Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 23, 2019, 11:46:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bell P39 Airacobra 18"  (Read 2473 times)
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »

Free Flyer,

Thanks! The landing gear is functional. The front one is mounted on 2 wires 0.8mm joined together. Big tube is made of tissue, small one is the rubber insulation of the paper clip, so its flexible and shock resistant. I will fly it only outdoors.

I attached the wings. The tissue I am using is ok to work wet but not perfect and it tore on 2 of the front gun rails. I had to patch it and overlap was not to be avoided with my skills. Hopefully dope will help here. Its a bit nose heavy atm so looks no ballast will be needed. Rubber will move CG backwards. The weight: 14.13g Wink

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bell P39 Airacobra 18"

FF - flying first! - building second?
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 06:26:43 AM »

Hey Guys,

I managed to finish that thing in a hurry (bad idea). Adding white parts of markings half an hour before going flying- even worse idea. Flying it... That was not that bad idea, apart from a wind direction. I try not to fly when the wind blows in the direction of the trees, even if its only a breeze (it wasn't that day). I still decided to give it a try and made few test flights. The last flight before ending up on a tall tree was on about 50% of turns, so this airplane was having a lot of potential in terms of flying. The only video of it I managed to get from this short session is here and its poor 40 seconds one. Probably I will not get it back even if it falls down, its green and its green everywhere. See you in the next build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVKoWIFVSY

Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »

What a shame! It looks to me as if that model will fall out of the tree quickly - perhaps just a change of wind direction will do it. If it's in a public place though, I guess it's a question of whether you get to it before some children or a dog gets to it. . .

It would be a shame to lose such a nicely-finished model. I hope you can retrieve it. Impressive performance from initial trim flights too!

Stephen.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 131

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »

You can’t or won’t climb for it? I have on occasion done a risk assessment and embarked on a carefully thought out climb. True, a lifetime in a wheelchair is not an equal trade for a handful of hours and a toy plane! I did go up about 30 ft in an oak to rescue a plane once. Silly sacrifice. Don’t do it.

The Threadkiller!
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »

Trees:  I usually send my wife........ Grin Grin
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 81

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »

That's a pity, don't despair though, I had a Coupe stuck up the top of a very tall tree and I would visit it every day after work for a week before it fell to a lower branch and I could retrieve it with some tent poles taped together.
   Good luck!
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »

Thanks guys for the suggestions:) Crabby, I used to climb lots of trees in the past, but those ones are very climbing unfriendly, no chance to do that. Its probably more than 30ft, but not the height would be the main issue there.
Yes, it is possible it will fall down, so I will keep on checking, but its so green and thick there it will be a challenge to find it.
Next plane - bright colours Smiley

pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »

I bought this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763V51CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Haven't had a chance to try it because the plane I had stuck on a roof came down while waiting on delivery.

I have also used fishing line with a 1/2 ounce sinker with a sling shot to shake limbs.... as long as the line plays out easily it is amazing how far you can shoot a line. You can use the fishing line to send up a stronger rope.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »

Grin  great flight.  what did you expect the tree to do Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh  they dine on planes you know

jim Grin
Free Flyer

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

Proof that gravity is caused by trees. Sorry to hear that your beauty is stuck above terra firma. I must say again you did such a great job. Clean, neat and accurately executed. Ive been looking at and considering purchasing a GAR P39. Anybody know the quality of the kit? Fitnezz, looking at your build makes my day!  Salut!

Free Flight

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »

Grin ; Grin 

can't speak for the p39 but gar kits are generally good.  take it step by step though

jim Grin
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 03:47:38 PM »

I feel your pain!

Try a kite specialty shop or the Internet for 30', telescoping, fiberglass kite pole.  They telescope down to about 4' for carrying. That's what we use for retrieval poles out here.  Sometimes we even have to use them indoors!

Howard
(kittyfritters)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:04:34 PM by kittyfritters » Logged

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »

Yeah those telescopic things are nice, maybe would be smart to think about getting one. Free Flyer, I dont know about the kits, but Clarence Mather's plan published online looks very nice, but that's for a scratch build of course. By the way I was very unhappy about the end result (covering and adding markings in a hurry). I would say in a very diplomatic language - visually not my best one, good flier though Smiley Lessons learned and thats always nice...

Cheers!

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »

It's not just trees that eat planes. Roll Eyes

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »

I once lashed together every long thing I could find and put a hook on it to rescue a peanut 13m up a tree.  After an hour of trying I managed to get the hook over the branch with the object of bending or snapping it sufficiently to release the model.  Too much brute force and ignorance.  Branch broke and came down with and on top of the model from 13m up!  Peanut butter!  Huh
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »

Yeah Fitnezz, your Airacobra IS REALLY STUCK    Huh Huh Huh.   And those tree limbs are too thin    Shocked    to climb way up there, blowing and wavering around in the winds aloft.   That was an excellent video too - very nice flight.  Thanks for the red circle in the pic to find the plane, and good luck finding it after it comes down.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

PS   Concrete car parking curb blocks also devour models.   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:39:36 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
fitnezz
Silver Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »

Haha LASTWOODSMAN, nice photos! Looking at the middle one, I have a feeling you were still pretty lucky, could go way worse Smiley

Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 131

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »

HA HA HA is right! reminds me of the thing my Olde Man used to say: "If the dog hadn't stopped to S%$%#@T (or in this case P!$$) he'd 'av caught the rabbit" (or in this case found the plane!)HA HA HA Grin Grin

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: