Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2018, 03:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cuben Fiber  (Read 448 times)
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:56:22 PM »

ZPacks no longer sells cuben fiber material preferring to concentrate on manufacturing.  I bought some a few years ago from them and it worked well for the application.

Does anyone in Hip Pocket Land know of a US supplier who is currently selling .34 oz cuben fiber.

Thanks in advance.
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »

Solved my own problem.  Did an extensive web search.   Found a few suppliers.  One only wanted to sell large lots.  A couple did not have the very lightest .34 oz./yd. material.  Found a great source called Rip-Stop By the roll.

They sell 54 inch wide by as little as 1/2 linear yard.  Very quick shipping via US Priority Mail.  Reasonable price.  Highly recommend them as a source.  Originally they were out of stock but notified me via email a week or so later that they had re-stocked.

This is more properly called Dyneema Composite Fabric.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:58 AM »

What is this fiber and what do you use it for?

The Threadkiller!
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »

It's a covering fabric.  Only slightly heavier than 1/4 mil mylar, but much stronger, especially in puncture resistance. 

Use it like mylar as a main covering, or under tissue.  The fiber has a definite visible grid which I use on the bias---45 deg angle. to impart some torsional stiffness.

It doesn't shrink much so you can't do compound curves surfaces very easily.  It must be pretty well wrinkle free before heat shrinking.

Attach with Velcro cement thinned with MEK (shudder!), using a covering iron at 100C.  Move to 180C and keep iron moving fast to shrink, what little it will do.

Google Dyneema Composite Fabric for more detail.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »

I doubt I will ever venture into this area, but...

Is this similar to Ikarex?

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
flydean1
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »

Much lighter.  More like Mylar.  Use it on rubber up to coupes.  Tails, etc.  I did cover my 1/2A Satellite with it with tissue over it on the leading edge forward of the main spar.  No flutter so far.  If it does, I will tissue the remainder of the wing.
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

That's a very useful information, flydean, thanks!

0,34oz/sqyard is lighter than the Icarex I found over here. And Ripstopbytheroll seems to sell all over the world  Grin Grin
How does the surface feel? Slightly rough as a normal cloth or smooth as mylar?

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

would you try it on something like a Sparky?

The Threadkiller!
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »

Cuben fiber is a Mylar substrate with Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) fiber monofilaments at semi random patterns bonded to the surface of the Mylar. It is not easy to work with. It barely shrinks. So you have to try to get it very tight and wrinkle free before you try to shrink it. Whilst the fiber on the surface is very tough, the Mylar substrate is delicate and can be punctured just like light Mylar. I tried it on F1B stabilizers and F1G wings. I've gone back to just Mylar as the extra pain to apply it wasn't worth any perceived advantages. I've seen BG use it on a Gollywock fuselage applied at 45 degrees. I think it added some stiffness beyond what ordinary Mylar would. There was a flurry of interest in the stuff about 5 or 6 years ago but I rarely see it used now.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »

From what I collected as information this Dyneema Composite Fabric has straight fibres at 90° as a normal cloth. Difference is that the fibres are not woven but "welded" together by high pressure. From that the name composite fabric.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: