Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2018, 09:40:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
 
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion  (Read 1360 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
chrislgl
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 4
Offline Offline

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Posts: 41

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 05:29:03 AM »

I next created the decals. I used water slide decal paper both clear and white backed and used an inkjet printer in conjunction with my Silhouette Portrait cutter. This was useful for creating the registration letters by using the software to print a block of the light grey colour and then cutting letters out from that block of colour. I also used a similar method for the roundels, printing the outer colour ring edge larger than required and then using the cutter to cut them to size.

I should mention that the decals need a couple of coats of satin varnish to make the ink water proof before cutting them out.

The aircraft that I have modelled is in the colours of No.317 Polish Squadron restored by the Historic Aircraft Collection and based at Duxford which was also flying at this years ‘Flying Legends’ Airshow at Duxford.

I also created a set of ‘wheels up’ decals to apply to the underside of the wings.

All the decals were applied to the model using ‘Humbrol DecalFix’, both for soaking the decal and also when applying to the model. This I find gets them firmly fixed to the model.  I added some basic (aileron) control surface hinge lines with a Sharpie pen When fully dry I gave the model a light coat of Acrylic satin varnish to further protect the decals and paint.

The ‘Dave Banks’ pilot was painted and fixed into place, and finally the cockpit canopy was carefully trimmed to fit and then masked to paint the cockpit frames. Once dry it was stuck in place using canopy glue.

The finished model with battery in place amazingly balanced at the recommended CG without the need of any ballast. Although it must be noted that this may change when it comes to flying as previous experience of similar conversions has shown that the CG needs to be moved slightly forward compared to the originals. – Time will tell….

When the summer weather returns I look forward to its maiden flight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Re: VMC Spitfire RC Conversion
Logged
dputt7
Platinum Member
******

Kudos: 79
Offline Offline

Australia Australia

Posts: 1,785




Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »

  Very Nice work, a great job on the finishing, hope it all goes well for you, Kudos
Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member
********

Kudos: 152
Offline Offline

Australia Australia

Posts: 4,257



Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »

I can see that nicely finished model flying very well. The matt finish , glazing and pilot (with a Crabby cookie duster) really set it off.

I would expect the longitudinal dihedral to possibly be excessive for RC - but it will depend on how much heavier than the rubber FF version and how fast it flies.

Good luck with it.

John
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!