Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 15, 2018, 03:34:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eddie Riding - Buckminster 2018  (Read 596 times)
Squirrelnet
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »

I've been a member of this forum for some time but in a purely lurking capacity and to access the excellent plans gallery  Wink

I thought I would change that and as a way of an introduction I'd post some pics from yesterdays Eddie Riding at Buckminster.

I recognise a few names on the site already but if you were there I flew my DH60 Cirrus Moth in the event along with a CO2 Bleriot XI.

Photo's include - Mike Smiths  Trophy winning HP/400 and power scale winning Sopwith Snipe, my own 2nd placed DH 60, Bill Dennis's Hannover CII and winning rubber scale Jungman, Pete Fardell's 3rd placed Eindecker and Monz's Avro Shackleton

I have a short video of some of the flights in the first round which I'll post later

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Eddie Riding - Buckminster 2018
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »

Thanks for those Chris. It was a fairly successful first running of the ER at the National Centre and we learned that the site is adequate for this kind of event, being no smaller than OW and with hazards that can be avoided. It could have done with more support; those who turned up were spread across five classes. Hopefully more will turn up and fly. It was good to have the ER back and thanks to the hard-working organisers
Bill
Squirrelnet
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »

There's a video here of my Bleriot XI failing to qualify Grin, Mike Smith's HP 0/400, Bill's Jungman and Monz's Shackleton

https://youtu.be/uN5mn5BPWmk

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 80

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »

Thanks for posting these, Chris, and good to see you again yesterday. Your Moth was going very well indeed. Congratulations on the 2nd place and your Bleriot looked very good up close too (and for the time it was skybound!)

I had a highly enjoyable day. My Eindecker was flying very nicely and I'm sort of hoping someone got a pic or two of it in flight, if not an actual video. On one flight it just hovered into wind for about half a minute and came down like a slow parachute. Very pleased with my 3rd place after deciding to bring my best flyer, rather than my best from a static judging viewpoint. I really must try and stick to this rule, as it always makes for more fun, regardless of placings. One wing joint seemed a little too flexible after the first three rounds so I ran a bit of glue in during the long lunch break. Not a good enough fix apparently, as in round 4 it suffered a midflight wing failure, so that was it for contest flights from me for the day. Just about repaired now though (and strengthened) ready for Old Warden in a couple of weeks. I gave the Callair another whirl in the break too, but only succeeded in damaging it. Also now repaired, but I need longer grass before I try again I think.

A few pics attached. First shows the new Eddie Riding Trophy winning Fairchild in action over the golden field. Congats to Bill for that and for his rubber win too. A very nice collection of silverware was on offer at this E.J. Riding event, so well done all who hauled some home!
Other pics: Bill's winning Fairchild and winning Jungman, my Fokker with Mike Stuart's Seamew (which placed second in rubber), Chris Braintree's CO2 Bleriot and the table with those already mentioned plus Martin Pike's Widgeon and Mike's Saab jet, with Chris's Moth in the background.
Re: Eddie Riding - Buckminster 2018
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:11:53 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

And a couple of videos...
A much better flight of Monz's Shackleton, which gets nice and high and looks great in the air.
https://youtu.be/syxlUmxuL_k
(Her big heavy picnic table had a dramatic flight too, picked up by an alarming mini-whirlwind which left other people's models on the ground untouched!)

And my Agricola which I was just flying for fun at the end, whilst waiting for the judges to crunch all the scores.
https://youtu.be/QHujEJgVwQE

Big thanks to all who ran and organised this event. It was my first fime at the venue and I thought the place was most impressive, and the cool, airy hangar was a godsend on such a parched day.
Hope there's lots more scale FF events at Buckminster. I'll be back like a shot!
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »

Thanks for posting and for pics Chris - and welcome to the forum.

And well done on your placing!

Jon
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »

There are some more photos on the Peterborough website today...
http://www.peterboroughmfc.org/Gallery2018/2018-09-BuckJul07/2018-09-BuckJul07.htm
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »

Thanks all for posting .... I had been looking forward so much to this event and then couldn't get there.
Squirrelnet
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 02:19:23 AM »

Thanks all for the welcome.

Nice video of Monz's Shackleton Pete, such an impressive model.

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »

That is very pleasing to read and view. Thank you Chris. Admittedly the weather helps but surely this will go some way ensure the event for future years is going to be successful.  I regret not being there.  Very good to see of course that Buckminster lends itself to this kind of event.
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »

I made the trip to Buckminster on Saturday, and even with a two and a half hour drive each way, it was definitely worth it.  I've not flown at the site before, so I was keen to see how it would work as a venue for a scale competition.  As Bill has already commented, it proved very suitable - the qualifying time for a flight was set at 20 seconds for all classes which was fine.  Any models that flew into adjoining fields were easily retrieved, though Ivan Taylor went a bit overboard with the timer setting on his marvellous ducted fan English Electric Lighting (must have been a minute) and he had a very long retrieve! 

I had some good flights with my Short Seamew in Rubber, and finished second to Bill Dennis's Bucker Jungmann. I didn't manage a qualifying flight with my Rapier powered Saab J-29, but witnessed a first - one flight flew into the ground because of a poor launch, and as I ran over to chuck it again, it started sliding over the stubble under its own power, and proceeded to take off and climb out to continue its flight!

I only took one video - the best flight of Monique's Shackleton (different angle to Peter's)  It had a bit more rubber in that last time out, so climbed higher than I've seen.  As the model starts to descend, you can see one of the prop noseblocks fall out, which is what I think caused the relatively steep end to the flight.  Sadly the model was quite badly damaged soon afterwards by a powerful localised mini thermal "trash lifter", the like of which I've never seen before, (Monique's picnic table/bench combo went flying high into the air).  Sheer bad luck - the phenomenon could have only been about 10 feet across, and just happened to move past her car.  Anyway, here is the flight:

https://youtu.be/fouywnisCJU

It was good to see the Eddie Riding event back on the calendar - let's hope we can build on the success of this meeting with a few more entrants next year.

Mike S
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 74

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Nice photos everyone. I am always impressed at the level of craftsmanship on display at your BMFA contests. Impressive (and intimidating).  Can't help but wonder, given all of the talk on the news of heat waves etc., whether the FF community in the UK have noticed more or less windy days etc.? FF people are very sensitive to the weather in general so I expect that you all should have a good sense of whether things are changing fo the better or worse in the UK?

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »

Nice photos everyone. I am always impressed at the level of craftsmanship on display at your BMFA contests. Impressive (and intimidating).  Can't help but wonder, given all of the talk on the news of heat waves etc., whether the FF community in the UK have noticed more or less windy days etc.? FF people are very sensitive to the weather in general so I expect that you all should have a good sense of whether things are changing fo the better or worse in the UK?

BG
It´s been a pretty windy year so far, without the usual calming down in the evening, but we have been lucky with our meetings, especially this last one. All the wind seemed to be concentrated in the tornado Mike described!
Monz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 84

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »

Thanks guys for taking the time to film my flights.

If you have a look at Mike's video, in the first few seconds after launch, note how the right wing has worked itself rearwards... That flight was so close to ending in a one winged spiral of death!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »

Monz how bad is the subsequent wind related damage?
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »

Thanks for this thread Squirrelnet.

Impressive models indeed. Monz' Shackleton still looks grand - bad news about the dust devil Monz - I hope the model can be repaired.

I really like Bill's Jungman in flight - it looks just right.

. . .changing fo the better or worse in the UK?
BG, it's hard to be sure of any long-term change, but a very long run of lousy summers has made it look 'for the worse'. There have been long episodes of east winds this year - relentless day and night, don't diminish at sunset as Bill notes. . .

But then, despite a non-Spring and a very lame early summer, where I live we've already had more fine weather this summer than from the whole duration of any summer I can easily remember - probably 2006 compares well.

Stephen.
Squirrelnet
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »

Speaking of Bill's Jungman I found a few more on my phone .

..a front view of Mike Smith's Snipe, my own not so detailed Bleriot XI, a close up of the silhouette pilots that work so well in the Shackleton and er Bill using Gareth as a stooge
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 147

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »

Thanks for the nice reports fellows. it's good to see your national Centre being used and with so many nice models. It looks there was plenty of space inside as well.

I agree with Stephen - the Jungman  looks very nice in the air and seems very stable as well.

Bad luck Monz - that sort of mini trash mover is more common here in Oz. I hope you will repair it.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: