Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 05:58:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super Capacitor from toy model on custom foam wing/balsa stick  (Read 329 times)
dlasich
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:17:25 PM »

After trying E20 electric free flight, I decided to play around with super capacitor free flight.  I thought they wouldn't have much performance but have been very pleasantly surprised.  I'm getting 2 min flights on 15 sec charge and don't have to worry about timers or lithium batteries.  I put the 615 coreless motor/prop and capacitor from a $13 toy unit onto a balsa stick with a 16" wing.  flying weight is about 12g.  Here's some pics and flight video.

https://youtu.be/3b0-4_0G1es
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Super Capacitor from toy model on custom foam wing/balsa stick
wcstoddart
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:37:18 AM »

Hi David,

I was impressed by the performance of your model and so I bought the $13 power system.  Please post the design details and information on the molded foam wing.

best wishes,
Chris Stoddart

dlasich
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »

One thing to note is the motor is set-up as a pusher configuration.  You can actually see in the picture a spot on the wing center section where I first bonded on a pylon with the motor set up as a pusher.  But I noticed the roll stability was a marginal... it would fly right.. then circle left.. then right again etc... so I decided to move the motor to the nose and set it up as a tractor, which lowered the c.g. and it definitely flies more stable.  I now have it flying right power, and right glide consistently.

When doing this mod I noticed the motor was actually wired to spin the wrong direction.  Coreless motors will spin either way, but one way will wear the contacts much faster.  The direction should be based on the color of the wires, Clockwise Motor( red and blue wires ), Anti-clockwise Motor( black and white wires ).  So I revered the wires, and pulled the prop off and turned it around... and it's now flying in a tractor/pull configuration. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: