Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 07:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aeronca champion  (Read 1195 times)
Mikek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »

This is my first attempt at a CO2 powered model, Guillow’s Aeronca Champ, laser cut kit. I chose it because it’s inexpensive and pretty rugged looking. Hopefully not too heavy!

Telco motor so of course it had to have a UK color scheme/registration!

Just have the windshield, tailwheel, and final fuselage trim to do.

Here’s a question. How to handle the windshield/side windows? Guillow’s plan calls for making a single piece windshield and side windows that wrap around. Seems too complex!

How would you gents handle the windshield/window installation on a scale cabin model like this? Ive’ glued them to the outside on non scale models, which doesn’t look that great. I suppose one can cover the plastic window edges with tissue strips.

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Aeronca champion
Aeronca champion
Aeronca champion
union model
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »

Hi Mike,

You've made a very nice job on your Guillows Aeronca. My dad made the same model, along time ago (although using his own wood) powered with a Telco, and it flew very well.

Anyway onto your question. Making wind shields in one peice can be tricky. Everyone has their personal choices, however for me I prefer to make them in three separate peices. Ie two sides and front cockpit. I put the wind shields on before I cover the model. Applied with Balsaloc when dry, iron on, with a cool iron keeps the wind shields in place.

For the windshields, I use A4 size clear aceatate sheet, they can be purchased from any local Stationary outlet.

Regards Mike.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »

The side windows don't need to hold any shape so you can use very thin clear stock - the kind of cellophane that some boxed foods are covered in, for example. I use RC56 canopy glue which dries clear.  With such thin plastic you can glue it on the outside without it being noticed.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »

Thanks gentlemen!
Did the windows/windshield in 3 pieces with Formula 560 canopy glue as suggested. Put some tissue strips over the edges.
Was going to do final assembly last night when I managed to knock the stab off my bench onto the floor then promptly ran over it a couple of times with my rolling chair. Brilliant!
Repairs in progress.
Final pictures to follow.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »

Completed Aeronca Champ with Telco motor. A failed experiment I’m afraid. Took it out yesterday and it could only manage a powered glide. Did not appear to have enough thrust to fly.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Aeronca champion
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »

Missing the rest of my post.
All up weight came out 64 g for a wing loading of about .8g/in2. Too heavy for the Telco I guess.
Can’t decide if I should build a new one and try to shave as much weight off as possible, or get a bigger motor and just redo the front end.
Thoughts?
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:49:11 PM »

Presume you've got the power setting up to the max? 

64g does seem pretty heavy though.  Guillows kits do tend to be very heavy both in their wood selection and in their engineering.  A Telco will certainly power a model that size,  but as your first respondent said his father's was built with non-kit wood!

You could take the motor off, bore a hole in the firewall and using a dowel with sandpaper on it you could eviscerate the fuselage and get rid of all the excessive Guillows former wood,  then try again.  I have done this before.

Building a model around that size for rubber using decent wood I would expect between 25-35g and maybe another 10g for rubber so 35-45g all up.  Probably a similar or slightly higher target for CO2 with a Telco - they're pretty light.

Maybe put rubber in this one and build a lighter version for your Telco
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »

Thanks ZK-Aud! Will give sanding the formers down a try.
I’ll have to play with the power setting. I have to admit I don’t know if is at max. It runs so smoothly I didn’t adjust it at all.
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »

I have to admit I don’t know if is at max. It runs so smoothly I didn’t adjust it at all.

It'll make a difference.  It's been a long time since I've lit up a Telco, but I recall quite a difference between low and high settings.
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »

Not wanting to give up on the Aeronca yet.....
1. Took motor mount off, cut hole in firewall and started sanding down the formers as suggested
2. Put Telco on a test stand and played with the throttle settings. Turns out I had it set quite low. Duh!

There may be hope for her to fly yet. This learning curve sure is steep!
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »

Don't forget to oil the motor - it's the non-clean part of clean CO2 power...  Grin  but it will make a noticeable difference to the power output.

There was an article in AeroModeller a few issues ago testing different oil types, by some bloke  Lips sealed, that suggested light sewing machine oil is best, a couple of drops every few engine runs. I flick the motor over to distribute the oil before filling with CO2.

Apologies if you already knew this
Good luck
Nigel
Mikek
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »

Success( sort of)!
Took the Aeronca out this morning and got a few short flights in before a hard nose dive resulted in breaking the firewall. Has enough thrust at near full power to make a gentle right hand circle at about 20 ft of altitude.
Plan on building another one and trying to really decrease the weight. I think there’s hope!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: