Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2018, 04:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old mint FOX-19 fuel question  (Read 308 times)
A4S4EVR
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »

Yes, an old man but a newbie here.
50 years ago I flew control line.
Have a like new Fox-19 on a Ringmaster Jr.
What %Nitro is best? Any links covering the subject?
Have Tower 10% on hand but afraid to use it not knowing if it may cause damage, etc.
Thanks, folks for any replies.
A4S4EVR
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »

If it is a baffle engine, no ball bearings, the engine runs well on zero to 25% nitro, 15% being best for sport.

The critical issue is the oil. She NEEDS castor oil and a lot of it, 25% to 28% oil content by volume. This is an old lapped iron P&L! I know of no fuel blender today that mixes this fuel. You will most likely need to add caster to bring up the oil content. After the motor is broken in you might get away with 20% castor oil. Actually she will run better of the 20% castor fuel. Do not run with the 16% to 18% oil blends common today.

If she is a ball bearing Fox 19BB keep the nirto down to 15% max! Zero nitro to 5% nitro is best for this engine. Again follow the same oil restriction.

P.S.
She needs a long rich proper break in. Too Fast, too Hot, too Lean, too Soon, too BAD!

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »

Castor oil is available from Sig, I think.  Morgan Fuel of Enterprise, AL mixes all sorts of fuel and I think they have a castor/synthetic mix.  Google Morgan Fuel.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »

Castor oil is available from Sig, I think.  Morgan Fuel of Enterprise, AL mixes all sorts of fuel and I think they have a castor/synthetic mix.  Google Morgan Fuel.
I did NOT see a suitable fuel blend at Morgan.
http://www.morganfuel.com

Their Omega was a synthetic caster blend and light on lubricant for a lapped Iron and steel P&L.

Sig does sell a fuel that is close with 25% oil content and that oil is 100% castor.
https://sigmfg.com/collections/fuel/products/sig-fuel-with-castor-oil

Add another 4 table spoons of castor oil and it should be perfect to breaking in those old lap iron P&L of Duke's (Fox).
https://sigmfg.com/collections/fuel/products/sig-castor-oil

Fox recommended "Fox Super fuel" for these engines as I recall this was blend of 5% nitro and 29% castor.  It is a sure way to make scrap metal using fuel with almost half the oil content in these engines, particularly during break in of these iron and steel P&LS.

Break in not only laps the fit between the Piston and liner. But here is the key it allows for the work hardening of the cast iron piston. This change in the grain structure of the cast iron takes a bit of time and a lot of care.  It takes about 1/2 an hour to over an hour of run time for this to develop properly.

Al the best,
Konrad

Edit: to add links
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:12:58 PM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
A4S4EVR
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »

Thank you Gents for the replys and info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: