Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 22, 2018, 03:50:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pre-shrinking help please!!!  (Read 236 times)
flygilmore
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »

So, I'm fairly new to rubber FF but not to building model planes.  I've spent the last 21yrs. in RC and have over 200 kit/scratch builds under my belt.  So, my issue I'm having is when it comes to small, 1/16" etc. square frame horizontal/vertical stabs on Embryos etc.  I'm the type that I want my Tissue (Esaki) drum tight.  Perhaps that is the wrong attitude to have.  I've had some successes in pre-shrinking the Esaki and then applying it to the tail and some where I still ended up with not really wrinkles, but tissue that wasn't as taught as I'd like.  Does anyone have any suggestions or insight as to how they handle this part of the covering process? I'm still experimenting and I know that it can be done on even the smallest of structures as I've seen it from other builders.  Thanks for any help that you can give!!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »

The first step is to be sure your structure is light and sound dimensionally. To preshrink esaki make a frame however big you need it. Then make another frame that fits just inside the first one. Now lay the tissue with grain running perfectly North/South, not biased. Gently push frame #2 into #1 with the tissue in place. Now you have a semi taught not drum taught tissue skin. Spray with water liberally and set aside for a few hours or overnight. You will now have a sheet of pre-shrunk tissue. You are never going to satisfied if you think your tissue job isn't perfect, and you may never get out to the field to fly. But you can try to improve with every job. I find that gussets help with those nasty corner wrinkles. Use best practices when covering and learn how to run the grain properly. You won't like this but I never shrink my rudders or stabs, because you can't have any warping back there. Preshrinking does help.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:42:43 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:50:07 AM »

Gilmore, I read my first un-edited reply to you and thought it was awful so I repaired it some, its ready for a re-read. It is possible to get your tissue drum tight, but you have to pay attention to the grain direction or you will get a warp. Rudders and stabs usually don't have enough structure to 'em to support all the tension, and the changing humidities will have their way, Therefore I get mine, (unless its a big plane with good structure in the empanage, then I shrink it right on the stab or rudder) wrinkle-free as possible and leave it. Sometimes I leave the tissue attached to the frame and place the stab "jelly side down" onto the tissue then trim it out. I hope this helps some. I replied because I am generally very happy with my covering.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:38:07 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: