answer to. Weigh the plane, then glide it. Measure how far forward it went, and how much altitude it lost before touching down in a flat, smooth glide. Multiply the weight by the altitude lost, and then divide it by the distance forward. The result is the amount of thrust it would take to make the plane fly straight and level at that speed and configuration.

You might do this with the propeller mounted and not turning. Then do it again with the propeller removed and a small weight installed in its place, so the balance and weight don't change.

Hard to tell if the prop blades dragging in the air, would produce extra drag that the flying (powered) plane wouldn't have. So try it with and without.

As for quick climbs with more powerful motors that run the capacitor down sooner, a quick climb might simply bonk it into the ceiling sooner, so the higher altitude you might have gotten is wasted.

With my (rubber-powered) Wright Stuff team, the question always was, what was the skinniest (i.e. longest-running) rubber motor we could use that would bring the plane up to just below the ceiling, and then let it fly level the longest and then glide the shallowest?

Sounds like time for experimentation to me!  Grin  
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 01:54:48 AM »

I just found out that Electric Wright Stuff will be a Trial Event at the southern Calif State Science Olympiad tournament at Caltech in Pasadena CA, to be held on April 6, 2019.

Yep, some 3 weeks from now.

It will be Div. B this year (Middle Schools). Last year's EWS Trial Event was for Div. C (High Schools). Rules can be found at http://socalscioly.org/downloads/Electric%20Wright%20Stuff%20B%202019.pdf if the link works.

Min weight = 7 grams including motor, prop. gearbox in any, and capacitor.
Max wing size = 40cm x 10cm
Max stabilizer size = 20cm x 7cm
Max propeller diameter = 14cm
Max capacitor values = 5F, 3V. I assume this means labeled values. I've measures some of these, actual values often come out higher. Data sheets for these capacitors often list capacitance tolerances up to 30% higher.

Sorry Wright Stuff flyers, you can't just pop a motor and capacitor onto this season's Ziegler plane.

I'm very happy to see the re-introduction of EWS, though I'm appalled at the (relatively) tiny amount of time teams would have to design, build, and test fly capacitor-powered planes.

Time to dig out those AVX capacitors from last May, dust off the test set, and replace the batteries. And maybe borrow a wing and tail from my (rubber-powered Wright Stuff) Coach's plane from last year.

I'm sure this will re-ignite the complaints about the wide tolerances of capacitors, for example a capacitor labeled as 5F could actually deliver 6.5F and still be within spec.
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »

Just had a look at the datasheet for the AVX 5F 3V caps. Digi-key is selling them, as they were last year.

Biggest surprise here is that, while the tolerances for the ones Digi-key was selling last year were -10% to +30%, now the tolerances for this year's batch are 0% to +100%.

Holy shiite. Means that if you buy a cap labeled 5F 3V, you might get one that has a capacitance of 10F, and still be within the manufacturer's spec!

They seem to be available in the same physical sizes as last year. I wonder if the short, fat ones are the ones with the incredible capacitances (or lousy QC standards)?
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

The original capacitor powered plane for Science Olympiad by Chuck Markos is posted in the Plans Section. This original SO proposal permitted the use of a 10-farad capacitor.

This design is still quite good and I flew my Markos plane only for recreational flights on Wed, 3/13/2019 for five consecutive flights for times of 2:05-2:15. Disclaimer, East Tennessee State U was on spring break and the Johnson City, TN Mini-Dome was almost empty. I was also lucky not to hang up on speakers and other high objects that I hit.

These flights in a large site with 10-F caps are not representative of typical SO situations. I have heard nothing to indicate that the TN State SO will have this trial event.

In the HPA Plans Section:

Capacitor-Powered FF and Science Olympiad (frash)
Miscellaneous Articles

Date added: 04.19.2017 19:56
Comments: 1
Downloads: 221
SoCal-SciOly-Dad
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:44 AM »

Little-Acorn,

Thank you for your excellent contributions to the community with this thread.  We recently were informed by the ScyOly head coaches of our middle school about this trial event at the SoCal State competition on April 6.  This is a tight timeline!  We are working on locating an existing plane from last year that we can help our two sixth graders convert to electric drive.  Your posts will be helpful.  We plan to share what we learn on this thread as well.

Best regards,
SoCal-SciOly-Dad
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »

A couple pics of the vanilla airframe we cobbled together in the last few days for the EWS Trial Event at Caltech (SoCal State Science Olympiad tourament) on April 6.

At first made it a pusher, with the propeller just behind the trailing edge of the wing, 21" long fuselage (3/16" x 3/16", 7PCF balsa), capacitor an inch forward of the leading edge. It was astonishingly tailheavy. Moved the capacitor all the way forward to just behind the front stabilizer, it was STILL tailheavy. And weighed 10.6 grams, without the long wires needed to connect the capacitor to the motor. With 2-1/2 weeks before the tournament, made an executive decision to abandon the pusher configuration and make it a tractor.

Started the tractor with the wing and capacitor about an inch behind where you see them here. It was a little noseheavy. Glided in a nose-down attitude. Moved the wing and cap forward about an inch, the result is what you see here. It glides flat and smooth, not bad at all. Most parts are presently held on with rubber bands, including motor and capacitor, that will change when we start powering it. This was just for glide tests. Nice to know we have a viable airplane. Fuselage of the tractor is 1/8" x 3/16", plane weighs in at 9.8 grams.

We'll have to try hard not to hit any walls (or floors in a vertical attitude), those will trash the gearbox and maybe motor.

* Ember gearbox, 0.58 grams
* Vapor motor, 1.94 grams with short leads and single-plug-lead pigtails
* 140mm prop. I think from Vapor, 1.14 grams
* Capacitor is AVX SCCS20E505SRB 5F 3V, -10% +30%, 2.19 grams
* Wing is 40cm x 10cm, 1.47 grams
* Stab is 20cm x 7cm, 0.70 grams
* Fin is 0.32 grams
* Fuselage is (now) 1/8" x 3/16" x 20.5" balsa, 0.97 grams
* Covering is produce bag from nearby grocery store, 0.549 grams/sq.ft., tougher than a nickel steak

With the motor, gbox, prop, and capacitor alone weighing in at 5.85 grams (without an airplane attached), bringing the all-up flying weight of the plane in at 7 grams or below, is something I don't know how to do. Present tractor plane weighs in at 9.8 grams, will probably get to 10 before we're done. Hmm. Maybe use a Mini Vapor motor and prop? Would that have enough power to fly? Can't reduce the capacitor, it's the fuel tank, wrong move in an endurance contest.

Just got in some AVX caps (5F, 3V) with tolerances (datasheet) of -0% to +100%(!!) Will test them for actual measured capacitance. Should be a roller coaster ride.

Using the produce bag because we don't have the time to keep repairing Ultrafilm (0.204 grams/sq.ft.). The produce bag is tough as nails and still very light.

Note to self: Put some shrink tubing on those motor wires before they start a fire.

First powered tests this week or weekend. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:55:03 PM by Little-Acorn » Logged
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:03 AM »

Little-Acorn -

Nice report.

Keep us posted on how she flies.

Perhaps you could post a link to a YouTube video of one of your test flights.

Thanks.
SyLa-20871
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »

Little-Acorn,

That is a nice looking plane.  Thanks for sharing and good luck!  As calgoddard mentioned, I would love to see a video of your flights.

Best,
Lee
strat-o
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »

Little-Acorn, I'm learning how to make super-capacitors.  When you make them yourself you can pick and choose which materials to use for weight suitability and also sizing.  I believe it's feasible to create a super capacitor with about 10F with only 2 sq cm in the typical paired layer format (flat, not rolled).  You can probably make one having 7F for maybe 0.5 g.  It's not going to have the fancy aluminum canister unless you decide to do it that way.  It will be more of a flexible flat package with two leads coming out.  Making them does involve some study but the cool thing is the materials are non-hazardous.  Mainly variations of carbons, graphites and graphenes and relatively safe salt-based electrolytes.

Strat-O
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »

Wow, Strat-o, I've never even considered making my own supercap. I know nothing about the chemistry and geometry that goes into them, but assumed (there's that word again) that it involved microscopic dimensions and really tight rolling of the layers, or something. Since they've only been around the last dozen years or so, I figured they were exotic somehow.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
strat-o
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »

Well there are microscopic dimensions but that is actually inherent in the starting material.  For example, a good starting material is activated carbon commonly used for filtration in fish tanks.  This material has an incredible amount of surface area which makes it quite suitable for super capacitors.  You simply grind it up, make an ink out of it, and coat it on a foil electrode.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: