Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 15, 2018, 03:49:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: %$#@!!Profanity....  (Read 550 times)
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 124

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »

....is the grammatical crutch for the articulately handicapped (crippled) I went to Ace hardware this am looking for Duct Seal because I wanted to share a pic (from the shelf) and a cure for my ballast troubles: I cant find good old fashioned modelers clay, plasticene seems to have taken its place, and won't stick anyway,plus it melts. Next up was Tungsten putty which is priced for the Merlot, Brie & Learjet set, and won't stick either. At the field guys treat their putty supply like its Gold, nobody wants to give you any....Then Tom Arnold told me about Monkey $#it (Duct Seal) which I bought, and it works like a charm doesn't melt all over the place or get hard, plus it stays where you put it, and $3.79 buys you a pound. I don't care how much Merlot you drink you can't high-brow that price! Now the hard part, the terminology. If you go looking for it, and say Duct Seal, most won't know what you are talking about. If you say Monkey $#it you will be scolded for using profanity. Here is what the $#it looks like on the shelf! Rotsa Ruck $#@!!$**&* amn it!!!  More %%$$#ing luke-warm Pabst, vicar!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
%$#@!!Profanity....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:35:08 AM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 10:38:56 AM »

MY MY YOU ARE CRABBY  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes and probably with good reason!

jim Grin
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

Eloquently put.  I wonder what it is called in the UK?  Are you able to say why it is known as Simian Faeces? So is it heavy - like the tungsten clay but buyable?  Is it something a plumber would know about.   
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »

I am not familiar with the "simeon" feces, but next trip to the zoo I am gonna do research. A plumber might use plumbers putty but it dries up too quickly for our use. The guys who install heating and air conditioning ducts use "simeon" feces! Roll Eyes
It is probably similar to tungsten clay in weight. Tell you what.... I will weigh some and get back!

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »

Thanks old chum.  With SF I was simply following your example and avoiding the vernacular. 
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:19:02 PM »

HVAC guys use it.  I would think plumbers might.  But, unless it has changed, it may stain or discolor your tissue as it slowly leaches an oily substance.  Or more accurately, the old stuff used to...Might be different now.
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:02:28 AM »

When I was a lad I sometimes acted as a sort of apprentice to a friend's father, who owned a small light engineering business. My friend went on to become an engineer and later an engineering lecturer or professor in American parlance. The firm used to service printing machinery, commercial refrigerators and similar and sometimes used to manufacture spares. I remember a substance that was used to ensure strong joints between lengths of tube that I believe was officially known as jointing paste, but in the workshop was always referred to in Dublin parlance as monkey shite. The extra e is more or less standard in Ireland and parts of England too. I can't imagine it having any aeromodelling applications. It was a reddish brown substance, hence the vernacular name, I suppose. Nobody in Dublin would have regarded that as profanity in my day and they are even more relaxed now.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 10:51:25 AM »

This probably wouldn't work for your application but it's perfect for mine. 5" of *&#$@** 1/16" sq. bass.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: %$#@!!Profanity....
Crabby
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

Try gluing a fly to the front end for the power source!

The Threadkiller!
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »

Mixing lead shot into modeling clay works (within reason) and helps keep the applied, thus visual, amount to a minimum. Bird shot works best ,IMHO, but have used BB's. Wonder if it would work with simian shite?

Last batch of modeling clay I found was at the local $ store. IIRC, it was four cellophane wrapped sticks,  1""x 1" x4".  I'm still taking ballast from the blue stick, with red. yellow and green untouched, so far.

For gas models and towline gliders, etc., I usually build in ballast boxes in nose, and perhaps under Balance Point. Pour in lead shot, add subtract as req, then pour in a bit of glue or perhaps a finished cover or plug.

One final tip is to use sheet lead, cut in strips, then cut to length and glued to underside of model, or along side of nose (HLG). This can be filed, even sanded to remove wt.  Add a bit clay (or MS?) to fine tune. Sheet lead is used by roofing contractors as moldable flashing. It's usually about 1/16" (1.5mm) and may be  sourced from scraps.  Lead from old tire balancing weights or even fishing sinkers can be hammered thin, into paper and or foil thicknesses and cut to shapes with blade or shears, etc. Exposed to the air, the surface turns dark gray. Casting melted lead is possible, but there are safety issues that HAVE to be observed, to avoid extremely toxic fumes and or exploding molds!
Mike1484
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 05:44:22 PM »

Golf shops have lead tape that comes in rolls . It has a sticky back to it and works great on hand launch gliders and small rubber jobs . It can be filed and cut with shears . Modeling clay is found in craft stores or where they sell art supplies .

Mike1484
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: