Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2018, 04:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kites!  (Read 1377 times)
mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:25 AM »

I had to reduce the original to post.
Here's the top rt hand quarter as I got it.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Kites!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 121

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »

Geez. If I didn't know better I'd accuse someone of doing some copy, drag, & paste! Grin Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
che
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »

The full gannet story.

Thanks to MF for publishing my photo, taken on Wednesday this week of the gannets around Bass Rock in the Firth of Forth, Scotland.

I'd been there before with Mrs CHE but this time, along with her sister, was a perfect day and I was astounded to see a standing thermal full of gannets. Bass Rock has THE world's largest populations of Atlantic Gannets with an estimated 150,000 of them there on that day. I suspect there were quite a few thousand in the thermal which simply didn't seem to move, and the shot shown is the best one I took to try and show the numbers involved.

Bass Rock is a volcanic plug with no human population anymore since the lighthouse went automatic many years ago and the gannet population has increased rapidly since then. If you think the photo was staged then feel free to view the webcans here :-

https://seabird.org/wildlife/webcams/12/28

CHE (aka EoB)
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »

Hello CHE, thanks for showing us - incredible (and Mike as well)!

Peter
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »

Speaking of birds one of the most amazing things I've ever seen around here are the murmurations of starlings. Now I don't like starlings as a rule because they are an invasive species but the murmurations are a site to behold.  One day I was sitting in my living room and I heard a strange sound outside. I opened the blinds and startled a huge flock of Starlings that had landed on the ground and trees in our backyard. They took off in mass with a sound that I can't describe. They circled and landed several times. The grass on the lawn disappeared when they were on the ground.  One of those moment I'll never forget!

https://vimeo.com/98351279

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »

That is a GREAT photo che and mike - great pic che!  
     Since Gannets are greedy birds,  there is a phrase in the UK and in South Africa - people devour food "like a load of Gannets".  So perhaps the correct Venery term for a colonic expurgation of Gannets would be a "load" of Gannets.
        Right on DerekMc - "Murmurations" of Starlings.  AND - what a great video ...  

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:28:46 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 121

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »

Hi CHE that was just my way of saying: Holy SH^%$#t that's a lot of birds!  Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
che
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »

Hi CHE that was just my way of saying: Holy SH^%$#t that's a lot of birds!  Roll Eyes

Indeed, the whole of Bass Rock is 'Holy SH^%$#t'; it's apparently 3' deep in most places with a most interesting aroma which you pick up from some distance away..............

CHE
mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »

Please guano further into the details.

I spotted two guys with spades on one of the webcam feeds.  Are they really doing scientific research out there or are they just going through the motions.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »

Smiley Smiley

che
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

I spotted two guys with spades on one of the webcam feeds.  Are they really doing scientific research out there or are they just going through the motions.

I'm told by an impeccable source that a well-known fast-food outlet gets some of it's basic ingredients from Bass Rock, hence the guys with spades. Obviously I can't say for legal reasons which company............... or else they'll all be at it.

CHE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: