Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 05:50:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wright Amount of Wrong  (Read 652 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

I flew my Wright Amount of Wrong in an outdoor contest for the first time last Sunday. This was actually my first FAC contest.  It was a bit windy but the contest at the "Grassy Knoll" in the Sepulveda Basin went on anyway.  I had flown it in indoor contests for a couple of years and I had tested it outdoors but the trim with enough winds for an outdoor contest in bouncy air was very different.  The surprising thing was that when it hits a thermal climbing with a substantial number of winds still on the rubber it tends to roll out of the thermal. Literally, a barrel roll!  After watching this happen on a couple of flights I came to the conclusion that a smaller diameter prop may solve this peculiarity.  I'll test this at the O.F.F.C. session Wednesday morning.  Also, this was the prototype that I didn't put the wheel pants on and the lack of the 3 bonus points cost me!

Ron Boots, the winner of the contest, really deserved the Canone. I finished second but I will be better prepared next time.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Wright Amount of Wrong
Wright Amount of Wrong

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:37 AM »

Correction...I finished third.  Oh yes, it's spelled Kanone.  Roll Eyes

Howard

mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:43:53 AM »

Sir,
Is that the Bill Watson of man-powered flight fame? I think it was he who I saw speck out a big RC glider from a hand toss at the Taft free-flight champs in 1979.  I was there with the late Martyn Cowley.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »

Sir,
Is that the Bill Watson of man-powered flight fame? I think it was he who I saw speck out a big RC glider from a hand toss at the Taft free-flight champs in 1979.  I was there with the late Martyn Cowley.

Yes, it is.  I asked him this morning at the O.F.F.C. meeting.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Wright Amount of Wrong

mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »

Sir,
Many thanks for your reply - nice to have that link brought back to life over a near 40-year gap!
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: