Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2018, 06:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scram or Pinnochio?  (Read 620 times)
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:53:51 AM »

Construction differences aside, which of the two Laurie Barr designs do we think is the best performer?

Gary
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 06:04:28 AM »

Hi Gary

I would pick the Scram every time, but I've got one Cheesy What I would say is they are better to build without the struts - my opinion anyway!

Cheers

Peter
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »

Hi All,

Does the Scram have a 28" flat span wing span? I ask because I have to scale up the plan on Outerzone in AutoCAD to true scale. Thanks
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »

Peter, does it need the 'J O'D' turbulator?!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »

Bill, I'd forgotten about that! It was one 'modification' he didn't get away with!

Peter
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »

I fly the Scram "as is" and it flies really well...use the airfoil as shown in Laurie's article in Sam35 Speaks and don't forget to light the D/T because I lost mine last Monday testing on my small field...it likes to bump up in a slight stall in lift...I was a little skeptical about the prop hanger (and my soldering skills) but it works really well and I was under-powering it early on...and it looks SO COOL!!!!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 260

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »

>   It was one 'modification' he didn't get away with

He never, ever,  forgave me for that disqualification !!!
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »

I found that a 10mm wide strip of heavyweight modelspan right on the leading edge (and the same colour as the local jap tissue!) worked just fine...
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

Hi Gary

Have you decided which one to build yet?

Peter
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »

Build both.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »

>   It was one 'modification' he didn't get away with

He never, ever,  forgave me for that disqualification !!!

I remember when this was hot news-in the aftermath-and several years later- I wrote to Laurie Barr asking his thoughts as I was underway with building a Pinnochio-(the tattered remnants of which are still in a box somewhere!) -I received a nicely worded handwritten reply to the effect that at the time these lightweights were designed, and being built in abundance, people were experimenting with turbulators, and he had himself used them on occasion to sort out a 'difficult' model-but not as a matter of course.  I found the Pinnochio if built to the plan to be an absolute shocker for bunching at the rear peg-the fuselage is far too narrow for comfort at that point-and never really persevered with it.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »

I'm going to go for the scram I think...I'm in the middle of building a couple of models for a friend, an 80" Playboy old timer and a Kwikfli III. Both RC and taking up all my bench space...then I need to do the metal work on my two vintage coupes....and I've just finished a Vic Smeed 'pulstar' for single channel to be sent to the UK for the Pontefract retro 'do'....busy, busy.....I don't know how I found the time when I was working!
Gary
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »

I got the Scram back from it's time spent in tall tree. The only thing I hard to do was build a new stab and fins and a few patches. Will give it a go sometime this week and see what happens. I wound up using 8 x 3/16" hanging out about 4" from the nose.  A first I wasn't sure if the structure was strong enough but this did improve the climb a lot and I have a little more faith in that prop. My soldering isn't that great but it seemed to work. Laurie certainly knew his beans because that prop is so simple I'm surprised  no one else has used the idea. Of course, single blade folders aren't every ones cup of tea but if you have built a Hepcat or Skyrocket, you know what I'm talking about. One tip I'll pass along: I secure the prop blade with a small piece of plastic insulation from a electrical wire. Buy several sizes and experiment. I add a dab of cyno just to be sure. And do use bamboo dowels for wing tie downs along the rails to find the right CG and glide setting because it saves time and weight. The only problem I found with the design is getting a good pop up stab arrangement with that slim tail. I'm tempted to send a pic of the rear end but it is getting rather tatty but works. Please let me know how yours fly's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: