Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 25, 2018, 03:34:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Right Thrust Questions  (Read 326 times)
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Topic starter
FAC Member

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »

All of my outdoor free flight models have right thrust - including Embryos, Jimmie Allen, OTR, P-30 and F1G.  The right thrust counteracts the substantial torque at launch.  Most outdoor rubber powered free flight models with free wheeling props are set up to fly a right-right pattern, i.e. they circle right in the power phase and glide in a right circle.  The free-wheeling action of the prop tends to induce a right turn. This is the standard approach.  Without the right thrust the model can roll hard left into the ground.  F1G models have right thrust, but many fly a right-left pattern since they have folding props.  

However, all of my indoor free flight models have left thrust - including A-6, Limited Penny Plane (LPP), No-Cal, and Embryo. They circle left in climb, cruise and descent. With indoor stick duration models like A-6 and LPP it is conventional to use about 1-3 degrees of left turn in the thrust bearing. Rudder and stab tilt are used to control the circle size. Again this is the standard approach. The circle size stays constant with my indoor duration stick and No-Cal models.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a trim flight of one of my A-6 models.  I have it set up to circle left in a very small diameter circle.  This is because I fly it in contests at a site where I can fly up to about 26 feet instead of only 22 feet if the model stays between large, closely spaced steel I-beams. In the video my A-6 is being flown in a different site that does not have the large I-beams I referenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6sdcA-fYlM&t=38s

I have had problems with my indoor Embryo and P-18 models circling nicely to the left for most of the flight, and then straightening out and flying into a wall during the descent. Rudder adjustments will not cure this problem. Ditto for stab tilt adjustments (which are unsightly on an Embryo).  

I noticed that some indoor models use right thrust and circle right. Is this done to avoid the problem I am encountering with my Embryo and P-18 models? How do you decide when an indoor model should have right thrust? I have always understood that an indoor duration stick model should circle left so that it is not "fighting" the torque of the rubber motor and therefore wasting energy.

Thanks in advance for your input.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:12:09 PM by calgoddard » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: