Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2018, 09:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kit Scale 2019 Models  (Read 7489 times)
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2018, 07:58:34 PM »

John,
        Thank you for that clarification because we can now piggy back this into our rules. It may save us a difficult situation from those who want to push the boundaries.
 We use the same rules for outdoor kit scale so it has even more relavance.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 92

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »

Pete, KS rules say to provide the original plan for documentation - some of the 'Replikit' and 'Physics of Flight' kits just used blown up original KK (or other) plans, with no wood sizes altered and no manufacturers printed block, or stamp.  So you cannot identify that it was offered as a kit with just the plan (now at 150% size).
Some were altered and stamped up with the new manufacturers name.

So to prevent any issues for the poor hard pressed KS judges, the competitor has to provide additional proof that it actually was kitted at 150% size.
This can take the form of the kit box, an advert, a web page or a statement from the manufacturer, as long as it is proper proof.
If the drawing is re-dimensioned with Replikit or VMC etc. also on it, then clearly that is OK just with the plan.

Thanks again, John. I know you have far better things to do than coming on here explaining every last detail of the KS rules, but I for one am now super clear on this whole issue. I suppose I really ought to enter a 150% kit build now if only to justify all the trouble you've gone to!

(With previous queries on whether lozenge pattern tissue can be printed off from CDs provided with the kit, and also the matter of how ski u/cs are judged, I'm a bit worried I'm getting a reputation as the awkward s*d of Kit Scale! I'm not doing it on purpose though!)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:53 AM »

Where would we all be Pete if no-one ever leaned against the boundaries?!  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2018, 04:06:09 AM »

Where would we all be Pete if no-one ever leaned against the boundaries?!  Grin

Well, depending on one's view I suppose the answer is either...

"In a nice sunny Garden of Eden with no worries at all."

Or

"Shivering in a cave with no means to catch or cook the mammoths right outside our door."
Free Flight Modeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2018, 04:11:00 AM »

Oi, there's nothing wrong with my cave!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2018, 04:14:19 AM »

Nor mine, Russ. I'm not one to push boundaries for the sake of it. As Sheldon Cooper said, "It's called a comfort zone for a reason!"  Cheesy
Free Flight Modeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:49 AM »

Grin .... everyone should live their lives like Sheldon.
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:02 AM »

Ricky
You're welcome mate, glad it will be helpful.

Jon(Jack Plane)
Where would we all be Pete if no-one ever leaned against the boundaries?!
Well I for one wouldn't have spent 7.5 hours driving and 8 hours on Saturday in an STC meeting.
The STC needs some new volunteers Jon.............................

John M
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2018, 05:49:47 AM »

I can relate to that John. Our FFand Control line SIG has been the same for over 30 years. We reguarly offer to step down but there are not enough of us inany othe rplace to take over. The downside of being a small nation.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »

Thanks again, John. Your hours sacrificed to the cause are much appreciated!
Here's a list of the Replikit 150-percenters, gleaned from pages 7 and 8 of a Replikit catalogue found on the ever-useful RCgroups site here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=2502564

REPLIKIT 150 SERIES
Veron
Luscombe Sedan
Auster AOP 9
Chipmunk
Fokker D8
Hawker Fury
Hurricane
Tiger Moth
Keil Kraft
Mustang
Percival Provost
Seamew
Focke Wulf 190
Tempest

I think I'll probably do the KK Provost myself, which looks a bit woody in the original dimensions but would be a nice model at this bigger size. This 'bigger size', in most of these cases, is about 27" span. Replikit no longer exists of course, but some (not all) of these large versions are still marketed by VMC, available from them both as kits or just plans.
Free Flight Modeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2018, 01:55:48 PM »

I was going to say that I hope that someone makes one of these models after the efforts made ... Pete’s post beats me to it.
I will add to this by trying to get one of these models made.
I’ve mentioned my childhood visits to the Auster/Taylorcraft factory airfield before .... and it being the first aircraft my dad flew in ... so I’ll commit myself to this from the off!
Not even looked at the kit yet!
vintagemike
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »

Hi Pete, just to muddy the water a bit with your Replikit list I bought an FW190 kit off Fleabay about a year ago. This one had one of the previous range of kits in it, the ones that Doug McHard was chasing about for in the 1990,s. It was detailed on the listing as such (that's why I bought it) so did replikit do the others (Tempest, Typhoon, Spitfire, Zero are ones I can remember he found and built) or did I get a "cut and shut"? (I think we had reference to Arfur Daily once before didn't we?)
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »

Pete

It wasn't just myself of course - there are a number of other people who willingly give their time, Mike Stuart and Andy Sephton to name just two others.

Ricky

Yes it seems to be a problem not just in modelling (trying to get people onto a committee) we have the same issues in the classic car and bike clubs I know.

John M
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »

Seems fair enough.  If you want to enter KS then you entry has to be a model that was kitted - be it an original or a rehash subsequently at a different size that was kitted.  And it is for you to demonstrate that it was kitted at whatever size you have chosen to build it.  So nothing really has changed much has it?  Clearly it is prudent to ensure that your evidence that it was kitted is sound.  And that again is up to you so don’t squeak if the Judges (who must have the final say) are not happy. But then no one does do they.  I wonder what it is that makes our band so agreeable?b
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2018, 03:38:42 AM »

Been making good progress with the Scout recently - including completely new wings with neater under-cambered ribs.  I've also made peace with the few minor disconnects between the rules and how I want my Scout to look (and what I don't want to re-do again!) and the net result is a model that is close to strictly compliant if not completely so.  But I hope it'll have plenty of 'character' to compensate... and I bloody well hope it'll fly nicely!   Shocked

Piccie below of Perry (Neville's cousin on his mum's side) after first stage carving.  Not yet decided what colour scarf he'll be wearing on the day...  Grin

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Kit Scale 2019 Models
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »

Skin and roundels on.  Have since added weight (aluminium coloured acrylic paint) and some inked pretend-details in the cowl area, and made a forward-firing Vickers gun for Perry after I found a B&W photo of a synchronised setup.

Did think about entering this for KS at Nijmegen, but even if its completed by next week it won't have ever flown, so I'm playing safe and have my now banished Camel entered instead.  But I'll take the Scout along anyway - just to see how it flies!  Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »

Nice.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »

Very neat covering on the Bristol.

John
Squirrelnet
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

Scout is looking great Jon, good luck with the trimming

Chris
Free Flight Modeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2018, 03:49:43 AM »

That's looking great Jon  Smiley

Is that Perry Stalsis? I've heard that some found his antics hard to swallow .....
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2018, 04:01:13 AM »

Cheers guys.  The covering is by no means perfect, especially as I had to use dope on the under-cambered ribs but combined this with UHU/PVA for the wing outlines (should have stuck to dope all round?), but the overall impression is all right and there are no obvious warps.  Roundels etc are my usual doped tissue which, despite being less crisp and cunning than shiny decals, seem to give the model an overall coherence in terms of texture.

As I said earlier, I've bottled entering the Scout into KS at Nijmegen next week although I'm aiming to complete it in time and take it along to test fly if I get the chance.  Will post a few more pics once it is all assembled and rigged and with Perry painted and strapped in.

The VMC Camel is my official entry, which, although in the end did alright at the Nats, still has unfinished business in Holland........!  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2018, 04:03:59 AM »

That's looking great Jon  Smiley

Is that Perry Stalsis? I've heard that some found his antics hard to swallow .....

Yes, that's the chap!  His excuse is that it's all caused by the excessive castor oil thrown out by his rotary engine....  Cheesy
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2018, 05:26:38 AM »

Agree with the others; the Scout’s looking lovely, Jon. Your models definitely have a certain finish and ‘look’ to them that adds a lot to their overall impression. I think they may even capture the elusive kit scale ‘character’ points!

Good luck with the Camel at Nijmegen. ‘Unfinished business’ as you say!
My top tip for Neville this time: avoid sneaky extra test flights unless you’re SURE the sky is clear. You don’t want to spark an international incident!  Grin
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2018, 06:03:05 AM »

Shocked OMG no international incidents!!  Shocked
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2018, 06:19:17 AM »

After breaking all the wings off the big Blackburn Shark at Oxford a few weeks ago I needed a new kit scale entry for Nijmegen.  I decided to do a quick build of the VMC Cessna Bird Dog.  The quality was well up to the expected standard, and it was a breeze to build - everything fitted perfectly and the laser cutting was a real time saver.  I didn't change anything on the design except filling in between stringers with soft balsa in front of the windshield and replacing the paper patterns for the window frames and the panel above the wing centre section with 10 thou plastic card.  Two reasons for this – firstly with an airbrushed finish, plastic card gives a smoother finish than paper and secondly I wanted to attach the glazing with Formula 560 canopy glue, and this water-based adhesive would have caused local swelling of the paper.  The airbrushed finish will lose me a few points in static judging, but I did it anyway.  Markings are home-made decals apart from the large U.S. ARMY titles on the wing which are cut from black painted decal sheet and applied in sections.

I couldn't resist adding a few extra details to add more character, so the avionics hump and aerial behind the cabin, some extra struts inside the cabin and the exhausts under the cowl.  The complete build took me 17 days, which is something of a record for me.

Weight is 28 grams without rubber – I’m hoping it will only require a touch of nose weight.  I will be trimming at Nijmegen - Andrew had the prototype flying superbly at the Indoor Scale Nats so I'm hoping mine will do the same.

Mike S
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: