Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2018, 03:15:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trailing edge tool  (Read 700 times)
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »

I am always trying to find things I can build with my 3D printer.  I didn't have any flyable planes ready for this weekend so I drew up this trailing edge tool.  Cool thing is I can prototype this fairly quick to see if it needs any adjustment.  This is designed to use a double edge razor because  they seem sharper.  It can handle up to 1/8".  I'll use screws to hold down the razor blade (I added the screw holes to the print)  Work in progress will let everyone know how it works out.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Trailing edge tool
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »

Does it provide for different widths?

Looks really neat.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

I am going to try spacers for different widths.  I am going print it up try it and see what I have to do to make it work for different widths.  Then I can print up spacers if that works out.  Totally experimental for now.
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »

Brilliant!

You might need a stiffening bridge over the top of the blade.

Years ago you could buy TE stock as small as 1/8 X 1/16 but it seems to be unavailable now.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »

A couple of suggestions:

Angle the blade so that it is slicing rather than working like a chisel.

Select your balsa stock so that cutting the grain forces the strip onto the base of the device somewhat like the best way of using a carpenters plane.

I use an adjustable carving guide for various set TE strip widths (1.5, 2.5, 3, 4, 4.5 etc) using spacers and any taper (set with a vernier depth gauge) and carve the TE strip using a single edge blade. The last operation is a gentle sanding with pine grit paper. The guides for the blade are hardened stainless steel rules with edges lapped true on a sheet of glass.

I have found that care is needed with the angle of the blade and the grain of the balsa strip otherwise the balsa will lift of the base of the carving guide and possibly be ruined.

I can post pictures if there is any interest.

Paul
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »

Hi Paul - by all means, please post a couple of pics to show us.   Smiley    Thanks

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 08:29:55 AM »

I had thought about angling the blade as well, sounds like a good idea.  I also thought about making the blade angle adjustable but that seemed to be more than I wanted to try for the first attempt.  I'll redraw with the blade angled.  Yes pictures would be helpful, thanks.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »

OK. Tomorrow. It is 10:30 pm here.

Paul
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »

I added angle to the blade which should help push the balsa against the guide.  It still can cut up to 22 mm.so it is more than I will need.
Re: Trailing edge tool
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »

That's brilliant!  Now if you could make something that would make leading edges...…. Roll Eyes

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »

Clever gizmo.  Scares ME though ..keep thinking of those late night TV  Kitchen Magician "mandolin device adverts.
A quick way to shorten one's fingers Cheesy   

Flitetest has a similar printable  (stl) for a 45 d cutter .. to cut foam core edges  Also a razor plane. Located both in Thingiverse and Flitetst IIRC
 Saw a very nice device for sanding ACCURATE Drela airfoils/leading edges on DLHG's
 A  Female form of the intended airfoil from leading edge back to the high point of the foil ..Sand paper lined and  sized to compensate for paper thicknesses.
 Drela foils require Extreme accuracy.
Apparently one dutifully sands until the tool bottoms out against the leading edge. 
Nothing mentioned about ensuring a dead straight LE though.. presumably a certain skill level is assumed.
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »

Yeah does look a bit dangerous.....I will be careful during experimental phase and will probably design a pusher to avoid using my fingers as I get close to the blade.
SteveSw
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »

I got bored years ago and made up something similar to strip balsa for laminating using the blades from disposable razors and some scrap balsa. This was before I sprung for a Jones stripper. They did work pretty good. I did make one also for stripping 1/8 by 1/16 tapered trailing edges. I found that it was hard to get satisfactory results on anything but the softest balsa. Good luck on yours and very interested in your efforts! Just looked and can't believe I still had a couple.
Re: Trailing edge tool
RolandD6
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »

OK. Tomorrow. It is 10:30 pm here.

Paul

See http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23449.new#new
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »

Okay this one was a fail.....the razor blade isn't stiff enough.  I may try to redesign with a single edge but I suspect that won't be much better.  There are several print plans for holding a Dremel tool so I make look at using that with a router bit.  Then it would handle hard balsa as well....gotta think on it a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: